Off Quantum 5/23 Double Whammy Covid and Noro

5 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Yep. Depending on the study, anywhere from 10 - 30% of cases involve GI symptoms in some form (nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain etc.). So it's definitely not the majority of cases, but not super rare either.

I agree.   My hubby had low grade fever for a day or so, diarrhea, nausea and mild sore throat (no cough).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Yep. Depending on the study, anywhere from 10 - 30% of cases involve GI symptoms in some form (nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain etc.). So it's definitely not the majority of cases, but not super rare either.

And folks don’t know strain they have.  I think I read about 65% have the new variant now. So perhaps the new variant has a higher % of GI issues than omicron.  Who knows.  

But some definitely get GI issues with all of the strains, so assuming that can’t be Covid is not very good logic.

I’d prefer not to catch Covid on a cruise and I really don’t want to catch noro!   So either way, hopefully folks with that type of symptom are not out and about the ship.  Noro is highly contagious and I’m pretty sure that lasts well past when symptoms are gone (as in several days).  So some folks think they are fine when in fact they are spreading it to others.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, LaCal said:

when I was around a coughing hacker and

Way before Covid started I was around one of those and we ran away from her literally after she started hacking in the theater, but 2 days later the last day of cruise I got it, whatever it was...and the plane ride home from Seattle was horrid!  No masks back in that day (2014) but I always cough or sneeze into my shirts.  If I had that problem on a cruise and  started hacking, coughing, sneezing I would certainly self quarantine in the cabin...just to be courteous.  You could have SVR, bronchitis, or Pneumonia not to mention strep or just another infection.  We all jump to Covid automatically and sometimes the tests are far from accurate.  It happened to our friends during last holidays.  He tested positive and we packed and were heading back to Arkansas from Texas, but on a hunch I asked if he'd test again as it was an eleven hr drive home and the rest of Christmas would've been ruined.  He agreed and...yep, NEGATIVE the same day!  And at a different clinic too.  Nobody else got sick at all so Christmas was saved.   So I have a problem trusting the tests.  I think the OP was right to do so many just to confirm the diagnosis.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 9:44 AM, BND said:

Masks are a choice and you choose to wear one, which is perfectly fine, but we choose not to which is also perfectly fine.  They aren't 100% foolproof either.  

As the stats have shown!  I'll tell you why I am glad they are gone.  I have AFIB and when I'm wearing one I can hardly breath.  I could suffer catastrophic consequences with loss of Oxy on a cruise.  So its just a terrible option.  And with the data shown, not a lot of help to prevent it.  I did a return to service in Sept last year and had to wear one and I was miserable.  Then in March on Adventure, thankfully mask free, it was great.  So I will not wear one unless they mandate it again.

• Like 1