NCL Air. - BEWARE and Be Aware

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, grozzy1 said:

A few questions-

Did you have insurance?

Were you flying on the date of departure?

Who actually had your luggage?

Regardless of the debate on NCLs responsibilities, better planning could have helped avoid trouble.

1.  It appears so since NCL told them to file 

2.  No. Since they were on the phone at midnight.  ‘Ship would have sailed.’

3.  Who knows.  More reason to only take carryons and don’t overpack. 
4.  Other than not trusting NCL Air - how would they plan better??

I figured all these answers out reading the OP

Edited by erisajd

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

1.  It appears so since NCL told them to file 

2.  No. Since they were on the phone at midnight.  ‘Ship would have sailed.’

3.  Who knows.  More reason to only take carryons and don’t overpack. 
4.  Other than not trusting NCL Air - how would they plan better??

I figured all these answers out reading the OP

You realise this post was nearly 2 years ago?

Per NCL:  "For international travel, we strive to secure flight itineraries with no more than two connecting flights and minimize layovers that exceed five hours. Connecting flights through other countries may be required. Please note if you are flying to Europe, you may be routed through Canada."

Holy crap!  I knew there was a reason I book my flights myself.  Everybody is picky about some things and not others.  I am happy with an inside cabin but I am not EVER taking flights involving two connections and layovers exceeding five hours or being routed through Canada to get to Europe.  There are plenty of non-stops to Europe from New York.  That is just a hard no.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I am happy with an inside cabin but I am not EVER taking flights involving two connections and layovers exceeding five hours or being routed through Canada to get to Europe.  There are plenty of non-stops to Europe from New York.

In your case - you're fortunate to live in proximity to a major city where this is an option. I live 3+ hours North, unless I make that 3+ hour drive to NY (or to Montreal or Boston for that matter as it's about the same to all 3) there is a ZERO chance I could get to Europe without at least one connection, and getting to a specific city in Europe could require two.  Shoot - unless I'm going to a hub city there are VERY few non-stop flights from my home airport to domestic destinations!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hallux said:

In your case - you're fortunate to live in proximity to a major city where this is an option. I live 3+ hours North, unless I make that 3+ hour drive to NY (or to Montreal or Boston for that matter as it's about the same to all 3) there is a ZERO chance I could get to Europe without at least one connection, and getting to a specific city in Europe could require two.  Shoot - unless I'm going to a hub city there are VERY few non-stop flights from my home airport to domestic destinations!

Very true.  I am a blessed with ease of air travel living in NY.  I do realize that.  I will usually take the closest non-stop flight to my final destination in Europe and then take the train rather than connecting via another flight though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, G-DawgMN said:

I'm not saying that NCL is perfect, but I've gotten excellent direct flights in the US both times I've used it, been able to upgrade, and saved hundreds of dollars. Oh and those who think they're the cheapest flights you're not always right. Our flights to New Orleans would have been  $1000 a person, I paid $250 for both of us through NCL.

Best way to avoid surprises is to just read the terms. A lot of the complaints I see on here wouldn't happen if people would read it (Like I have a redeye, why am I flying out of airport X, etc.).

https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

They even address when NCL is responsible for flights and when you're on your own here:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

Your experience is exactly my experience: one domestic and one international. Folks need to read the terms and conditions, otherwise (as we see so often) they'll be in for a not-so good surprise! I will book NCL BOGO Air again, if I ever need to fly to the port.

27 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Very true.  I am a blessed with ease of air travel living in NY.  I do realize that.  I will usually take the closest non-stop flight to my final destination in Europe and then take the train rather than connecting via another flight though. 

When we flew to Barcelona, we flew in from Syracuse to JFK, then on to Paris, and finally to Barcelona. Didn't mind at all - I actually hoped the flight in Paris would be delayed for several hours. We only had 80 minutes in the airport and that wasn't nearly enough time to go see Paris in between flights. We were smart enough to schedule a two day deviation, which allowed me to have the hope of a delayed/canceled flight.

We did look at trains from Paris to Barcelona - no good options, that's for sure! 

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Your experience is exactly my experience: one domestic and one international. Folks need to read the terms and conditions, otherwise (as we see so often) they'll be in for a not-so good surprise! I will book NCL BOGO Air again, if I ever need to fly to the port.

When we flew to Barcelona, we flew in from Syracuse to JFK, then on to Paris, and finally to Barcelona. Didn't mind at all - I actually hoped the flight in Paris would be delayed for several hours. We only had 80 minutes in the airport and that wasn't nearly enough time to go see Paris in between flights. We were smart enough to schedule a two day deviation, which allowed me to have the hope of a delayed/canceled flight.

We did look at trains from Paris to Barcelona - no good options, that's for sure! 

I haven't done international yet, but might next year, the cost savings is real!

We flew from Barcelona to Paris a few years back, flights are usually cheap. Paris is pretty amazing, it was probably my second favorite city in Europe so far, Rome is still my top favorite.

I don't use NCL air, but I just dropped by to offer a perspective as a frequent flyer... most of these convenient "one stop" international flights of which you speak... the ones from american hub cities...  they are to europe.

NCL has cruises that depart from many other parts of the world.

and - when flying on consolidator fares using NCL - asia and oceania and australasia will almost always require an additional stop. this is true when i'm booking flights using miles and so i imagine it's the same when booking through NCL. there are a few direct flights from manila and sydney and auckland and tokyo (and other cities), but you will rarely find them at a discount and so you would be very lucky to get one using NCL air. and this could turn a 20 or 24 hour journey into a 30 or 36 hour journey.

14 hours ago, grozzy1 said:

You realise this post was nearly 2 years ago?

Don’t ask me. CC put it top of my feed. 

it’s still a legit comment. 

The biggest problem is no one wants to be helpful at NCL when it comes to issues with your Air travel. I got my email saying Heres your flights... when i looked up the flights on the airlines website it was totally different. So I called per the directions in my email.. I got the "ok we will open a case for you" then its crickets...

So i call back a week later.. we have until 30 days before your sailing! .....

Then i get another email... but this time I only have a ticket for me... nothing for my husband... I call back again.  We are working on it....

Then another email.... still we are working on it.

I asked them if they ever heard the phrase work smarter not harder? it should take them 5 min max to put my husband on my flight. but instead they want to drag it out. 

I am still trying to figure out if this stress is worth the $1200 I am saving?

5 hours ago, hallux said:

I have the same situation which is possibly why my NCL experience has been better than it might be for people who live near a hub.

For example, they flew me direct from Quebec to Rome. But I had to get to Quebec first obviously. I heard lots of complaining from people flying from Quebec because they didn't get a direct flight. People that have to get to a hub first will usually get first priority for the limited # of direct flights that are available to NCL.

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

The Spanish train system (RENFE - some say that it stands for Really En-furiating And Not For Everybody) has always been a bit of an outlier.  People are surprised to find out that travel between Spain and Portugal by rail is not as easy as one would expect.  I will say that Italian trains tend to be a little late and they are fond of going on strike - usually on a Friday.   But aside from these quirks, the cities of Europe are generally served by really good high speed rail though.  And, while airports are on the outskirts of town, trains deliver you downtown to downtown with a choice of convenient times, no security lines, no baggage hassles, big comfortable seats and no need to sit around waiting for hours.  We are big train fans but I would also say that they may not work well for people who travel with lots of luggage.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

I don't use NCL air, but I just dropped by to offer a perspective as a frequent flyer... most of these convenient "one stop" international flights of which you speak... the ones from american hub cities...  they are to europe.

NCL has cruises that depart from many other parts of the world.

and - when flying on consolidator fares using NCL - asia and oceania and australasia will almost always require an additional stop. this is true when i'm booking flights using miles and so i imagine it's the same when booking through NCL. there are a few direct flights from manila and sydney and auckland and tokyo (and other cities), but you will rarely find them at a discount and so you would be very lucky to get one using NCL air. and this could turn a 20 or 24 hour journey into a 30 or 36 hour journey.

All very valid points here.  Non-stops are significantly more expensive both to Europe and Asia.  No argument about that.  I have flown to Tokyo and Manila but it was back in the day when planes were half empty and flying was much more comfortable.  I just could not face the long flight to Australia so we broke it up with a few days in California, which worked for us since one of our children lives there.

12 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

The Spanish train system (RENFE - some say that it stands for Really En-furiating And Not For Everybody) has always been a bit of an outlier.  People are surprised to find out that travel between Spain and Portugal by rail is not as easy as one would expect.  I will say that Italian trains tend to be a little late and they are fond of going on strike - usually on a Friday.   But aside from these quirks, the cities of Europe are generally served by really good high speed rail though.  And, while airports are on the outskirts of town, trains deliver you downtown to downtown with a choice of convenient times, no security lines, no baggage hassles, big comfortable seats and no need to sit around waiting for hours.  We are big train fans but I would also say that they may not work well for people who travel with lots of luggage.

I don't really travel by train. I want to. I'm a romantic when it comes to rail travel. Someday in my life I hope to take a trip on the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok, a ride on the Rocky Mountaineer, and a coast to coast (or at least Utica) to Seattle on Amtrak. It's not a money issue (well Rocky Mountaineer excluded, perhaps). It's a time thing. I even get excited when I ride the subway. Every time. And I've been on plenty of metros all over the US. But, it's rail travel. 

Now if I could just shoot across America at 200 MPH. Then I'd be a happy train rider for life! 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 8:53 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Someday in my life I hope to take a trip on the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok

I hope you are able to take the Trans-Siberian one day, especially with your own personal translator. I jumped off at Ulaan Baatar to spend more time in Mongolia, so will have to go back to see Vladivostok. It was such a fascinating journey through that part of the world by rail.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:08 AM, Travelling2Some said:

Haven't you discovered some crazy airline itins?  I've tried buying AA itins from NYC to LA or Tuscon - and where there are obviously hundreds of nonstops flights daily on various airlines American has tried to route me through Columbis Ohio in first class all the time.  It's insane. 

Traveling with friends once we were going on paid tickets from Tucson to Seattle and AA tried to route us through Chicago when there are flights to LAX that connect and then partner carrier nonstops [Alaska] - these were cruise airfares.  

then you don't get frequent flier miles or benefits flying on most cruise class consolidator fares - and the horror stories of not being able to reach anyone at cruise air travel departments -  if I'm spending $10k over all on a 2 week vacation including a cruise - I'm not gonna be so cheap I lose out on needed service - because if I NEED to contact cruise air departments then there is a reason I need to contact them due to cancellations or disruptions.  In that case, I'd rather be treated as an Executive Platinum flyer on AA than some slub who has to 'contact their travel agent.'  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 8:53 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I don't really travel by train. I want to. I'm a romantic when it comes to rail travel. Someday in my life I hope to take a trip on the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok, a ride on the Rocky Mountaineer, and a coast to coast (or at least Utica) to Seattle on Amtrak. It's not a money issue (well Rocky Mountaineer excluded, perhaps). It's a time thing. I even get excited when I ride the subway. Every time. And I've been on plenty of metros all over the US. But, it's rail travel. 

Now if I could just shoot across America at 200 MPH. Then I'd be a happy train rider for life! 

Is your name Sheldon Cooper by chance?  🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, erisajd said:

Haven't you discovered some crazy airline itins?  I've tried buying AA itins from NYC to LA or Tuscon - and where there are obviously hundreds of nonstops flights daily on various airlines American has tried to route me through Columbis Ohio in first class all the time.  It's insane. 

Traveling with friends once we were going on paid tickets from Tucson to Seattle and AA tried to route us through Chicago when there are flights to LAX that connect and then partner carrier nonstops [Alaska] - these were cruise airfares.  

then you don't get frequent flier miles or benefits flying on most cruise class consolidator fares - and the horror stories of not being able to reach anyone at cruise air travel departments -  if I'm spending $10k over all on a 2 week vacation including a cruise - I'm not gonna be so cheap I lose out on needed service - because if I NEED to contact cruise air departments then there is a reason I need to contact them due to cancellations or disruptions.  In that case, I'd rather be treated as an Executive Platinum flyer on AA than some slub who has to 'contact their travel agent.'  

Only had what you are describing happen once maybe 4 years ago and I cannot recall the airline.  I thought it was ridiculous and just re-booked a non-stop.  We almost always fly Delta.  Maybe this is more common on AA.

3 hours ago, erisajd said:

Tucson to Seattle and AA tried to route us through Chicago

I once had to fly to Chicago from Pittsburgh in order to get to Albany, NY.  Yup, an hour West just to go an hour East from where I started...

On 3/22/2024 at 9:01 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

I hope you are able to take the Trans-Siberian one day, especially with your own personal translator. I jumped off at Ulaan Baatar to spend more time in Mongolia, so will have to go back to see Vladivostok. It was such a fascinating journey through that part of the world by rail.

I want to travel platzkart class...my translator hubby refuses. I'm guessing you were in splany vagon or kupe? Regardless, thank you! It makes me just that more excited to maybe someday be able to travel over there again and see that fantastic country.

13 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Is your name Sheldon Cooper by chance?  🙂

I'd be a much wealthier man if it were. 🙂 Though, my childhood would have been very boring (to my non-Sheldon childhood). 

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I want to travel platzkart class...my translator hubby refuses. I'm guessing you were in splany vagon or kupe? Regardless, thank you! It makes me just that more excited to maybe someday be able to travel over there again and see that fantastic country.

You are Haven Maven...platzkart is not for you and your beloved 😅. I went all out and traveled with Golden Eagle for an unforgettable journey. Artem, a young man in his 20s, was my cabin attendant, and I often wonder whether he is fighting in the war. 😢 It is indeed a fantastic country and I can't wait to return to see more, including revisiting the Black Sea area on a cruise.