Viking's Greek Odyssey

Cienfuegos

Viking has an interesting 11 day cruise penciled in for 2022-2023.  Athens to Athens, with stops at Thessaloniki, Crete, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Volo, Santorini, and Nafplio.  End of October, end of November, and two in December.  My sense is this is a post-tourist season opportunity as the weather cools.

I believe this is partly a new itinerary for Viking.  On the one hand, I'm reluctant to be the trial balloon for new excursions, destinations, etc, but I'd really like to see more of Greece than just Athens.

Any thoughts on the itinerary?

Thanks

While this is a new itinerary, Viking has been visiting about half of these ports for a number of years (Athens, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Santorini, and Crete). That leaves you with really only three brand new ports. The potential shore excursions for the three new ports sound satisfactory. It's a bit of a gamble, but personally, it is a risk I would be willing to take! 

• Like 1

Going in off season , it is still warm till mid Nov and  ess tourists no lines. I did a Greek  island /Turkey cruise in late Oct many years ago. It was great. Som shops might be closed, but still plenty of great cafes and of course all the historical sites.

Went on Greek Odyssey, Dec. 2021.  Same itin.  Was really a fine voyage. Took all the included shorex, very heavy on archeology museums and churches.  Ephesus was well worth visiting.  In Rhodes, visited the palace of the Grand Masters.  Nice, but would rather have just explored on own.  For us, best ports were Chania and Nafplion.  Was 1st V cruise, everything was excellent. Staff could not do enough to please us. Just booked another V cruise, our new cruiseline. V did a truly fabulous Greek lunch in WC 1 day.  Don't miss it! Weather was mostly 60's last Dec.  Yes, off season, but still enough shops/tavernas open.  No crowds (off season/Covid).  Locals extremely friendly and happy to have tourists again.

Edited by FetaCheese
Edit

If Viking were offering this in January, 2024, I would be booked already. Now that I am a more adept traveler, I want to go back. I want to see these places with more experienced eyes and ears. DH is quick to say, "Been there; done that. What's next," but I think we left a lot on the table and might be ready to return.

We did Istanbul to Athens with Renaissance in January (20-some odd years ago).  It was a great time for us to travel. The places we wanted to see were fairly empty -- even the big sights weren't elbow to elbow. The weather, though not perfect, was much more tolerable for us than the high heat of summer (especially for Mom and me, who start to wilt at 75° and grind to a halt not that long thereafter).

Another thing to consider. Politically, this may be a good time to be visiting Turkey, while it is possible. Viking had pulled out of there in 2016 and I think were just starting to return in 2020. Should things become unpredictable there again, Viking will not hesitate to change its plans. If Turkey is on your bucket, I say see it while you can.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Another thing to consider. Politically, this may be a good time to be visiting Turkey, while it is possible. Viking had pulled out of there in 2016 and I think were just starting to return in 2020. Should things become unpredictable there again, Viking will not hesitate to change its plans. If Turkey is on your bucket, I say see it while you can.

We were scheduled to go there in 2016, but as you indicated, the itinerary was altered. We lost a second chance during Covid, and now have pushed our October 2022 booked cruise forward to 2023 to be here for the birth of our first grandchild (!). Politically, I do hope things hold together, but I am starting to wonder if Istanbul just may not be in the cards for us. Fingers remain crossed, for multiple reasons!!

• Like 2