NCL Haven Vs. Celebrity Retreat/AquaClass

abby82306

Hi fellow cruisers, 

My family and I are looking into booking a Mediterranean cruise in the near future. My question is - what's our best bet as far as accommodations go?  The Haven (NCL) or The Retreat or even the Aquaclass (Celebrity).  I've been on neither so any insight on 1 or the other (or both if you've done both) would be greatly appreciated!! 🙂  Thanks in advance and Happy Cruising! 🙂 

1 hour ago, abby82306 said:

Hi fellow cruisers, 

My family and I are looking into booking a Mediterranean cruise in the near future. My question is - what's our best bet as far as accommodations go?  The Haven (NCL) or The Retreat or even the Aquaclass (Celebrity).  I've been on neither so any insight on 1 or the other (or both if you've done both) would be greatly appreciated!! 🙂  Thanks in advance and Happy Cruising! 🙂 

Since it appears that you’re looking for an “upscale” experience, why not book the real thing with a premium or luxury line?

FWIW: a lot of folks make the rookie error of comparing only cabin prices rather than the “net daily rate” of all required/optionally desired cruise vacation expenses. The inclusions alone on premium/luxury lines (e.g., air tix or air credit) contribute to a bottom line that may pleasantly surprise you when you compare them to the attempts of mass market lines to have a “ship within a ship.”    

• Like 1

How do you define "best bet for accommodations"?  How many people in your family? All in one multi room suite or in multiple suites/cabins? Are you also including the category perks, or only the suites/cabins themselves?

As a side note- Aqua class is nowhere near the same experience as a Retreat suite.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 7:33 PM, abby82306 said:

Hi fellow cruisers, 

Both are excellent experiences so I would ask what your preferences are for the cruise line itself.  If you're looking for a very active ship with lots to do, pick NCL.  If you're looking for something more refined with overall better service, pick Celebrity.  

If you pick Celebrity, go Retreat.  Aquaclass is just an upgraded balcony cabin with some extra small perks.  

• Like 1

My husband and I absolutely loved NCL's Haven. The best part is the restaurant - be sure the ship you're booking has this. If not, you'll need to rotate from a specialty restaurant for an inclusive breakfast/lunch, then find your dinner elsewhere (buffet, specialty for a fee, the Local/O'Sheehan's).

I haven't experienced Celebrity's offerings and won't consider a luxury ship at this time. The reviews of Regent Seven Seas are pretty bad coming out of the shutdown and if I'm paying $10k plus per person, I would prefer a better experience. Plus, again, if I'm paying that kind of money, I want to be comfortable (not going into dress code here as I created a post on this board that dives deep into that topic). 

If you want to read my thoughts on my husband and I's first Haven experience, check it out here.

I agree with @mom says that we need a bit more information to assist with specific rooms. My husband and I were happy in a penthouse that accommodated two (no more). Is that your family? Or do you have kids? Grandparents? Extended family? Etc., etc.!

I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the Haven you might have! 

On 5/31/2022 at 11:10 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Since it appears that you’re looking for an “upscale” experience, why not book the real thing with a premium or luxury line?

FWIW: a lot of folks make the rookie error of comparing only cabin prices rather than the “net daily rate” of all required/optionally desired cruise vacation expenses. The inclusions alone on premium/luxury lines (e.g., air tix or air credit) contribute to a bottom line that may pleasantly surprise you when you compare them to the attempts of mass market lines to have a “ship within a ship.”    

Thank you for your insight!  🙂  You know, I hadn't even given that great option a thought 🤔

On 6/1/2022 at 11:18 AM, mom says said:

How do you define "best bet for accommodations"?  How many people in your family? All in one multi room suite or in multiple suites/cabins? Are you also including the category perks, or only the suites/cabins themselves?

As a side note- Aqua class is nowhere near the same experience as a Retreat suite.

Thank you for clarifying on Aqua class.  🙂 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:31 PM, Aquahound said:

Both are excellent experiences so I would ask what your preferences are for the cruise line itself.  If you're looking for a very active ship with lots to do, pick NCL.  If you're looking for something more refined with overall better service, pick Celebrity.  

If you pick Celebrity, go Retreat.  Aquaclass is just an upgraded balcony cabin with some extra small perks.  

Thank you so much for your feedback 🙂  Yes, Celebrity does sound very enticing. Happy sailing 🙂 

On 6/3/2022 at 7:52 AM, cruiseny4life said:

My husband and I absolutely loved NCL's Haven. The best part is the restaurant - be sure the ship you're booking has this. If not, you'll need to rotate from a specialty restaurant for an inclusive breakfast/lunch, then find your dinner elsewhere (buffet, specialty for a fee, the Local/O'Sheehan's).

I haven't experienced Celebrity's offerings and won't consider a luxury ship at this time. The reviews of Regent Seven Seas are pretty bad coming out of the shutdown and if I'm paying $10k plus per person, I would prefer a better experience. Plus, again, if I'm paying that kind of money, I want to be comfortable (not going into dress code here as I created a post on this board that dives deep into that topic). 

If you want to read my thoughts on my husband and I's first Haven experience, check it out here.

I agree with @mom says that we need a bit more information to assist with specific rooms. My husband and I were happy in a penthouse that accommodated two (no more). Is that your family? Or do you have kids? Grandparents? Extended family? Etc., etc.!

I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the Haven you might have! 

Hi... thank you for your reply and for providing the link to your detailed review!  I read through it completely and loved it. I even read the letter for the butler, which I would not have thought of doing myself and glad that now I know!  I'm planning on going with my DH and my parents, God willing. SO, it would be 4 of us.  Probably 2 and 2 as far as accommodations go.  

Like you, I can spend hours researching cruise forums and groups. Not only does it improve my knowledge prior to my trip, but it gets me even more excited about it!! 😄 

2 hours ago, abby82306 said:

Thank you for your insight!  🙂  You know, I hadn't even given that great option a thought 🤔

Trust me. That “bottom line” comparison has introduced many folks to premium/luxury cruise lines where, once folks experience the difference, they never again cruise on a mass market ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Abby82306,

You can't go wrong with the Retreat on board Celebrity particularly the newer Edge class ships. We sailed the Edge in her maiden year in a Sky Suite and were extremely impressed with the level of top class service offered. The ship is super streamlined with a bevvy of high tech gadgets from self dimming bed lamps to several varieties of cabin lighting, not to mention a butler too. 

The Retreat lounge is a massive interior space with snack offered throughout the day and a sumptuous spread of hors d'oeuvres at night and breakfast in the morning. This is a soothing, relaxing space with floor to ceiling windows and a dedicated concierge to assist with your on board needs. 

In addition there in a very large outdoor area with a modest pool, hot tubs, cabanas and a bar that also serves sandwiches and burgers. 

The exclusive suites restaurant Luminae features first class service and a wide range of delectable dishes. 

The only problem with booking suite class on Celebrity is once you've experienced this exemplary oasis of attention there's no going back. 

Happy Cruising. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiserking said:

The only problem with booking suite class on Celebrity is once you've experienced this exemplary oasis of attention there's no going back. 

True - there’s only going forward with Celebrity being one of mainstream cruising’s major feeders of new passengers to the premium/luxury industry segment.