Excursions from Greencock-include Gasgow?

I am doing a 12 day British Isles cruise in August 2022.  Many people on our ship are doing the Loch Lomand, Trossachs and Stirling Castle excursion.  Unfortunately, most of these are already booked, so we are trying to find a private excursion.  One of the people in our party would like to see Glasgow as well. I looked at a map and Glasgow is the opposite direction.  We dock at 8, not sure how long it will take to tender off since I know they give priority to Princess excursions for the tenders, and we have to be back on the ship by 6, so need to be back at the tender place by 5 or 5:15 I would think.  So I am thinking maybe a 7 hour tour.  

Since it looks like we will have to arrange a private excursion, I suppose it is possible to include both Glasgow itself as well as Loch Lomand and Stirling Castle, not sure about the Trossachs then.  Does anyone have any suggestions re this? Should we try for a stop in Glasgow itself? Should we skip that and just do the other places? Are there other places we should go instead?

Ok , at the risk of offending any Glaswegians, it would not be my priority if I had a day in Scotland. Of course, you may have a particular reason for wanting to visit. I went to university there and my daughter currently studies there and it is hands down one of the friendliest cities in the world. The city’s slogan is “ People Make Glasgow”. The area around the university is really pretty and there’s some great free museums but a lot of it is quite rough around the edges. Glasgow is more about the atmosphere, rather than the view. It’s not the most scenic of places. If it were me I would do Stirling Castle and the Trossachs. To combine Glasgow, Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle would be quite a whirlwind tour. You can spend a whole morning at Stirling Castle, then tour the Trossachs. On the way back you would likely take the route which passes by Loch Lomond. The scenery in/near the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park in the Trossachs is especially stunning. I prefer it to Loch Lomond. I also like Loch Tay, which is a wee bit further north but a visit there would depend on timing. If you do decide to visit Glasgow and have specific questions, please ask away. I hope this helps and have a great trip. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Ok , at the risk of offending any Glaswegians, it would not be my priority if I had a day in Scotland. Of course, you may have a particular reason for wanting to visit. I went to university there and my daughter currently studies there and it is hands down one of the friendliest cities in the world. The city’s slogan is “ People Make Glasgow”. The area around the university is really pretty and there’s some great free museums but a lot of it is quite rough around the edges. Glasgow is more about the atmosphere, rather than the view. It’s not the most scenic of places. If it were me I would do Stirling Castle and the Trossachs. To combine Glasgow, Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle would be quite a whirlwind tour. You can spend a whole morning at Stirling Castle, then tour the Trossachs. On the way back you would likely take the route which passes by Loch Lomond. The scenery in/near the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park in the Trossachs is especially stunning. I prefer it to Loch Lomond. I also like Loch Tay, which is a wee bit further north but a visit there would depend on timing. If you do decide to visit Glasgow and have specific questions, please ask away. I hope this helps and have a great trip. 

Exactly what I was looking for! I was wondering if it was worth it to tour the Trossachs, perhaps stopping in Callandar instead? Or by saying tour the Trossachs, could we mean Queen Elizabeth Forest Park? One of the excursions includes an hour ride on Loch Lomand, perhaps skip that?

10 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

100% on this.  I just got back from a land-based trip to Scotland visiting my daughter who now lives in Edinburgh.  She, as our tour guide, had us spend a day in Glasgow while on our way to Oban (which is highly recommended).  While in the taxi to the Edinburgh train station, the cabbie asked us where we were headed, and my daughter said that we were on our way to Glasgow. The cabbie replied: "Why?  Are you being punished?"  Now, I wouldn't go that far.  Our subway/walking tour of the city for the day included the area around the Uni and the Kelingrove Museum, which is a lovely area.  But none of that would be on my "must do" list if I were on a one-day port stop in Greenock (note the spelling...only one "c").  

14 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Exactly what I was looking for! I was wondering if it was worth it to tour the Trossachs, perhaps stopping in Callandar instead? Or by saying tour the Trossachs, could we mean Queen Elizabeth Forest Park? One of the excursions includes an hour ride on Loch Lomand, perhaps skip that?

I think the Trossachs is definitely worth it. You could easily do Queen Elizabeth Forest Park and Callander, they are very close. There is also a scenic drive called the Duke’s Pass. A private tour would include all of these places, I’m sure. There are also a few smaller lochs in the area, e.g. Loch Achray. 

If you go to Stirling Castle, definitely do a guided tour. Pre-pandemic they offered free tours, every half hour. We went with our daughter in 2019 and were the only people doing the guided tour. it was fabulous, well worth it for a Scottish history lesson.

Not sure what the boat ride on Loch Lomond would  include? I think the hour may  be better spent touring but I’m sure you would enjoy the experience of being on the loch, either way. One word of warning - midges! They can be infuriating and you will definitely encounter them in the Trossachs.

13 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

100% on this.  I just got back from a land-based trip to Scotland visiting my daughter who now lives in Edinburgh.  She, as our tour guide, had us spend a day in Glasgow while on our way to Oban (which is highly recommended).  While in the taxi to the Edinburgh train station, the cabbie asked us where we were headed, and my daughter said that we were on our way to Glasgow. The cabbie replied: "Why?  Are you being punished?"  Now, I wouldn't go that far.  Our subway/walking tour of the city for the day included the area around the Uni and the Kelingrove Museum, which is a lovely area.  But none of that would be on my "must do" list if I were on a one-day port stop in Greenock (note the spelling...only one "c").  

“Are you being punished?” 😂😂😂 There is a friendly rivalry between the two cities. IMO if you want a good day out, go to Edinburgh, but for a good NIGHT out, go to Glasgow. Luckily for me, I live equidistant to both.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

“Are you being punished?” 😂😂😂 There is a friendly rivalry between the two cities. IMO if you want a good day out, go to Edinburgh, but for a good NIGHT out, go to Glasgow. Luckily for me, I live equidistant to both.

We are looking forward to our day in Edinburgh as well! Doing our own thing there, looking forward to seeing it.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:19 PM, cruisegal415 said:

I am doing a 12 day British Isles cruise in August 2022.  Many people on our ship are doing the Loch Lomand, Trossachs and Stirling Castle excursion.  Unfortunately, most of these are already booked, so we are trying to find a private excursion.  One of the people in our party would like to see Glasgow as well. I looked at a map and Glasgow is the opposite direction.  We dock at 8, not sure how long it will take to tender off since I know they give priority to Princess excursions for the tenders, and we have to be back on the ship by 6, so need to be back at the tender place by 5 or 5:15 I would think.  So I am thinking maybe a 7 hour tour.  

Since it looks like we will have to arrange a private excursion, I suppose it is possible to include both Glasgow itself as well as Loch Lomand and Stirling Castle, not sure about the Trossachs then.  Does anyone have any suggestions re this? Should we try for a stop in Glasgow itself? Should we skip that and just do the other places? Are there other places we should go instead?

I could be wrong, but I do not recall Greenock to be a tender port.  We were there in 2016, and I am almost positive we docked.  And I just looked at our itinerary for August this year, and it is not listed as a tender port.

6 minutes ago, High C's said:

I could be wrong, but I do not recall Greenock to be a tender port.  We were there in 2016, and I am almost positive we docked.  And I just looked at our itinerary for August this year, and it is not listed as a tender port.

Oh you're right! Thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

did you find a private tour guide who could comfrtably make the ship time?  that is my main concern.  we have Greencock, Stornaway and Lerwick stops before heading to Iceland (Cunard).

2 hours ago, renji said:

did you find a private tour guide who could comfrtably make the ship time?  that is my main concern.  we have Greencock, Stornaway and Lerwick stops before heading to Iceland (Cunard).

Good luck finding a private guide in Stornoway.   There don't seem to be many and all those I tried for August are booked.  

• Like 1