Ferry to Brooklyn cruise terminal

riffatsea

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hi all

We're staying in lower Manhattan before our cruise

I just discovered a close by ferry route from Pier11 to Brooklyn

It's probably not news to frequent NY cruisers 

Yes, thanks...a good reminder.

The ferry is often mentioned here when someone asks about transportation from lower Manhattan to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

Is it possible to walk from the ferry dock in Brooklyn to the Princess dock?  We’re 80 but in good shape…. Will each be dragging a large suitcase though. On Caribbean Princess at the end of August. 

23 minutes ago, Seaspartan said:

Is it possible to walk from the ferry dock in Brooklyn to the Princess dock?  We’re 80 but in good shape…. Will each be dragging a large suitcase though. On Caribbean Princess at the end of August. 

It is about 100 yards  from getting off the ferry to the cruise terminal — level. If you have wheeled luggage it should not be difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seaspartan said:

Hi,

Are you on the August 31 sailing?

That's the one we're on

We are alo wheeling one suitcase each

We'll be nearby the day before the cruise and will see how far a walk it might be from the Hilton Garden Inn to pier 11

li it's too far to walk we'll take a taxi

1 hour ago, Seaspartan said:

Yes indeed.  See the video below, shot four years or so ago.  I've taken the ferry from Pier 11 in Manhattan to Red Hook (& vice versa) on a number of occasions, though not since before the pandemic hit.

The videos in this playlist show the complete round trip between Pier 11 to Red Hook.  (Shot in June 2017, shortly after the ferry service began):

• Like 1

8 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hi,

Are you on the August 31 sailing?

That's the one we're on

We are alo wheeling one suitcase each

We'll be nearby the day before the cruise and will see how far a walk it might be from the Hilton Garden Inn to pier 11

li it's too far to walk we'll take a taxi

From Hilton Garden you have about a block and a half down to South Street and then another block to Pier 11 - less than 15 minutes, level walk to haul your wheelies on pretty smooth sidewalks.

35 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

From Hilton Garden you have about a block and a half down to South Street and then another block to Pier 11 - less than 15 minutes, level walk to haul your wheelies on pretty smooth sidewalks.

That sounds easily doable!!

Great! Thank you

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

That sounds easily doable!!

Great! Thank you

Actually it is about 2 1/2 blocks along South Street - but they are short blocks.  One of my favorite spots in NYC is 77 Water Street - which you would pass - I do not know if people are allowed on the roof any more, but there is an astroturf runway (No. 77) up on the roof with a full size replica of a World War I fighter plane tied down at one end.  It is only visible from nearby taller buildings —- I wish I could hear the sales pitch of the architect who managed to convince the investors building it that what they really needed was a runway with a replica of a Sopworth Camel (what Snoopy flew against the Red Baron) on their roof.  Now, THAT must have been one awesome sales pitch.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually it is about 2 1/2 blocks along South Street - but they are short blocks.  One of my favorite spots in NYC is 77 Water Street - which you would pass - I do not know if people are allowed on the roof any more, but there is an astroturf runway (No. 77) up on the roof with a full size replica of a World War I fighter plane tied down at one end.  It is only visible from nearby taller buildings —- I wish I could hear the sales pitch of the architect who managed to convince the investors building it that what they really needed was a runway with a replica of a Sopworth Camel (what Snoopy flew against the Red Baron) on their roof.  Now, THAT must have been one awesome sales pitch.

How cool!