Maya Chan or Jamie’s Blue Reef - help me decide!

MistyRo76

Ok - trying to decide the best location for our group to enjoy a beach day in Costa Maya in October on our Carnival Valor stop! I’ve narrowed it down to Maya Chan or Jamie’s Blue Reef. Our group prefers an all-inclusive over a pay as you go option and these two seem like the best options for AI. But how do I decide between them??? Well, as always, I come to CC for the answers! 

Here’s what we are looking for:

* relaxing vibe - not necessarily a crowded party place. 
* water sports equipment - snorkel equipment, kayaks, paddle boards included

* massages - private location preferred (not right out on the beach with people walking by). 
* good food and drinks! 
* reserved area - shade and sun! 

From reading reviews on FB and TA, sounds like food at both places is great! Service reviews at both are outstanding! I know Jamie’s restricts capacity - how does that compare to the crowds at Maya Chan? I’ve also read that sea grass can be an issue at Maya Chan (but perhaps this is less likely after Sept from what I’ve read). I also saw Maya Chan has a pool which is attractive me. 

what else should I know to make this decision? It’s the last big bit of planning we need to finalize for this cruise! 

thanks! 

16 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Ok - trying to decide the best location for our group to enjoy a beach day in Costa Maya in October on our Carnival Valor stop! I’ve narrowed it down to Maya Chan or Jamie’s Blue Reef. Our group prefers an all-inclusive over a pay as you go option and these two seem like the best options for AI. But how do I decide between them??? Well, as always, I come to CC for the answers! 

Here’s what we are looking for:

* relaxing vibe - not necessarily a crowded party place. 
* water sports equipment - snorkel equipment, kayaks, paddle boards included

* massages - private location preferred (not right out on the beach with people walking by). 
* good food and drinks! 
* reserved area - shade and sun! 

From reading reviews on FB and TA, sounds like food at both places is great! Service reviews at both are outstanding! I know Jamie’s restricts capacity - how does that compare to the crowds at Maya Chan? I’ve also read that sea grass can be an issue at Maya Chan (but perhaps this is less likely after Sept from what I’ve read). I also saw Maya Chan has a pool which is attractive me. 

what else should I know to make this decision? It’s the last big bit of planning we need to finalize for this cruise! 

thanks! 

You would need to check your date for Maya Chan as they are closing until some date in October.

I have only been to Maya Chan of the two but I understand Jaimie’s has a pool on the roof top.

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

You would need to check your date for Maya Chan as they are closing until some date in October.

I have only been to Maya Chan of the two but I understand Jaimie’s has a pool on the roof top.

Thanks! Another post I saw said Maya Chan was closed until around 10/10. Our cruise departs NOLA on 10/22. But if they extend and aren’t open then, that would make our decision much easier! Lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Thanks! Another post I saw said Maya Chan was closed until around 10/10. Our cruise departs NOLA on 10/22. But if they extend and aren’t open then, that would make our decision much easier! Lol

I would suggest emailing Maya Chan from their website.  Not sure of what type of renovations are going on there, but things do tend to take more time than anticipated.  You can book Jaimie's after hearing back from MC if they aren't open or booked up.  Another AI that has always have good food drink and service for staying guests but now offering limited day guests is Nacional Beach Club.  It's a small hotel and is very close to Jaimie's, if Jaime is full.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, FSUDAVE said:

Would highly recommend this place.  No pool.  It was a great day with private availability for massages.      You wont regreat it !

This IS Maya Chan that the OP asked about in the first place - and it does have a pool just not advertised. It has been there several years, not sure when you went last.

I was just there....Never has and never will have a pool according to the owners.  (David is a former Californiaian BTW) Perhaps your thinking somewhere else.  

2 hours ago, FSUDAVE said:

I was just there....Never has and never will have a pool according to the owners.  (David is a former Californiaian BTW) Perhaps your thinking somewhere else.  

Not sure what to tell you - unless it has been removed - it was certainly there for our visits in March 2020, and March 2022! Perhaps it is not available presently due to the upcoming renovations? 

It is not advertised and I don’t know why the FAQ have never been updated but try this from the owners blog

http://box5202.temp.domains/~mayachan/taking-the-plunge/

I have been several since the early days and there was no pool initially. David is the son (co-owner?), who takes care of the day to day operations.

Edited by c-leg5

We have been to Maya Chan 10+ times. Last trip February 2022 on Regal. There is a pool and I stood right next to it. It is small. I have never seen anyone in the pool. They do use the pool area to seat guests. David is the son of Mark and Jane Ostrov-co owners. Great family and dedicated to their resort. Not sure where "never was and never will be" came from in relation to their small pool. Maybe they are removing it during their renovations.

49 minutes ago, Loucat said:

Not sure where "never was and never will be" came from

This comes from, or is implied from, their website. I have never understood why the website was never updated. I understand they don’t want to advertise it but to remove the statement and just not mention it at all would be better in my opinion. 

However, whatever the future may hold, as you and I have both said there was a pool February/March this year. I don’t know why PP  would have been told otherwise. The above link, from Jane’s blog, describes its installation.

I loved reading Jane's description of the arrival of the pool. She really writes well! So-the pool is really there and I have no clue why they do not advertise it. Thanks for sharing that link.

On 6/6/2022 at 6:04 PM, c-leg5 said:

Not sure what to tell you - unless it has been removed - it was certainly there for our visits in March 2020, and March 2022! Perhaps it is not available presently due to the upcoming renovations? 

It is not advertised and I don’t know why the FAQ have never been updated but try this from the owners blog

http://box5202.temp.domains/~mayachan/taking-the-plunge/

I have been several since the early days and there was no pool initially. David is the son (co-owner?), who takes care of the day to day operations.

My apologies on the swimming pool remarks.  David had indicated to me that they generate there own electricity, and would be concerned with being able to keep a pool going.  Also concerned about the "hygiene" and keeping it clean for guests use.  I guess that has changed since they apparently have a pool.  

What other "renovations" going on that you referred to?  

51 minutes ago, FSUDAVE said:

My apologies on the swimming pool remarks.  David had indicated to me that they generate there own electricity, and would be concerned with being able to keep a pool going.  Also concerned about the "hygiene" and keeping it clean for guests use.  I guess that has changed since they apparently have a pool.  

What other "renovations" going on that you referred to?  

• 3 weeks later...

Is Maya Chan really different from the beaches along the Malacon/Mahahual closer to the port? We visited Jaime's in April, and while it was great for what it was, I was picturing beforehand a different kind of experience. I'm not complaining about Jaime's - the food was delicious, the servers responsive and it was a fun day - but I would have been happier lowering my expectations ahead of time. Things are crowded along that stretch of beach & water. The available space for being in the water was small. My son was trying to do the stand up paddleboard and had to be really careful about not bumping into people (and there weren't many people in the water!). Then when he got going, he had to turn around pretty quickly. I'm attaching a picture we took from the roof - if you look closely, you can see the two sandbars running along the sides - those were the boundaries of Jaime's property going out into the water. Also, we were pretty much bombarded with people selling items, although as previous people have said - they weren't aggressive. Just constant. We're thinking about doing an almost identical cruise next year and I'm wondering if Maya Chan is more like beach clubs in Cozumel?

image.thumb.jpeg.13b25216ea001f6ed2165e1a3e81db14.jpeg

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Is Maya Chan really different from the beaches along the Malacon/Mahahual closer to the port? We visited Jaime's in April, and while it was great for what it was, I was picturing beforehand a different kind of experience. I'm not complaining about Jaime's - the food was delicious, the servers responsive and it was a fun day - but I would have been happier lowering my expectations ahead of time. Things are crowded along that stretch of beach & water. The available space for being in the water was small. My son was trying to do the stand up paddleboard and had to be really careful about not bumping into people (and there weren't many people in the water!). Then when he got going, he had to turn around pretty quickly. I'm attaching a picture we took from the roof - if you look closely, you can see the two sandbars running along the sides - those were the boundaries of Jaime's property going out into the water. Also, we were pretty much bombarded with people selling items, although as previous people have said - they weren't aggressive. Just constant. We're thinking about doing an almost identical cruise next year and I'm wondering if Maya Chan is more like beach clubs in Cozumel?

image.thumb.jpeg.13b25216ea001f6ed2165e1a3e81db14.jpeg

I will preface by saying I have been to several beach bars in Mahahual AND Maya Chan. I have not been specifically to Jaimie’s.

The beach conditions at Maya Chan will be similar to town in that if there is sargassum at one there will be sargassum at both. They do not have the offshore baffles but they do their best to continually clear It, although sometimes it is a losing battle. That will all depends on the time of your visit. 

Your photo has me a little confused - are those exposed sand bars? I know the water is very shallow in the bay out to the reef with some shallow and deeper pockets I don’t recall actual large sand banks like that at any of the areas i have been. And i don’t recall seeing any at Maya Chan. 

The main difference with Maya Chan will be ambiance. You will be at an isolated beach club as opposed to shoulder to shoulder with the next one. However you will have a considerable ride to get there. I think your son would have plenty of room to paddle board or kayak and you won’t have ANY vendors.

Difficult to compare it to beach clubs in Cozumel because there is a wide variety of clubs in Cozumel  and it would depend where exactly you are comparing it to? However I see you recently visited Cabana Beach and whilst I haven’t  been there I would imagine it has a similar feel, with perhaps a more “personal” touch and Maya Chan is AI. Service and attention are very good.

If you haven’t tried Maya Chan I would certainly give it a try or one of the other locations off the malecon. We have enjoyed Maya Chan several times although the transportation has not been as efficient, and has irritated me recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well - we decided to go with Jaime's Blue Reef. The reviews are outstanding as far as the food, drinks and service! Plus we don't want to risk any last minute delays to the renovation Maya Chan is doing. I emailed them and they said they would be open on 10/10...but that's not much of a buffer for delays and we didn't want to be stuck finding somewhere else to go last minute. So Jaime's it is! 

1 hour ago, MistyRo76 said:

Well - we decided to go with Jaime's Blue Reef. The reviews are outstanding as far as the food, drinks and service! Plus we don't want to risk any last minute delays to the renovation Maya Chan is doing. I emailed them and they said they would be open on 10/10...but that's not much of a buffer for delays and we didn't want to be stuck finding somewhere else to go last minute. So Jaime's it is! 

Enjoy.  Jaime's a great guy!  Ask Digby to make you a paloma. And climb the stairs to the roof top pool.  Gorgeous views.

Edited by crewsweeper

On 7/1/2022 at 12:50 PM, crewsweeper said:

Enjoy.  Jaime's a great guy!  Ask Digby to make you a paloma. And climb the stairs to the roof top pool.  Gorgeous views.

Is the rooftop pool included with admission to Jaime's?

• 2 weeks later...

Was just there on July 6th, Juan and Israel gave us great service. Drinks were well made. Asked what their favorite food was and Israel said the burger. He was right, great burger. $4pp for the taxi ride, roof top views are worth going up the stairs. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Yakker1749 said:

Was just there on July 6th, Juan and Israel gave us great service. Drinks were well made. Asked what their favorite food was and Israel said the burger. He was right, great burger. $4pp for the taxi ride, roof top views are worth going up the stairs. 

Was Jaime there?  I know he had some back surgery and wasn't sure if he's returned.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 10:08 AM, cruisegal40 said:

At Jamie's do you need to make reservations ahead of time? We are the in about 4 weeks.

@cruisegal40 I don't think you HAVE to make a reservation, but they do limit capacity to only about 35 people. So it's possible that you could be turned away if you don't have a reservation. It was very easy to make a reservation. Jamie was very responsive by email and I just paid a small deposit (I think I paid $12 per person) to hold our spot!