Bar service in Greek ports

KeithJenner

Just now, willetstravel said:

When are you cruising HB?  Also I lived in HB for four years and loved it.  

Not until October 2, 2022. Hopefully NCL will work things out by then, but we will be prepared! i need my wine!  😜  We love HB and our Strand! Nothing like it IMO! 😎

• Like 2

Yikes!  We'll have 3 Greek ports on our 2023 cruise so I'll be watching these developments.  We like our wine before and with dinner.  For the first time in our cruising history, we may be carrying three bottles of wine on board with us.  Here's a dumb question.....I am aware that there is a corkage fee when you bring wine aboard....does this fee go against your stateroom account upon embarkation when they see the wine in your carryon?  Haven't done this before.....and I thought masks and Covid testing were going to be the issue on this trip!

7 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

Yikes!  We'll have 3 Greek ports on our 2023 cruise so I'll be watching these developments.  We like our wine before and with dinner.  For the first time in our cruising history, we may be carrying three bottles of wine on board with us.  Here's a dumb question.....I am aware that there is a corkage fee when you bring wine aboard....does this fee go against your stateroom account upon embarkation when they see the wine in your carryon?  Haven't done this before.....and I thought masks and Covid testing were going to be the issue on this trip!

I think it depends on the port. I have been able to carry on wine in my roller bag out of the LA port and have never had to pay corkage as long as I keep the wine in my stateroom. Caveat - I sail in the Haven/Suites. 

10 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

I was actually just doing research on that as well now that I know we will need to likely bring more on board than planned.  It sounds like you need to carry them on and there is a table just for corkage fees.  You pay (or they charge to room) and they put a sticker on each bottle. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The corkage fee is charged to your room when you board (you should bring it in your carry on). Quite often they don't charge you, either because they don't see it or they can't be bothered.

Thank you for the information.....the corkage fee won't be an issue no matter what.  Not having a glass of wine when on a cruise is!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willetstravel said:

I am really surprised that more people in Greece right now are not posting about this.  NCL is certainly keeping it hush-hush.  I "chatted" with an agent and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

They almost certainly don’t know what you are talking about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, willetstravel said:

Yeah, you are probably right.  But I am definitely surprised that more people currently sailing Greece aren't saying more about it.  

I’d agree. I thought the same when I was onboard. I knew about it because someone onboard the week before was posting on their roll call. I mentioned it on my live report, but I was expecting it to be mentioned more. That’s why I assume that it was resolved on the Jade. I suspect there will be some noise when the Gem people reach disembark.

I’m trying not to get annoyed over something that hasn’t quite been confirmed by NCL…yet I don’t know that I trust that they’ll update us in a timely manner. I’m on a Greek Isles cruise with 8 ports next month. I will NOT be happy if this is true🤪🙄🤬

Looks like I’ll be watching this topic! 

I suppose Greece has the authority to prohibit alcohol sales on board, but it sounds very odd to me. And are they doing it to any other cruise lines? I can see a couple of MSC ships in the area, Oosterdam, Brilliance of the Seas, Celebrity Beyond, Viking, … Is anyone else talking about this or is this a dispute specific to NCL?

• Like 1

I was on the Jade May 1-8 out of Athens.  Boarded and had lunch at Cagneys.  My husband had a beer and I had a gin and tonic.  Never had a problem getting a drink.  

Last night onboard, while still in Santorini, went to the Mojito bar and got a couple of drinks to take to the Haven sun deck.  I don't know if some people had issues but we didn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ticatraveler said:

I was on the Jade May 1-8 out of Athens.  Boarded and had lunch at Cagneys.  My husband had a beer and I had a gin and tonic.  Never had a problem getting a drink.  

Last night onboard, while still in Santorini, went to the Mojito bar and got a couple of drinks to take to the Haven sun deck.  I don't know if some people had issues but we didn't.

Thanks for this update 

55 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Is anyone else talking about this or is this a dispute specific to NCL?

The dedicated to Royal Caribbean blog site has not said a thing. Usually they would be all over this! 

Edited by HBCcruiser

If other cruise lines are not experiencing the same thing, then the line about Greece wanting cruise ship passengers to do their drinking on shore is evidently just a cover story. They’re not going to admit to us that NCL did something fishy and pissed Greece off and they are now being penalized for it. But I would also guess that it’s a very temporary situation. 

I'm just back from the Jade May 8-15 out of Athens last week and I can't confirm any of this.

We boarded in Athens around 1 pm. We went straight to the Garden Great Outdoors and had lunch with beers and later several other drinks from that bar before sail away. I saw other people with different alcoholic drinks. The bars were only closed for a short time during the muster drill PA announcements.

The entire week bars were open and served alcohol, especially in Santorini. We had a great cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I think it depends on the port. I have been able to carry on wine in my roller bag out of the LA port and have never had to pay corkage as long as I keep the wine in my stateroom. Caveat - I sail in the Haven/Suites. 

It doesn't vary by port, nor does your cabin category matter. The rules are the same for the least expensive inside cabin and the most expensive Haven suite. Nor does it matter whether your drink your wine in your stateroom or any public area such as a dining room. The corkage fee is $15 per 750 ml bottle or $30 per 1.500 ml bottle. Here are the exact rules:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#can-i-bring-alcohol-board

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, 

If you didn't have to pay when embarking in Los Angeles it was only because security was not doing its job. When your carry on bags go through xray security is supposed to pull aside and inspect any bags that look like they have bottles of alcohol in them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hernando52 said:

Here's a dumb question.....I am aware that there is a corkage fee when you bring wine aboard....does this fee go against your stateroom account upon embarkation when they see the wine in your carryon? 

Not a dumb question.

Yes, the corkage fee gets charged to your stateroom account.

42 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It doesn't vary by port, nor does your cabin category matter. The rules are the same for the least expensive inside cabin and the most expensive Haven suite. Nor does it matter whether your drink your wine in your stateroom or any public area such as a dining room. The corkage fee is $15 per 750 ml bottle or $30 per 1.500 ml bottle. Here are the exact rules:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#can-i-bring-alcohol-board

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, 

If you didn't have to pay when embarking in Los Angeles it was only because security was not doing its job. When your carry on bags go through xray security is supposed to pull aside and inspect any bags that look like they have bottles of alcohol in them.

The last 5 cruises I have been on out of LA have not even had the wine table.  I gladly pay the corkage when I take a bottle to dinner.