Haines, Evening Only - What to do?

LindaD22

We will be on Royal Caribbean’s Radiance of the Seas and will be in Haines from 7:00 pm to 11:30 pm. I’m not finding any tours or excursions for those evening hours and the local bars & breweries look like they close at 7:00 pm. Any suggestions for this limited time? 

I don't understand this stop at all.  Haines has some nice attractions, but I doubt you can do them in that narrow window.  It's like the cruise lines are contractually obligated to stop there on some itineraries.

Haines is a tiny town and I doubt that any of the touristy places will be open.  You could walk around town.  Maybe to the Fort William H. Seward National Historic Site - https://www.nps.gov/places/fort-william-h-seward.htm.  There is also a distillery that is open until 8 PM - Port Chilkoot Distillery - 

I have been to and through Haines maybe 3 times but never on the ridiculous time frame that you will be there.  

DON

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Haines is a tiny town and I doubt that any of the touristy places will be open.  You could walk around town.  Maybe to the Fort William H. Seward National Historic Site - https://www.nps.gov/places/fort-william-h-seward.htm.  There is also a distillery that is open until 8 PM - Port Chilkoot Distillery - 

I have been to and through Haines maybe 3 times but never on the ridiculous time frame that you will be there.  

DON

Thank you for those suggestions, Don. I agree that the time allotted, especially the evening hours, doesn’t allow time to really enjoy Haines. 

I would imagine even if their posted hours don't support this that many of the businesses will be staying open late that evening to take advantage of the ship being in town. The local merchants could really use the patronage. It's a quaint little town with more of an authentic Alaska feel, so you might find just spending time exploring the town is worthwhile.

Also, with that time frame you might take a look at what the ship is offering in terms of excursions. If there is an evening wildlife viewing excursion that takes you out to Chilkoot Lake, that can be a nice tour. Depending on when you are there you may sometimes see bears if the salmon are running.