One person in cabin must cancel. Advice?

sheltielover256

Hi,  I am looking for advice.  My extended family is going on the Divina on May 29-- a total of four cabins, all booked separately.  I  booked a balcony cabin for my husband, my college-age daughter, and me.  Unfortunately, my daughter must cancel.  We booked through a travel agent and she told us that the only way for us to take advantage of the MSC cancel-for-any-reason clause is for all three of us to cancel (and get credit) and then book a new cabin, BUT we will not be allowed to use the credit  on the same cruise.  In other words, there is no way for one person in a cabin to cancel under MSC policy.  I really don't want to have to pay another $2000 to book a new cabin at this point.

I am really regretting booking with an agency because they don't seem to know much about MSC.  The agent's statement might be completely accurate, but thought I'd reach out to see if anyone has experienced something similar.  To be fair, we aren't talking about a great deal of money (and its a sunken cost), but it is a few hundred dollars, that would be nice for my daughter to have as credit on a future cruise. 

Thanks in advance-

Laura

I don't have an answer, but we did have to change out a person on a reservation. Is there anyone else you would be comfortable sharing your room with and can bring along in your daughters place?  We had my son and his GF reserved and the GF no longer could come, but our son will now be bringing a friend.  MSC will allow changing out a passenger in a room and we were not charged a fee (I thought it would be $75).

• Like 1

Really your daughter can be a no show at this point at the terminal-the only credit you will probably receive back is the port charges. Not 100% sure on that. The value of your cabin is based upon total occupance-its just divided by 3 not 2 at the time of booking. 

14 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Is there anyone else you would be comfortable sharing your room with and can bring along in your daughters place?  We had my son and his GF reserved and the GF no longer could come, but our son will now be bringing a friend.  MSC will allow changing out a passenger in a room and we were not charged a fee (I thought it would be $75).

I think this depends if you have booked Bella or Fantastica. At least before the big changes this year Fantastica allowed to change a passenger (name) for free.

TO could go for this if booked Fantastica (or higher). Otherwise I cannot see another option than no show and after the cruise get some fees back for the missing pax. Depends on place of booking, if it is Europe than probably nothing will be refunded as no port charges have been paid. 

@sheltielover256 I wouldn't blame lack of knowledge on your TA; you will find that many (MANY) of the MSC reps themselves are not familiar with the ever changing rules.

It is correct that if you cancel you cannot use the credit to rebook on the same cruise.  It would be a Future Cruise Credit.  You would then rebook under prevailing rates for yourself and DH and would more likely than not lose your current cabin (which you may have next to others with whom you are traveling).  You'd then have all of this credit to use in the future, but that might not be worth it.

IMO, I'd just let it be. She can be a no show and you'll get a port credit.  You will enjoy your cabin with just your husband 🙂 which would be so worth it to me!!

10 hours ago, sheltielover256 said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  We'll just suck up the loss and enjoy our cruise!  But I'm wondering if we need to call and let them know so that we don't get charged gratuities?

I definitely would not touch this wonderful booking before being onboard. If the gratuities really show up (which I do not expect) it is easy to correct at the reception.