Letter Showing Covid within the last 90 Days

PhotoGal07

Our luck ran out a couple weeks ago, and our family got covid.  As of today, I’m still testing positive.  Has anyone had any experience providing the letter from your healthcare provider and lab results showing that you’ve had covid within the last 90 days?  Did they take it without issue?  Were there extra hoops to jump through?  Any problems with it being accepted?

you need to have proof (PCR TEST) not just your average home test.   Your doctor then has to sign a note stating you have had covid and are recovered.   There are a couple of other things that need to be on the letter such as your name, doctor's name/address, DOB.   Make sure you take a PCR TEST a couple of weeks before you cruise so you have enough time 10-14 days showing that you have recovered.

My dad went thru this same ordeal

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.18.01 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When boarding the Regal in Barcelona in early April, staff ignored the test showing recent Covid infection and made me get pre-boarding test. That delayed my boarding by 40 minutes. I had tested negative before leaving the US to make sure I wouldn't have any problems. That test was not within the required testing frame because of my travel schedule.

Edited by patrickmoran

50 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

When boarding the Regal in Barcelona in early April, staff ignored the test showing recent Covid infection and made me get pre-boarding test. That delayed my boarding by 40 minutes. I had tested negative before leaving the US to make sure I wouldn't have any problems. That test was not within the required testing frame because of my travel schedule.

Did you have both the test and a letter from a healthcare provider?  Did they ask for more information or did they just require a pre-boarding test without care?  That's rather troubling.

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

you need to have proof (PCR TEST) not just your average home test.   Your doctor then has to sign a note stating you have had covid and are recovered.   There are a couple of other things that need to be on the letter such as your name, doctor's name/address, DOB.   Make sure you take a PCR TEST a couple of weeks before you cruise so you have enough time 10-14 days showing that you have recovered.

My dad went thru this same ordeal

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.18.01 PM.png

Yes, I have all of that.  My concern is that even though it's posted on-line that it may be ignored by those in charge of boarding.

2 hours ago, PhotoGal07 said:

Did you have both the test and a letter from a healthcare provider?  Did they ask for more information or did they just require a pre-boarding test without care?  That's rather troubling.

Never got to show. Told to get test.

Now P's policy says those using the past infection exception to test will have further evaluation by staff before boarding. So maybe not much time wasted getting embarkation test.

My dad's antigen tests were all negative, but since we knew he had covid in the past 90 days, I kind of insisted (no, I demanded) he get a PCR test JUST IN CASE the cruise line decided to PCR tests for whatever reason.   Then he would show up positive and SOL if he didn't have the doctor's letter and his butt would be quarantined no matter how much he tried to explain he had covid 3 months ago.

Before the cruise we took the proctored EMED Antigen test and he showed negative.    That's what he used when he boarded, but he had all the other information (old PCR test and doctor's letter) for the "just in case".

• Like 2

Very timely subject in that I have recently tested positive for Covid and am scheduled to sail in early July.

Princess has been unclear in respect to this topic.

I do not believe that Princess has specified the type of test required.  

There are three types of tests available.  The rapid antigen test, the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test, and the NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test) test.  The last two listed are what the Canadian’s would classify as “Molecular tests” in that they test for the viral RNA.  

The PCR is a bit more invasive then the NAAT Test.  The NAAT has a faster turnaround.

One problem is that, especially with the PCR,  this type of assay  is very sensitive and an individual may remain positive for weeks after being tested. 

In my case I was initially negative for the Antigen Test but strongly positive the next day.  The day after I had the NAAT done by Walgreen’s and had the results (positive) back in two hours.

Currently talking Paxlovid. 

DH and I both tested positive (PCR and 3rd Party Antigen a few days later).  We have both of those official "you got COVID" documents.  Both tests are within 90 Days of our early June Cruise and we have both completed 10+ days in isolation.  In a few days we're going to a "licensed Medical Professional" (CDC's wording for our flight back from Canada, post cruise) to get our "you are recovered" letter on Medical office's letterhead and with our names and DOBs.  Sure hoping that works; but, PatrickMoran's experience above has me a bit concerned.  I'm pretty sure that we'd test positive on a PCR Test 6 weeks after getting sick; and, can't rule out testing positive on an Antigen Test either.  Literature I've seen indicates we'd likely test positive on an Antigen test for 10 days to 6 weeks after being infected.

1 hour ago, USNA 72 said:

DH and I both tested positive (PCR and 3rd Party Antigen a few days later).  We have both of those official "you got COVID" documents.  Both tests are within 90 Days of our early June Cruise and we have both completed 10+ days in isolation.  In a few days we're going to a "licensed Medical Professional" (CDC's wording for our flight back from Canada, post cruise) to get our "you are recovered" letter on Medical office's letterhead and with our names and DOBs.  Sure hoping that works; but, PatrickMoran's experience above has me a bit concerned.  I'm pretty sure that we'd test positive on a PCR Test 6 weeks after getting sick; and, can't rule out testing positive on an Antigen Test either.  Literature I've seen indicates we'd likely test positive on an Antigen test for 10 days to 6 weeks after being infected.

I recovered about 10 days ago and got letter of recovery from Dr.  which includes language that the “CDC does not recommend getting tested again in the three months after a positive viral test as long as you do not have symptoms”  

Kaiser ( my provider) will not do PCR tests for 90 days because they say it’s likely that the PCR will come back positive even though no longer contagious  (because if what the test measures). Dr said stick with Antigen tests if needed for travel before the 90 days is over (my over the counter Antigen tests are now negative).  Hopefully your antigen tests will be negative by the time you travel. But it’s good to have the letter of recovery and proof of positive test as back up in case you need to show it. 

• Thanks 2

I am following this too. Tested positive with antigen test on May 3. Have letter saying I was positive. Board the Majestic on June 25 and fly out of Vancouver two days after disembarkation. Need to pass embarcation test and test to fly back to US.

13 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

I am following this too. Tested positive with antigen test on May 3. Have letter saying I was positive. Board the Majestic on June 25 and fly out of Vancouver two days after disembarkation. Need to pass embarcation test and test to fly back to US.

Do you have the letter of recovery as well?   Hopefully by June 25 you can take an antigen test that’s negative and avoid the worry! 

9 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

I recovered about 10 days ago and got letter of recovery from Dr.  which includes language that the “CDC does not recommend getting tested again in the three months after a positive viral test as long as you do not have symptoms”  

Kaiser ( my provider) will not do PCR tests for 90 days because they say it’s likely that the PCR will come back positive even though no longer contagious  (because if what the test measures). Dr said stick with Antigen tests if needed for travel before the 90 days is over (my over the counter Antigen tests are now negative).  Hopefully your antigen tests will be negative by the time you travel. But it’s good to have the letter of recovery and proof of positive test as back up in case you need to show it. 

We are Kaiser members as well.   I am hoping this is a dot phase letter in Healthconect as it seems to cover most questions.  Thanks for sharing.  Just in case…we need it.  

Note that, in theory at least, you need the positive test for 10 to 90 days ago  OR   the letter from the health official, not both, under Princess guidance.

However, in practice it doesn't seem like it matters at all because if you try to go this route Princess will just have you do additional screening, which will be an antigen test. So you're going to have to pass a Covid test one way of the other anyway. Having had Covid within 90 days doesn't seem to really help you get on the ship.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

21 hours ago, USNA 72 said:

I'm pretty sure that we'd test positive on a PCR Test 6 weeks after getting sick; and, can't rule out testing positive on an Antigen Test either.  Literature I've seen indicates we'd likely test positive on an Antigen test for 10 days to 6 weeks after being infected.

If my personal anecdote makes you feel any better, my wife and I tested positive for Covid on February 24th and on March 24th we both tested negative before a cruise. Rapid NAAT test (at Walgreens, formerly known as ID-NOW test) both times. About 3 weeks after my positive test a home antigen test I did out of curiosity was negative too. So you might be negative, at least on some tests, 6 weeks later.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

So, if Princess's "additional screening" is an Antigen Test; who pays?  What happens if you test positive on the additional screening (I'm assuming the additional screening is an Antigen test and not a temperature check)?

5 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

If my personal anecdote makes you feel any better, my wife and I tested positive for Covid on February 24th and on March 24th we both tested negative before a cruise. Rapid NAAT test (at Walgreens, formerly known as ID-NOW test) both times. About 3 weeks after my positive test a home antigen test I did out of curiosity was negative too. So you might be negative, at least on some tests, 6 weeks later.

My positive test was 3 weeks ago, tested negative 10 days after positive. Just took an Antigen test ( as my dr suggested) for upcoming cruise and it was also negative. So for those who had Covid within the last 90 days I would use the Antigen test for pre-cruise travel.