Board Action Questions

Host Anne

Just a quick reminder that anytime you have a question regarding actions taken on the message boards (a missing thread; a deleted post, etc) you should email our Community Manager, Laura, with your questions: Community@cruisecritic.com.

Laura is more than happy to review these items with you in a email discussion. Board actions, however, are not permitted to be discussed on the boards. Specifically, here's the info from our Guidelines:

Special Note Regarding Removal Of Posts

Posts may be removed from our forums at the sole discretion of Cruise Critic without notification to it's author or discussion participants. We may also MOVE a post to our Floataway Lounge that has veered off the original topic. Additionally, the discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will also be removed without notice. If you have a question about the removal of any posting please contact me at community@cruisecritic.com.

Thanks for your continued support to make Cruise Critic a friendly and informative community!

I'll be happy to ask Laura to check this thread for those of you who said you haven't heard back from her. I know that she responded today to several people who emailed her.

And yes, you should discuss your "subscription" issues with Laura, too.

One more item that may be helpful. When you email Laura, feel free to copy Walt and myself. That way, when a response is sent, we are copied on it and we know your concern has been addressed. I know I have not heard from anyone who has posted here regarding board issues. We'd be glad to follow up and make sure you get an answer to your email.

To be sure, the Cruise Critic rules are clear, especially those pertaining to posts that are disrespectful to other Cruise Critic members. All those who had an action taken received a brief explanation when they logged on and were all asked to refer to our Community Guidelines, specifically:

Harassment, Flaming and Trolls

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Do not post details or private information about any other person. Do not attempt to impersonate another person, either real or virtual.

Postings that have been placed on the boards to disrupt the flow of conversation or otherwise disrupt Cruise Critic members' enjoyment of the Community, will be removed.

Multiple occurrences of harassment/flaming/stalking will result in your loss of posting privileges without any notice.

Those who have corresponded with Laura have also received a reply that provided a more extended explanation.

Please feel free to contact any or all of us if you have any questions about our guidelines, whether or not you were directly affected by the recent dust-up:

Laura (community@cruisecritic.com)

Walt (HostWalt@cruisecritic.com)

Anne (HostAnne@cruisecritic.com)

Those who have corresponded with Laura have also received a reply that provided a more extended explanation.

With all due respect (and at this point my patience is wearing thin), I did request a reply with a more extended explanation, and I have (to-date) received nothing. I specifically asked for references to postings where I was in violation. Again, no response was given. In addition to this, I did in fact copy others (hosts) in additional emails, still receiving no response.

The vague reference in the 'canned' response I recieved was interesting to say the least, referring to participation in "Float Away Lounge" threads. In dicussing this with other cruise critic members I think I understand what was happening in those float away lounge threads, but, I have never really partricipated in that particular forum at all.

For reference purposes, here is partial content of the email I sent to: community@cruisecritic.com on 2/24/2006:

"I've read your community guidelines.

If you would kindly tell me specifically what participation you are referring to I can endeavor to avoid it in the future. In my opinion, there were no posts of this nature (the sole purpose of which was to embarrass and/or humiliate").So, since I am obviously clueless someone will have to educate me."

I suspect that someone with deep pockets made a few phone calls to "The Independent Traveler" ( 609-730-9155) and rattled a few cages. So be it. However, there are others who may have deep (or deeper) pockets as well.

I'm also convinced that an exodus is underway, despite efforts to squash this. In terms of internet advertising, the rates you can charge are somewhat based on 'hit counts' for your site. Is a user base alienation and subsequent exodus the way to go to increase the hit count?

I've checked out the 'other' site. It's nice. It looks a lot like Cruise Critic. I see quite a few familiar 'names' there.

Archived