Upgraded for a solo

KKB

When I try to upgrade, it wants to charge me for 2. (which in most cases is not a deal for me--I could book it for that much more myself).

Is that the only way?

If you are trying to use the "Upgrade Advantage" you should have been able to see in the long list of Terms and Conditions that the pricing is based on Double Occupancy.

In your case, it might work best to try calling for upgrading yourself!

I sail solo most of the time. Using Upgrade Advantage, yes, your bid will be doubled, so keep that in mind. I think of what I'm willing to pay in total and divide by two for my bid. But as the poster above said, you can also check current pricing and see what the difference is between your current booking and the category you want. This can be done even after final payment. For example, I had booked an inside cabin for a July Alaska sailing and when I checked two weeks ago, a balcony would cost me $85 more, so I called and moved to that category for the price difference! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rusty Shacklefjord said:

Did you lose promos like airfare?

You would have to take the promos that are currently offered. So if, for example, airfare was offered when you originally booked but not at the current pricing, then yes, you'd lose that airfare promo. Or if there were extra latitude points on your original booking, but they aren't there any longer, you'd lose those extra points. Read carefully what the current perks are.

17 minutes ago, Melody7 said:

You would have to take the promos that are currently offered. So if, for example, airfare was offered when you originally booked but not at the current pricing, then yes, you'd lose that airfare promo. Or if there were extra latitude points on your original booking, but they aren't there any longer, you'd lose those extra points. Read carefully what the current perks are.

That only applies if you are before final payment.  After final payment, the only way they are allowing upgrades are if the promos match.  Been that way, with a few adjustments to the policy, since last August.

So if you have airfare on your reservation, you would not be eligible for an upgrade or FCC after the airfare promo falls off (sometime between 60 and 90 days, depending on the cruise)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That only applies if you are before final payment.  After final payment, the only way they are allowing upgrades are if the promos match.  Been that way, with a few adjustments to the policy, since last August.

So if you have airfare on your reservation, you would not be eligible for an upgrade or FCC after the airfare promo falls off (sometime between 60 and 90 days, depending on the cruise)

Oh, I didn't know that! I made a change after final payment two weeks ago, so the promos must have been exactly the same. I know the ones I was concerned with were.

11 minutes ago, Melody7 said:

Oh, I didn't know that! I made a change after final payment two weeks ago, so the promos must have been exactly the same. I know the ones I was concerned with were.

Unfortunately I know about the current policy from personal experience - had to resort to an upgrade bid when I first found out.  But on the other hand, I've gotten FCC for price drops on 2 upcoming cruises (after reminding them of their own rules LOL!), so happy with that.

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

Unfortunately I know about the current policy from personal experience - had to resort to an upgrade bid when I first found out.  But on the other hand, I've gotten FCC for price drops on 2 upcoming cruises (after reminding them of their own rules LOL!), so happy with that.

But presumably only for price drops before the final payment date ?

6 hours ago, argyll1881 said:

But presumably only for price drops before the final payment date ?

No, in this instance I'm talking about after. They will give you 100% FCC for the difference IF you meet all the criteria for s one-time courtesy adjustment.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

No, in this instance I'm talking about after. They will give you 100% FCC for the difference IF you meet all the criteria for s one-time courtesy adjustment.

Is it one time per cruise....or a once in your life event?

7 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Is it one time per cruise....or a once in your life event?

Per cruise, so if prices go down again they won't give a second adjustment.  This is after final payment.  Before final payment date there is no penalty so you can adjust as much as you want (US anyway)