Reports of No Bar Service in Greek Ports

willetstravel

Good Morning,  there have been rumblings on FB and CC about ships (specifically NCL ships) not serving alcohol while in Greece Ports.  We are booked on the Jade on June 12 and really disheartened by this as we have some late times at shores, which would mean no drinks with dinner or no service if we wanted to stay on ship for all or part of the time.  Anyone that has cruised in the last week or (ideally) cruising Greece right now have any insight?  TIA.

Hey there. We’re on the sailing after yours-please keep us all posted once you sail!
mayne others who are there now can comment? 
On the NCL boards there are conflicting reports of whether this is true or not. I did reach out to my TA to see if she’s heard of anything or could get a live answer. 
I certainly hope it’s not the case. I won’t be happy with 8 ports worth of closed bars….

Just returned from a 13-day trip on Star Clippers, 8 May 2022.  The ship's bars were open all the time while we were in Greece.  No added (tax) charges.  😎

On 5/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, vanchelle said:

Hey there. We’re on the sailing after yours-please keep us all posted once you sail!
mayne others who are there now can comment? 
On the NCL boards there are conflicting reports of whether this is true or not. I did reach out to my TA to see if she’s heard of anything or could get a live answer. 
I certainly hope it’s not the case. I won’t be happy with 8 ports worth of closed bars….

This is certainly true. There were two sailings on the Jade back in April (the first two sailings of the year in Greece) where there was no bar service on embarkation day until after sail away. Since then the Jade has been operating as normal.

The Escape has recently visited Greece with no problems as far as I can tell.

The Gem made its first visit to Greece last week on a Rom-Venice cruise, and there was no bar service whilst in Greek ports. This even included whilst tethering in Santorini. They are now on the return trip to Rome and had their first Greek stop today in Corfu where there was no bar service. Apparently the bars have opened now they have left. They are going to Santorini tomorrow.

It is notable that this seems to be a problem on the first cruises of the year. The fact that this has been resolved on the Jade suggests that they will also get things sorted on the Jade, but you don't know for sure.

Wow! I can't imagine why NCL would be unable to serve liquor while in port and other lines are able to do so?  At least I hope they are.  I would be very unhappy with purchasing a drink package and not able to use it until after sail away.