Carnival

babs135

Rightly or wrongly Carnival has a reputation for their ships to be 'fun ships' and, again rightly or wrongly, on this basis we have avoided booking with them.  However, they are showing some fantastic prices for the Pride out of Dover and I'm wondering whether I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face.  Anyone sailed with them and what was it like?

I have not done a Europe or UK cruise with Carnival, but I have taken them for multiple Caribbean, multiple Mexico, 2 Alaska, Hawaii and Panama Canal cruises. The Caribbean and Mexico cruises, especially the 3 and 4 day cruises, are more high-energy than other cruise lines that I have been on. However, the Hawaii and Panama Canal cruises were 14-15 days and were very much an older, quieter crowd.

I will be on the Pride in July of this year for a British Isles cruise and expect it to be on the quieter side with more guests from the UK than from the US. I am looking forward to the upbeat feeling of the Carnival ships.

I don't agree with the "party ship" reputation some people try to attach to Carnival. I am in my mid-60's and enjoy the Carnival atmosphere much more than NCL, which to me is too laid back.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 5:54 AM, babs135 said:

Rightly or wrongly Carnival has a reputation for their ships to be 'fun ships' and, again rightly or wrongly, on this basis we have avoided booking with them.  However, they are showing some fantastic prices for the Pride out of Dover and I'm wondering whether I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face.  Anyone sailed with them and what was it like?

You are cutting your nose off.. Have sailed Carnival  17 times and enjoyed all of them. The 3/4 day cruises attract a young crowds.the other cruises attract a mixed age and are not a 24 hour party as people try to tag Carnival with. Basically, the longer the cruise, the age increases. 

• Like 1

We have been on a number of carnival cruises mostly sailing out of the US but one transatlantic (Vista), they are a good cruise line and are value for money IMHO. The only time I did not enjoy it too much was on a 4 night out of LA to Porta V and Ensenada, a lot of young people wanting to party. I did not bother me too much but it was a bit of an eye opener. I would say go for it and am sure you will be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roybthered said:

We have been on a number of carnival cruises mostly sailing out of the US but one transatlantic (Vista), they are a good cruise line and are value for money IMHO. The only time I did not enjoy it too much was on a 4 night out of LA to Porta V and Ensenada, a lot of young people wanting to party. I did not bother me too much but it was a bit of an eye opener. I would say go for it and am sure you will be fine.

My first Carnival cruise was a 4 day to Nassau and back. Lots of young adults partying. Since I was a lot younger it was a great cruise. To me, a young crowd would not bother me at all either. We now only do 10 day or more cruises. We have long distances to travel and the shorter cruises go by to fast.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've done Carnival stateside, Carnival Med and Carnival N. Europe from Dover on the Pride's sister ship the legend.

The latter cruise was our first ever cruise and the reason why we cruise still.

Carnival have the most US centric vibe for a cruise but there is so much more to their line than that.

Edited by Velvetwater