Advance CBSA Declaration

WESTEAST

In reading up on the ArriveCAN website as well as the terrific info from this forum (thank you everyone), we found info on the new Advance CBSA Declaration for international passengers arriving by air (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/border-tech-frontiere/declare-before-avant-eng.html); it is an optional feature built into the online version of ArriveCAN (not the mobile app). Only applies to YYZ or YVR at this time and wonder if anyone has had experience using it?  Upon arrival in Canada, one must still scan travel documents at airport kiosk which will then pull up declaration info that you review/certify and then submit.  Am curious if this really saves time?

10 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

In reading up on the ArriveCAN website as well as the terrific info from this forum (thank you everyone), we found info on the new Advance CBSA Declaration for international passengers arriving by air (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/border-tech-frontiere/declare-before-avant-eng.html); it is an optional feature built into the online version of ArriveCAN (not the mobile app). Only applies to YYZ or YVR at this time and wonder if anyone has had experience using it?  Upon arrival in Canada, one must still scan travel documents at airport kiosk which will then pull up declaration info that you review/certify and then submit.  Am curious if this really saves time?

The amount of time saved is probably minimal for each passenger, about the same amount of time that it takes to fill out the declaration electronically. But if you are at the back of the line waiting for access to a kiosk, those few minutes saved by each of the passengers ahead of you are cumulative, and will get you through significantly more quickly.

Like most automated systems, there are other advantages, in this case for CBSA. Elimination of the physical declaration cards and the capture of the data electronically has huge benefits for them.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The amount of time saved is probably minimal for each passenger, about the same amount of time that it takes to fill out the declaration electronically. But if you are at the back of the line waiting for access to a kiosk, those few minutes saved by each of the passengers ahead of you are cumulative, and will get you through significantly more quickly.

Like most automated systems, there are other advantages, in this case for CBSA. Elimination of the physical declaration cards and the capture of the data electronically has huge benefits for them.

Thanks Fouremco as we had the same view.  We will give it a pass at this time. 

• Like 1

I recently used this feature while sitting at the airport in Mexico waiting to board our flight home to Vancouver. More useful than playing solitaire! 😁

The declaration was easy, no line ups at YVR to get through customs, although DH and I did have issues with the photo mechanismm of the new machines in YVR. The old ones tilted up and down, told you to move closer or move back - new ones don't tilt so I stood on my tippee toes and DH had to crouch. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

I recently used this feature while sitting at the airport in Mexico waiting to board our flight home to Vancouver. More useful than playing solitaire! 😁

The declaration was easy, no line ups at YVR to get through customs, although DH and I did have issues with the photo mechanismm of the new machines in YVR. The old ones tilted up and down, told you to move closer or move back - new ones don't tilt so I stood on my tippee toes and DH had to crouch. 🙄

Auto adjusting cameras are pretty common in the consumer world. I wonder why GOC chose not to use the technology.

6 hours ago, dawnvip said:

Thanks dawnvip for feedback as you are first ones we have heard to use it.

We arrived home from Honolulu last night and didn't have to wait for a kiosk even though 9 planes had just arrived.  Our only problem was getting the thing to work.  We had to try three before we got one working properly.  When we got to the customs officer, it was the easiest interrogation ever.  I guess when you have the ArriveCan on your phone, it shows up everything else at the officer's booth.  We were not asked any of the usual questions, how long have you been away, what is the value of items purchased, etc.  It was a piece of cake and the custom's guy joked with us for the short while we were with him.  Such a pleasant change.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2