My Visa rewards mistake

RC Visa points are effectively a 1% rebate on your spend. Numerous cards are available that offer twice that back in cash without even trying. I get 3% at times during promos, up to 7.5% with category spend, and never less than 2.25%. 

Edited by publicpersona

1 hour ago, Florida Glamazon said:

I had saved up over 50,000 points and applied them to my upcoming October cruise's fare....Then I learned that they disqualified me for the sale tat could have reduced my fare by $496... I guess they don't  want to give tooooo much of a discount. 

I would have put it all on OBC, then cashed out the OBC for cash.

• Like 1

125k points gets you 2500 off the fare.  That's effectively 4x points since purchases for Royal are doubled, and the fare reduction is as well.  Take the OBC cuts your benefit substantially.

I still think the card is lame at best but using it only for RCI purchases and fare reduction gives the best value.

• Like 1

The fine print states: "

Cruise Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, Exciting Deals, Going-Going-Gone, Travel Partner Rates, Interline Rates, Net Rates, Residential Rates, Senior Rates, Military Rates and Buy One Get Second Person Half Off promotion. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Cruise Rewards are valid only on oceanview or veranda staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their “Inaugural Season” or Galapagos voyages. Value of the redemption is subject to change and may be reassessed if there is any change in pricing on the reservation."

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/visa-signature/royal-caribbean-visa-signature-rewards-options.pdf

On 5/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, publicpersona said:

RC Visa points are effectively a 1% rebate on your spend. Numerous cards are available that offer twice that back in cash without even trying. I get 3% at times during promos, up to 7.5% with category spend, and never less than 2.25%. 

Doesn't the card also have no international transaction fees if you use the card in foreign ports?

What's that worth?

13 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

Doesn't the card also have no international transaction fees if you use the card in foreign ports?

What's that worth?

I don't know, but no foreign transaction fees is common on any credit card targeted to travel.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:07 PM, Cigar King said:

125k points gets you 2500 off the fare. 

Your point about Royal Caribbean purchases is well taken, although since it is a travel purchase, I get 3% from Chase, in addition to travel insurance (full disclosure: this Chase card has an AF, but I recoup it through other benefits easily). Amex Blue Everyday gets 3% on travel with no AF.

Are you sure about the 125K getting $2500 off the fare? I see only 1% value.

image.png.094f1ab3ee9dc182cd2732b887a788fc.png

Edited by publicpersona

I think you can only see what you can purchase with your current point total.  I have 115k points now, so I can't see that option either.  I have used it in the past though.  That's basically a 4% return on your purchase.

Actually think in the message from GStanBus has the full reward list.  Here's the one I have used:

5 to 7 night Royal Caribbean Caribbean cruise, (minimum available oceanview stateroom); value of cruise vacation fare may not exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500 USD value)

• Like 1