La Spezia Cruise Port Question

blackfly

We booked a private tour guide for our stop in La Spezia to Cinque Terre this October as one member of our group has mobility issues (walker). How far is it from where the ship docks to where we can meet our guide?  Any stairs or obstacles we should be aware of?  Is there a good map for the port?

Where do you meet the guide?  What have they told you?

Most cruise ships now use the industrial port, which is about 2 km/one and a half miles from the old cruise terminal (on Viale Italia, where the port shuttle buses drop off).

Odds are you will need to take the port shuttle to the Viale Italia location, which would be the logical place to meet your guide unless they know a better place.

We are early in the booking process and our guide has yet to discuss a meeting location.  The lady who relies on a walker is not sure she wants to join us as she is unsure what obstacles she may encounter at the terminal.   

6 minutes ago, blackfly said:

We are early in the booking process and our guide has yet to discuss a meeting location.  The lady who relies on a walker is not sure she wants to join us as she is unsure what obstacles she may encounter at the terminal.   

I would be very specific with the guide...telling them exactly what you face and need with the mobility issues. Quite likely the guide will have the answers you need, and will be able to arrange some fixes for the problem. That is their job.

Would your friend consider a lightweight travel wheelchair for this trip to make it easier on her as well as the rest of you?  They are inexpensive to purchase adn easy to use and transport.  They are not self-propelling however, and require someone to push.

I brought my aunt to Cinque Terre in a wheelchair, it's not easy but it can be done.  You can't get to every single village but we didn't want to anyway.

My aunt had no choice about the chair, my mother did and it took quite a bit of convincing to get her to try it.  It was life changing for all of us.  She got to see and do more because she wasn't exhausted, and the rest of us weren't held back waiting for her.

• Like 1