Tours from the St. George Port

Misssmb

We are coming on a small ship so we get the dock right at St. George. I see most of the excursions leave from the shipyard. I have never been to Bermuda before so I would love suggestions on what to do. If anyone knows a good catamaran tour that leaves from that area, I would appreciate it. Any other suggestions are also welcome! Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, Misssmb said:

We are coming on a small ship so we get the dock right at St. George. I see most of the excursions leave from the shipyard. I have never been to Bermuda before so I would love suggestions on what to do.

Assuming you mean you are sailing on Insignia docking at St Georges as well as Hamilton. If not let me know. 

8 minutes ago, Misssmb said:

If anyone knows a good catamaran tour that leaves from that area, I would appreciate it.

They do offer a catamaran excursion from St Georges that is a sunset trip. Frankly there are more independent options for daytime sailing excursions once the ship moves over to Hamilton so you might want to look into that. Typically we use the St Georges time as a beach day and to run around that side of the island a little which is quieter. Well worth a visit to the Swizzle Inn and this would be the time to do the caves if thats of interest to you. 

Once you move over to Hamilton you are closer to the Dockyard (although still a bit of a distance)-- I wouldn't feel the need to go over to the Dockyard unless the museum really interests you as its mainly a tourist area geared towards the larger cruise ships that have to dock there. There isn't anything at the Dockyard you can't access in Hamilton aside from the museum or dolphin encounter. 

Also in Hamilton you are much closer to Horseshoe Bay beach which is the most popular one for those visiting. 

• Like 1

Ana Luna does cats on the east end. They operate out of Grotto Bay which is about 15 minutes from St. George’s by bus or taxi. 

https://analunaadventures.com

From St. George’s besides the town I go to the beach. Tobacco Bay or Clearwater Beach/Coopers Reserve,  Fort St. Catherine. Swizzle Inn. Some go to the Crystal Caves. All DIY. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Ana Luna does cats on the east end. They operate out of Grotto Bay which is about 15 minutes from St. George’s by bus or taxi. 

https://analunaadventures.com

From St. George’s besides the town I go to the beach. Tobacco Bay or Clearwater Beach/Coopers Reserve,  Fort St. Catherine. Swizzle Inn. Some go to the Crystal Caves. All DIY. 

Do you walk to all these places? 

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Assuming you mean you are sailing on Insignia docking at St Georges as well as Hamilton. If not let me know. 

They do offer a catamaran excursion from St Georges that is a sunset trip. Frankly there are more independent options for daytime sailing excursions once the ship moves over to Hamilton so you might want to look into that. Typically we use the St Georges time as a beach day and to run around that side of the island a little which is quieter. Well worth a visit to the Swizzle Inn and this would be the time to do the caves if thats of interest to you. 

Once you move over to Hamilton you are closer to the Dockyard (although still a bit of a distance)-- I wouldn't feel the need to go over to the Dockyard unless the museum really interests you as its mainly a tourist area geared towards the larger cruise ships that have to dock there. There isn't anything at the Dockyard you can't access in Hamilton aside from the museum or dolphin encounter. 

Also in Hamilton you are much closer to Horseshoe Bay beach which is the most popular one for those visiting. 

Yes we are on the Insignia. I will look at boat cruises in Hamilton. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Misssmb said:

Do you walk to all these places? 

You could walk to Tobacco Bay or Fort St. Catherine but most will take a taxi. The other places you cawould take a bus or taxi to. I recomend a taxi. St. George itself is very walkable. You might do walking tour. They do them out of the Vsitors Information Centre. At noon in the Town Square they  duck a wench. I was on Insignia in August 2019 and most passengers were not the demographic to do much walking. On that sailing I took a taxi to Clearwater Beach. I also took a taxi to the Swizzle Inn. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You could walk to Tobacco Bay or Fort St. Catherine but most will take a taxi. 

I always walk but it is a long hill.  Uphill both ways!  Walking also takes you by the unfinished church, possibly the lamest so-called tourist attraction.  

Ever seen a burned out building from behind a fence?  That's essentially what this is, just no fire damage.  Its story is much more interesting than the structure.

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

I always walk but it is a long hill.  Uphill both ways!  Walking also takes you by the unfinished church, possibly the lamest so-called tourist attraction.  

Ever seen a burned out building from behind a fence?  That's essentially what this is, just no fire damage.  Its story is much more interesting than the structure.

I usually walk it but in August with high humidity and heat I advise against it. It is a pleasant walk in May and June.  

Used to be able to go inside the church. Inside it is unfinished……😀  The church is what I would call a bucket list place. I put the BAMZ on that list. Both BAMZ and BUEI are for the kiddies. Swizzle Inn is a bucket list place but is actually worth going to. Great Rum Swizzles and the pub food is pretty good. 

Edited by Charles4515

38 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I usually walk it but in August with high humidity and heat I advise against it. It is a pleasant walk in May and June.  

Used to be able to go inside the church. Inside it is unfinished……😀  The church is what I would call a bucket list place. I put the BAMZ on that list. Both BAMZ and BUEI are for the kiddies. Swizzle Inn is a bucket list place but is actually worth going to. Great Rum Swizzles and the pub food is pretty good. 

Having spent a week there in the 70s as a student (when it was just called the bio-station), I wish that BIOS had a more tourist-focused activity.  Maybe they did and it didn't pay for itself... 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, billslowsky said:

Having spent a week there in the 70s as a student (when it was just called the bio-station), I wish that BIOS had a more tourist-focused activity.  Maybe they did and it didn't pay for itself... 

BIOS used have public tours until a few years ago. It was on my bucket list. I recall that they were in St.George's. It is a shame that the tours were discontinued.