How Cold Is An Alaskan Cruise in June/July?

On 5/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, Reds4life said:

We are going on a cruise on Quantum on June 27. I have checked the average temperatures for Alaska in June and July and it looks like an average high of 60-65 degrees. Is it colder out on the water during the cruise? Colder during certain portions? I have seen videos of people using the Flowrider during Alaskan cruises. Is that heated? Should we pack any shorts or just long pants?

The last time we did an Alaskan cruise (a 10- night on Princess out of San Francisco from 6/24-7/4) There was still a lot of snow and ice up in the mountains, and they were handing out mugs of hot chocolate on the top deck as we traversed the inland passage. The highest temperature we experienced was in the low 70's, and it got quite cold in Glacier bay. Just looked at the Juneau harbor camera and the peaks are still snow covered. 

I'd pack clothes that can be layered. A pair of convertible hiking pants is always a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

Was on the Ovation from 5/20 - 5/27.  I did an excursion hike in Skagway.  The ground was completely snow covered and the guide there said that was unusual as by this time of year, most of the snow would have melted.  However, they had a higher than expected snowfall this past winter (guide estimated 50% more). 

Hopefully by the time you get there, it should all be melted.  But highly recommend layers.  I realize it's a pain to pack more but it's for the best.  Also, if you have binoculars, don't forget to pack those!  I can't tell you how many people lamented that they forgot to bring theirs on the cruise I was on...

On 5/31/2022 at 10:45 AM, HelenaCruiser2012 said:

How about the weather on an early September cruise?  It's our first time to Alaska, leaving Vancouver on Serenade on Sept 4th.  Assuming it's kind of the same as June/July, plan to bring clothes for every season and dress in layers.  Flying to Vancouver means luggage limits of 50 lbs so this might be tough.  When we cruised out of NYC it was so easy just to drive up the NJ Turnpike with whatever we wanted to pack!  Thanks for your help.

The beginning of September is a mixed bag. It could be warm, or it could be stormy; nights are for sure colder. The weather really starts to change mid-September. 

We wore shorts most days inland in September (two years) and other folks had coats and fur hats.  Got up to 72 in Fairbanks one trip.  On cruise you will have at least one day raining and likely around 40.  Lower near glaciers.  Had friends sailing in July and it was rainy and cold every day.  Expect anything and you will get it.

Alaska is very tricky. Weather changes often and drastically. We are on Quantum now. Before we left for the cruise we checked several weather forecasts. It has been unseasonably warm. I brought many types of clothes but failed to bring shorts. It was a mistake and one I will not make again. Being hot is no better than being cold. Pack a variety of items that can be layered or removed as necessary.