ADHD medications and international travel

As a mom of a young man with ADHD, I was very surprised at his last doctor visit when she told us she'd be happy to write a letter for us to travel to Italy, but warned us strongly that we needed to check to see if Adderall/amphetamine salts were even legal to have in our destinations.  Has anyone seen a general database online of what meds are accepted in what countries?  Again, in our case the country is Italy, but I'm wondering how one would find this out for international travel in general.

Pre-covid we cruised Mexico/Belize/Honduras and I didn't even think to check, just brought his meds in the original bottle.  I guess that could have landed us in a great deal of trouble, potentially?

Some countries are very strict when it comes to bringing in certain meds - even some common over the counter drugs. This site may be a good starting point:  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/travel-abroad-with-medicine

However there are many other sites on the interwebs as well.

Generally  European countries will allow a person to bring in a 30 day supply for their own personal use. Controlled drugs should be in their original packaging and accompanied with a medical certificate ( the letter your doctor offered to write).

• Like 1

Only country I have not been allowed to bring my ADHD medication to is Japan. I have another medication that is a Schedulle III drug that I travel with an authorization letter from my doctor, even within the US, because it has to be administered by injection and authorities can get squirrely when they see syringes.  

The other thing I have to remember when travelling internationally is to check I haven't shoved a bunch of my OTC and prescription meds all into one bottle in my bag, and there's a stray Concerta in there. Yes, it likely will be figured out I have ADHD and forget things, and I'm not trafficking, but that's a conversation I'd rather not be having with authorities. 

• Like 1

This may help the OP, after a quick search for "international regulations for adderall":

https://istmsite.membershipsoftware.org/files/Documents/Groups/PPG/2nd Edition Carrying Medicines Database.pdf

This gives specific regulations country by country, from the International Society of Travel Medicine.

It appears that Italy allows a 30 day supply, with a prescription and an endorsement by the US health authorities (not sure which agency, your MD should know).

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Levi is good said:

As a mom of a young man with ADHD, I was very surprised at his last doctor visit when she told us she'd be happy to write a letter for us to travel to Italy, but warned us strongly that we needed to check to see if Adderall/amphetamine salts were even legal to have in our destinations.  Has anyone seen a general database online of what meds are accepted in what countries?  Again, in our case the country is Italy, but I'm wondering how one would find this out for international travel in general.

Pre-covid we cruised Mexico/Belize/Honduras and I didn't even think to check, just brought his meds in the original bottle.  I guess that could have landed us in a great deal of trouble, potentially?

In addition to the information the Chief provided.

I research both the UK & Canadian foreign office websites for requirements for visiting other countries. They often include information on any medication restrictions and provide links to the regulations of the country you are visiting.

I expect the US Govt provides a similar service.

• Like 1

From the US State Department (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Italy.html):

Prescription Medications: The Italian Ministry of Health sets rules defining who and how prescriptions and medications can be imported into Italy. However, the Ministry of Health website does not have information in English. According to the Ministry of Health, foreigners entering Italy are allowed to bring personal medications for a period of 30 days, but it is recommended that travelers also bring a copy of their prescription with them. Travelers should not bring excess supplies of prescription drugs into the country and cannot bring prescription drugs for other people.

As another example (not applicable to the OP), for Japan (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Japan.html) the note is:

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Japan’s Ministry of Health website to ensure the medication is legal in Japan; possession, use, or importation of a prescription drug that is illegal in Japan may result in arrest and criminal prosecution. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. U.S. prescriptions are not honored in Japan, so if you need ongoing prescription medicine, you should arrive with a sufficient supply for your stay in Japan or enough until you are able to see a local care provider.

• Like 1

We always go to the website of any country we are visiting, and search for information about "medicine" or "drugs".  Be careful to use the information about personal use, and not for re-sale, etc.

If there is any question, we email the appropriate department and have them help us.

Thus far, Japan was the trickiest, which was a surprise.

I ended up sending them a separate list for each of us, including each medicine and the quantity we were planning to bring.  (I rounded up, of course, in case of any delays.  This was pre-Covid, but still...)

Everything was fine except for the original formula Sudafed.  (The newer formula doesn't work for either of us.). No way we could even get special permission for that.

We had to submit an application for certain meds, but with emailed documentation, it took less than 24 hours.  And a controlled substance request went to a different department, and also took less than 24 hours.

Better safe than sorry... get all the permissions if required.

GC

• Like 1