Fish & Chips, Chowder, Coffee recommendations in ports

QuattroRomeo

For our upcoming cruise, we would like to know people's favourite casual spots, take-outs or kiosks,  to find really good fish and chips, chowders, or coffee. Plus any treats you think are worth indulging in ( muffins, bear claws, donuts, etc)!

We will visit Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan. Thanks for any recommendations! 🍟🥧

Alav's Fish n Chowder Ketchikan  Small place with wooden booths.  No atmosphere. 

Alaska Fish & Chips Juneau  Ordered at the trailer, sat outside above the float plane dock.

Sweet Mermaids baked goods/coffee Ketchikan.  

My neighbor said Alaskan Fish House is good.  It is fancier than Alav's.

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Alaska Fish & Chips Juneau  Ordered at the trailer, sat outside above the float plane dock.

My favorite for Halibut and Chips, but, I don't recall a "trailer".  It was a restaurant ( and I think still is according to their web site) an indoor/outdoor restaurant located in the green building at the head of the cruise docks.  Killer views of the harbor, planes, and ships.  

Have heard great things about Deckhand Dave's food truck in Juneau for Fish Tacos and Fish & Chips. For sweet treats we plan on hitting Sweet Mermaids (mentioned above), and then another poster on this site posted a review like a week ago and talked about Klondike Doughboy in Skagway. The Doughboy is a funnel cake/fry bread amalgamation dipped in cinnamon sugar, he said they were huge so they ordered 1 for 4 people but he quickly regretted that decision and wanted a whole one for himself.

In Juneau we like the Hanger on the Wharf for their tempura halibut and chips (not nearly as heavy a coating as so many versions) and their various fish tacos.  And while popular with tourists  find Tracy's Crab Shack overrated.

In Ketchikan we often stop at Annabelles' Famous Keg and Chowder House.  Three different types of chowder and they even offer a "flight" of the three chowders.  If you are there during a dungeness crab fishing season look for fresh "dungy" at Annabelles too.  The nice restaurant at at the Cape Fox Lodge is lovely too but our OP asked for casual locations.

In Skagway we like the Skagway Brewing Company.  Bistro food offerings with decent food.  But excellent beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kcmo74 said:

For sweet treats we plan on hitting Sweet Mermaids

I checked their Facebook page.  May 20 they posted their hours.  Closed Wednesday and Saturday.  Looks like a great place!  It's our Wednesday stop, so will miss this.

• Like 1

Thankfully our Ketchikan stop is on a Thursday! It is great to receive recommendations; it is so helpful when in tourist towns to avoid the  mediocre food places that can be everywhere, trying to take advantage of the crowds.

• Like 1

My Ketchikan stop is on a Tuesday! 😄 Thanks for all the recommendations. Can't wait to stop at Sweet Mermaids and eat some chowder!! Too bad I don't have a Skagway stop this cruise...the Doughboy funnel cake sounds delicious!

3 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Alaskan Crepe Escape in Juneau. I got a simple cinnamon sugar one, but they have all kinds, including not sweet ones. It's top on my list when we go back.

I didn't know this place existed.  I just added it to my list for Juneau!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 2:10 AM, Northern Aurora said:

In Juneau we like the Hanger on the Wharf for their tempura halibut and chips

I was looking for them when I discovered Alaska Fish & Chips Company.  I didn't see an entrance to the restaurant and was tired enough from walking that I decided on an outdoor table at Alaska F&C since it was in the same building and the view was tremendous.  I enjoyed a delicious lunch.  Maybe next time, I'll get to Hanger on the Wharf.  

• 2 weeks later...