Norfolk terminal is rather small

csoud68

And is now  home to the Magic. My parents believe Carnival bit off more than they can chew with the size of the magic as Norfolk has always had smaller ships..

My parents followed rules and arrived at 2 pm which was on their boarding pass. They didn't get on until after 4. It was a free for all as many many people were let on out of order. My mom used the word "disaster" when talking about boarding.

Also there was no water allowed in the terminal. It was hot, lines were long and people were irritated..then they were not allowed water. That In itself is ridiculous..After this experience, They will never sail out of Norfolk again.

And just to hammer home their point my dad told me that the ship had to leave late because of the delays getting people through..

I am interested to hear responses from folks who were there.

We sometimes forget that the best part about the whole adventure is that "We are on a Boat" They could walk me through a cattle barn as long as I am boarding that Carnival Ship.

Love the moment and not the misery!  

58 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

My parents followed rules and arrived at 2 pm which was on their boarding pass. They didn't get on until after 4.

Yes, the time on the boarding pass is the time you can arrive at the terminal but it is not indicative of the time you may board the ship.  Sometimes its quick and sometimes its not.  

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

Also there was no water allowed in the terminal. It was hot, lines were long and people were irritated..then they were not allowed water.

What do you mean by not allowed?  Was it confiscated upon arrival from people bringing it in? Or was there just none available there?  I know at tne Long Beach Terminal there is no water other than drinking fountains but we always brought something to drink with us knowing there could be a long wait to board?

11 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

What do you mean by not allowed?  Was it confiscated upon arrival from people bringing it in? Or was there just none available there?  I know at tne Long Beach Terminal there is no water other than drinking fountains but we always brought something to drink with us knowing there could be a long wait to board?

I noticed in Charleston a few weeks ago when I boarded Sunshine, they had a "no bottles allowed behind this point" sign at the line before the check-in tables. But it was long before you got to the actual security scanners. I kept my bottle of water until we got to the security scanners (which probably took 30-45 minutes).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I noticed in Charleston a few weeks ago when I boarded Sunshine, they had a "no bottles allowed behind this point" sign at the line before the check-in tables. But it was long before you got to the actual security scanners. I kept my bottle of water until we got to the security scanners (which probably took 30-45 minutes).

Oh yes right i forgot about security.  

Evidently once you were in the terminal they were not allowed water bottles..

By that point they were already hot from the massive line that stretched down the block.

My mom is 77 and was in need of water but couldn't use a water bottle and surely  couldn't get out of line to find a fountain..she literally asked an employee for some water and was refused. 

Me being younger,  always getting to the port early,  and usually cruising in February, that's never been an issue. 

Even I would be irritated if that were me..

I would like to believe Norfolk would get better as the weeks go by..

6 minutes ago, BubbaD123 said:

Jesus, man. I'm boarding the Magic here in a few hours. This sucks! LOL

Go early, regardless of boarding time..if they aren't enforcing it just go..

2 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Go early, regardless of boarding time..if they aren't enforcing it just go..

Thanks. New Orleans & Tampa made it so easy, I figured I would get there around 12:45 and be on by 1PM.. but I'll head there early. Did your parents mention if the ship was close to capacity or not?

7 minutes ago, BubbaD123 said:

Thanks. New Orleans & Tampa made it so easy, I figured I would get there around 12:45 and be on by 1PM.. but I'll head there early. Did your parents mention if the ship was close to capacity or not?

Full

I just picked up my 77 & 74 year old parents and they had the extreme opposite experience as your parents.  They said check in was smooth after we dropped them outside of Nauticus and had the porter take their bags. They followed the line into the terminal and from the time we dropped them to the time they were on was about an hour.  They said it was extremely smooth and they did a good job, and same with debarking.  They were off the ship quickly, they were in the 3rd group to be released off and waiting on the side of the road by 8:45am.  I think Norfolk did a great job especially for the first time back in almost 3 years.  We do this same cruise on June 4th so I'll have to see what experience we have at that time.  I'm proud of Norfolk its about time! They spent all this money on a beautiful new cruise port several years ago and it hasn't gone to good use, I hope they continue.

• Like 2

We have to be patient with the cruise terminal staff as they are also getting back to the art of passenger cruising. That's right I said "Art" because it takes years to perfect the "Patience" that is now needed to Cruise. 

3 hours ago, Laplayaperson said:

I just picked up my 77 & 74 year old parents and they had the extreme opposite experience as your parents.  They said check in was smooth after we dropped them outside of Nauticus and had the porter take their bags. They followed the line into the terminal and from the time we dropped them to the time they were on was about an hour.  They said it was extremely smooth and they did a good job, and same with debarking.  They were off the ship quickly, they were in the 3rd group to be released off and waiting on the side of the road by 8:45am.  I think Norfolk did a great job especially for the first time back in almost 3 years.  We do this same cruise on June 4th so I'll have to see what experience we have at that time.  I'm proud of Norfolk its about time! They spent all this money on a beautiful new cruise port several years ago and it hasn't gone to good use, I hope they continue.

May I ask what time u dropped them off?

The only reason that they were boarding all groups at the same time was because the ship arrived empty. It was not a free for all, per se, but I can see why some people would be confused. Today and moving forward, they are disembarking passengers and will follow standard procedures.

3 hours ago, Sea Raven said:

The only reason that they were boarding all groups at the same time was because the ship arrived empty. It was not a free for all, per se, but I can see why some people would be confused. Today and moving forward, they are disembarking passengers and will follow standard procedures.

Well if u see the thread started a few hrs ago it took someone 3 hrs to park, get the shuttle and get onboard..

Nothing has changed if u go late..I'm sorry to say but that place is too small..go early or wait it out in line..

It's the size of the port...it cannot process 3800 passengers in a timely manner..

18 minutes ago, merryjewelhound said:

We boarded the Magic today. Just as a FYI parking took over 3 hours from waiting in line to get into lot to get to ship.

Nothing has changed from last week. My parents had a nightmare last week..

Go early if u are in norfolk..period.

5 hours ago, Sea Raven said:

The ship leaving Norfolk today, May 21st did not arrive empty.  This is the second trip from Norfolk, but I might have read your post incorrectly.  I just got off the 6 Day May 15th trip and was able to walk off around 8am with my Platinum benefit.  After that group, they had walk off going in order or your muster station, which seemed odd.  As always, the elevators were jammed as was stairwells with people trying to get down to deck 3 with their luggage. To add to the confusion and slow disembarkation was a needed reset to the gangway which halted things for 40 minutes I heard. I hope things run smoother with the next group.  It definitely is always a challenge leaving from Norfolk though and the bigger ship does not help.

Edited by VaTech8912
clarification