Unvaxed kids vs kids who can’t be Vax’ed?

Carnival releases a protocol where kids 5-12 who are not vaccinated, may go to the kids club.  Kids between that age have a choice to get the vaccine or not. (Some can not due to many reasons… fine.. but there is still an option) 
As we all know, there is no vaccine that exists for kids under 5 years of age. 

my concern is, why are kids under 5 not allowed to go to the kids club? What is there to gain by this? 

kids under 5 don’t have a choice and they are being punished…. Kids under 5 don’t get a discount.. they pay full price just like everyone else. My question is simply, why?  (It feels like a weird slap in the face)

second question with context:

traveling with 5 kids on June 5th Horizon… 4/5 kids are vaccinated. 1/5 is not she is 4 and 10 months. The kids club is allowing 5-8 year old unvaccinated kids to play together and attend activities, so do you think or has anyone asked to have there kid be placed in an older group? She is traveling with her bigger cousins who is 6,8, and 10 years of age.. I would love for her to be able to attend the activities with the 6year old. Do you see any issues with that, does anyone feel that is an unreasonable request?

(she just completed pre-k… she will be going to kindergarten in August and she is potty trained and speaks just as well as the older kids)

Many moons ago (pre-covid) we were in a similar situation with the age difference.  It is up to the staff to allow her to attend or not.  I was told it was more of a guide than a rule.  Your mileage will vary.  Best of luck.

• Like 2

Just a note: your under five year old is not being punished. There are many activities on board ship that fare paying passengers are restricted from participating in. Examples: areas and activities that are age restricted (over 18, over 21, under 18, over 5, ) or have physical restrictions, such as some of the rides.

If you are new to cruising, remember to check out of the rules and restrictions before booking to avoid the feelings of being discriminated against or punished. 

• Like 2

I agree that the policy is absurd.  Either prohibit unvaccinated kids in the kids club or allow all unvaccinated kids in the kids club.  Makes me wonder if they are more doing it because of a staffing/money issue. The other thought process may be that parents who want to protect their kids in the 5-11 age range can whereas the under 5 crowd can't be protected at all so the unvaxed kids are more or less going "at their own risk."  Also, maybe since some percentage of the 5+ kids will be vaccinated, maybe they see it as less risky than the 100 percent unvaxed rate in the under 5 kids.  IDK.  Just a thought.  My kids go to a private school where both vaxes (for Covid) and masks are optional.  I would guesstimate about 2/3 of the kids are vaccinated and about 10-20 percent wear masks.  

As for the other, they allowed my younger son to go in the same group with my older son (his brother) even though he was younger than the age group on one of our cruises.  However, I don't know about allowing a child that is technically too young under their current policy. I think you will just have to ask.  Since children in the 5-11 range were able to be vaccinated, their "positive" rates have been almost non-existent whereas before there were MANY positives.  

Edited by Eli_6

I think it has to do with staffing. They don’t have enough help to invite everyone back to camp ocean. My understanding is camp ocean is still limited hours (3 hour blocks) and you must register for times, which could “sell” out.