First Timers on Emerald -> Canaries

knighty33

...as in, first ever cruise that is, not the first on Princess specifically!

Hopefully this post isn't too self indulgent, I didn't really know what would be the most ideal place to post it! We're probably somewhat outside the standard cruising clientele, but greatly looking forward to our cruise even if I'm extremely paranoid and nervous that everything will go wrong as I always am.

Our group is 2 brits and 2 americans all in our 30s who have been a tight friend group for over 10 years online now. We last met up probably over 8 years ago in the UK, and had been planning on doing something like Japan a few years back but, well, we all know what happened to the last few years. I've always wanted to do a cruise, mainly because I find the engineering and sheer scale of cruise ships to be so impressive and love the sea. Flying has always been one of my favourite parts of travelling abroad for this reason too, though I'm not quite sure a cruise ship can satisfy that 20 second take off thrill I love so much!

After looking around a lot and evaluating various destinations / cruise operators, I found the 26th of October Emerald Princess itinerary to the canary islands. To be honest, my first thought with the canary islands is "horrible drunk brits in tenerife" so it had never really been on my radar, which I see now was a very faulty point of view having spent the last week or two looking deeply into what there is to do on the islands, and while madeira had only ever been an island I was aware to having spent time to learn every single world capital a couple of years back, it's now one of the spots I'm most excited to visit.

As a group we're pretty relaxed and certainly not the partying type, hoping to spend some good quality board gaming time on our travels. However, I am the kind of person that likes to blend in, and truthfully one of the things that makes me most nervous is our group sticking out like a sore thumb. I've always struggled with feeling like my tastes and outlook on life sit in an awkward spot between younger and older people, though I tend to get on better around old people especially since I live with my two 90 year old grandparents. I understand Princess does maybe tend to skew on the mid to older side of things, but it'd be nice to know how much of an outlier our group is!

I'm a very very obsessive researcher to the point that I tend to over worry myself in making sure everyone else is having a good time at the expense of my own but I'd rather over than under research something, so I have a few very newbie questions.

Firstly, I'm not really interested in any cruise organised excursions. My plan is something a little different on each port call.

Vigo - We will probably just enjoy a walk around the city

Madeira - I plan on booking a private excursion either to visit the peaks in a bus/taxi or walk it (really that one depends on my group, I’d love the walk!)

Tenerife - We plan on visiting Siam Park by hiring a car at the port which seems like it should be very easy and much cheaper than the cruise excursion to Playas de las Americas and give us more time too

Gran Canaria - No solid plan here yet

Lanzarote - Possibly private excursion to visit the national park

Lisbon - Most likely just explore the city on our own

For disembarking the ship, I understand of course that an 8am time is not going to mean you can walk off exactly at 8am if it’s busy trying to get people off. Would it be sensible to assume at least by 9am we could feasibly be off the ship? For embarking at the end, how much time is sensible to leave as a buffer? 6pm makes a lot of things quite tight, but we don’t want to be the silly people getting left behind due to cutting things too close!

Hopefully this is an appropriate spot for this post, wasn’t sure if it’d be best here, first time cruises or in the roll call thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knighty33 said:

...as in, first ever cruise that is, not the first on Princess specifically!

Hopefully this post isn't too self indulgent, I didn't really know what would be the most ideal place to post it! We're probably somewhat outside the standard cruising clientele, but greatly looking forward to our cruise even if I'm extremely paranoid and nervous that everything will go wrong as I always am.

Our group is 2 brits and 2 americans all in our 30s who have been a tight friend group for over 10 years online now. We last met up probably over 8 years ago in the UK, and had been planning on doing something like Japan a few years back but, well, we all know what happened to the last few years. I've always wanted to do a cruise, mainly because I find the engineering and sheer scale of cruise ships to be so impressive and love the sea. Flying has always been one of my favourite parts of travelling abroad for this reason too, though I'm not quite sure a cruise ship can satisfy that 20 second take off thrill I love so much!

After looking around a lot and evaluating various destinations / cruise operators, I found the 26th of October Emerald Princess itinerary to the canary islands. To be honest, my first thought with the canary islands is "horrible drunk brits in tenerife" so it had never really been on my radar, which I see now was a very faulty point of view having spent the last week or two looking deeply into what there is to do on the islands, and while madeira had only ever been an island I was aware to having spent time to learn every single world capital a couple of years back, it's now one of the spots I'm most excited to visit.

As a group we're pretty relaxed and certainly not the partying type, hoping to spend some good quality board gaming time on our travels. However, I am the kind of person that likes to blend in, and truthfully one of the things that makes me most nervous is our group sticking out like a sore thumb. I've always struggled with feeling like my tastes and outlook on life sit in an awkward spot between younger and older people, though I tend to get on better around old people especially since I live with my two 90 year old grandparents. I understand Princess does maybe tend to skew on the mid to older side of things, but it'd be nice to know how much of an outlier our group is!

I'm a very very obsessive researcher to the point that I tend to over worry myself in making sure everyone else is having a good time at the expense of my own but I'd rather over than under research something, so I have a few very newbie questions.

Firstly, I'm not really interested in any cruise organised excursions. My plan is something a little different on each port call.

Vigo - We will probably just enjoy a walk around the city

Madeira - I plan on booking a private excursion either to visit the peaks in a bus/taxi or walk it (really that one depends on my group, I’d love the walk!)

Tenerife - We plan on visiting Siam Park by hiring a car at the port which seems like it should be very easy and much cheaper than the cruise excursion to Playas de las Americas and give us more time too

Gran Canaria - No solid plan here yet

Lanzarote - Possibly private excursion to visit the national park

Lisbon - Most likely just explore the city on our own

For disembarking the ship, I understand of course that an 8am time is not going to mean you can walk off exactly at 8am if it’s busy trying to get people off. Would it be sensible to assume at least by 9am we could feasibly be off the ship? For embarking at the end, how much time is sensible to leave as a buffer? 6pm makes a lot of things quite tight, but we don’t want to be the silly people getting left behind due to cutting things too close!

Hopefully this is an appropriate spot for this post, wasn’t sure if it’d be best here, first time cruises or in the roll call thread.

I would definitely post this on your roll call, as you have mentioned the ports and maybe your roll call has suggestions?

Only question I see is about getting off the ship about an hour after arrival.  That is a smart idea.  The rush to get off isn’t worth it, unless you have a excursion.  

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

Wow!  Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Princess!

It's hard to say the Princess general age range as it varies on different cruises.  In general the longer  cruises are older passengers, probably bc they have more time being retired.  We were on one 7 day Caribbean cruise full of spring breakers, but that is unusual for Princess.  

Avoiding ship excursions gives you the advantage of more time to do what your group wants to do, and less time waiting for the slowest people in your group.  The disadvantage to not being on a ship excursion is that the ship is not obligated to wait for you should you be late getting back to port.  So you need to keep a close eye on the time in port and we always plan to get back 30 minutes earlier than specified just to be on the safe side.  I've not been to the Canaries, so can't comment on your plans in port.

As for disembarkation, times vary due to unforeseen circumstances (health inspections due to illness on board comes to mind) but you should certainly be off by 9 am probably earlier.  Keep in mind, they are anxious to get their returning passengers off so that the turnaround cleaning and prep can begin as a new set of passengers will be boarding early that afternoon.

Not sure if I've covered your questions, but hopefully have made a start and others can jump in with more info.

Thanks to both of you on the comments. I guess I didn't phrase many things in the form of questions, more just general points about age range and such haha. I'll look at posting in the roll call for more specific port questions, but I really appreciate the comments thus far

I'm sure you will fit in just fine.  Don't over think this, just enjoy it!  With thousands of passengers onboard, you will certainly not stick out like a sore thumb because of your ages.  Just don't dress up like circus performers!!  As long as you aren't expecting an amusement park on board and really enjoy some quiet time watching the wake of the ship you are going to be very sad when disembarkation day arrives.  After my first cruise (Princess too) my feelings were that I don't deserve to be treated so well.

In case you're interested this is the roll call for your cruise.  You may get some tips from others who have been in the Canary Islands before:

EMERALD - October 26, 2022 - Canary Islands - Emerald Princess Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

We did this cruise in 2019 and really enjoyed it. We found the majority of the people on the cruise were Brits (we're American), many of whom did this cruise on an annual basis! Everyone was very friendly. 

We mostly did Princess excursions on this cruise because we wanted easy transportation to the wineries and to Puerto de La Cruz, but in Madiera we found it very easy to go on our own. This is from my notes from this port:

We got off the ship and walked to Center City (about 1.6 miles) and got on the cable car to go up to Monte. When we got off the cable car, we went to the Jardim Monte Palace which is right next to it. This is a very large beautiful garden. It is very hilly with lots of paths, so we got lost in our wandering through a few times. Included in the price of admission was a Madeira wine tasting. I wasn’t crazy about the taste, but when in Madiera, you have to taste their wine. At one point, we could also see the Basket Toboggans going down the hill. We sat and watched them for a while. After we were done in the garden, we went back and went down in the cable car. We walked along the water and sat in the park area a bit before going back to the ship. 

Also, just since you haven't cruised before.....we did find the 1st day or 2 of the cruise was a bit more 'bumpy' than some cruises. You might want to be prepared with some dramamine until you know how you react to it. We have never had a problem with bumpy waters, but I know many do.

It's a great cruise! The port areas are all very happy to have cruise ships so they are very welcoming!

10 minutes ago, knighty33 said:

Will be a bit disappointing leaving my clown shoes at home but I'll try and survive! Thanks Daniel!

At the risk of pointing out what is already obvious, since this will be your first cruise, make sure you look into getting travel insurance.  Check and see if your medical insurance will cover treatments onboard and in Spain and Portugal.  Also make sure you have emergency evacuation coverage.  I hope this advice is helpful.

Just now, Daniel A said:

At the risk of pointing out what is already obvious, since this will be your first cruise, make sure you look into getting travel insurance.  Check and see if your medical insurance will cover treatments onboard and in Spain and Portugal.  Also make sure you have emergency evacuation coverage.  I hope this advice is helpful.

Yep, already been investigating what travel insurance would be best for us, especially with the added headache of potentially cancelled cruises due to last minute positive covid tests, but appreciate the note for sure, I know a lot of people overlook getting good insurance. In Europe we have EHIC cards which I've fortunately never had to make use of but as far as I've always understood it's generally a simple way to deal with any medical emergencies.

7 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

We did this cruise in 2019 and really enjoyed it. We found the majority of the people on the cruise were Brits (we're American), many of whom did this cruise on an annual basis! Everyone was very friendly. 

We mostly did Princess excursions on this cruise because we wanted easy transportation to the wineries and to Puerto de La Cruz, but in Madiera we found it very easy to go on our own. This is from my notes from this port:

We got off the ship and walked to Center City (about 1.6 miles) and got on the cable car to go up to Monte. When we got off the cable car, we went to the Jardim Monte Palace which is right next to it. This is a very large beautiful garden. It is very hilly with lots of paths, so we got lost in our wandering through a few times. Included in the price of admission was a Madeira wine tasting. I wasn’t crazy about the taste, but when in Madiera, you have to taste their wine. At one point, we could also see the Basket Toboggans going down the hill. We sat and watched them for a while. After we were done in the garden, we went back and went down in the cable car. We walked along the water and sat in the park area a bit before going back to the ship. 

Also, just since you haven't cruised before.....we did find the 1st day or 2 of the cruise was a bit more 'bumpy' than some cruises. You might want to be prepared with some dramamine until you know how you react to it. We have never had a problem with bumpy waters, but I know many do.

It's a great cruise! The port areas are all very happy to have cruise ships so they are very welcoming!

Nice to hear from someone else who's done that particular itinerary. It's interesting because I had a look at what the Emerald is doing this year and it does non stop British Isles tours until the 10th of October where it dry docks for a couple of weeks, then does the canaries cruise then shoots off to America from the rest of the year so it seems like quite the unique itinerary. And being after 2 weeks dry docking sounds like it could be a good thing (nice and clean, fresh paint etc) but I have no idea heh. The cable car was certainly on my list of possibilities if it proves difficult booking an excursion properly up the mountains.

• Like 1

Having holidayed twice in Madeira (2 weeks each time) my wife and I are also looking forward to an opportunity to revisit Funchal which is one of our favourite cities. We won't be heading into the interior as we just fancy a relaxed day pottering around the city, maybe an open top bus, maybe the cable car, but really just playing it by ear (so long as we get one of those fabulous custard tarts we'll be happy!). If you want to explore the interior (and it's one of the most scenically stunning places we've ever visited) then I would offer the following advice:

Book a private driver for the day. Between 4 of you it probably won't be too unreasonable, but you will need to be completely flexible in your plans. Madeira has weather. A lot of it! Funchal has something of a microclimate and is generally warm and sunny, but the interior rises almost vertically to 6000ft and the weather there can be extremely changeable. The last time we went there were very few days in the two weeks when the peaks were out of clouds. I would suggest you research some alternative itineraries so you can respond to whatever the weather throws at you on the day. If the weather is good then definitely head for Pico do Arieiro. If you visit the Nun's Valley outlook first there is a stunning mountain road that connects the two with breath taking views all the way. Allow two hours at the summit and hike the first part of the Pilgrims Way as far as the Buzzard viewpoint. It's not too challenging but you'll remember it the rest of your life. However if the weather isn't playing ball there's lots of other fabulous places to explore. The Sao Lourenco peninsular is spectacular and even in poor weather the mountains can be amazing to drive through. A good driver will know the roads and know how long it will take to get back to Funchal so if you aim to be back an hour before the ship departs you should have long enough to have a really good and memorable day out. 

On 6/14/2022 at 9:57 AM, brynmelyndavid said:

Having holidayed twice in Madeira (2 weeks each time) my wife and I are also looking forward to an opportunity to revisit Funchal which is one of our favourite cities. We won't be heading into the interior as we just fancy a relaxed day pottering around the city, maybe an open top bus, maybe the cable car, but really just playing it by ear (so long as we get one of those fabulous custard tarts we'll be happy!). If you want to explore the interior (and it's one of the most scenically stunning places we've ever visited) then I would offer the following advice:

Book a private driver for the day. Between 4 of you it probably won't be too unreasonable, but you will need to be completely flexible in your plans. Madeira has weather. A lot of it! Funchal has something of a microclimate and is generally warm and sunny, but the interior rises almost vertically to 6000ft and the weather there can be extremely changeable. The last time we went there were very few days in the two weeks when the peaks were out of clouds. I would suggest you research some alternative itineraries so you can respond to whatever the weather throws at you on the day. If the weather is good then definitely head for Pico do Arieiro. If you visit the Nun's Valley outlook first there is a stunning mountain road that connects the two with breath taking views all the way. Allow two hours at the summit and hike the first part of the Pilgrims Way as far as the Buzzard viewpoint. It's not too challenging but you'll remember it the rest of your life. However if the weather isn't playing ball there's lots of other fabulous places to explore. The Sao Lourenco peninsular is spectacular and even in poor weather the mountains can be amazing to drive through. A good driver will know the roads and know how long it will take to get back to Funchal so if you aim to be back an hour before the ship departs you should have long enough to have a really good and memorable day out. 

Booking a taxi for the 4 of us was definitely my plan. Found what seems to be a pretty reputable company that, yeah, work out very reasonably for a group of 4 for what you get. Pico do Arieiro was on the list of things to see and I wanted to know what'd be a sensible walking route around there that was in the region of 2-3 hours so that's a great suggestion you've given me to work with. Thanks so much for the input, it helps a lot!

The arrival time is an estimate of when the ship will be cleared.

Departure time is the ship leaving passengers need to be back 30mins before tender port last is usually 1hr.

Sometimes if ready as soon as the cleared call comes you can miss any rush.  Easier at a 6am/7am, not so easy at 9am

Princess is pretty relaxed Emerald ex UK does get a fare few dressing up especially formal nights but jeans and shirt are still fine.

Young lady(old teen) in the dining room with torn jeans last night

Gaming is fine most cruises you get borders, cards 

Plenty of places to set up for a long session.

On the current cruise as Steamers and Planks are not operating there are always free tables even during buffet lunch dinner time

Good location as bar just outside and food close by.

There was a mahjong table set up a couple of days ago

Can also order on the app and food drink will come to you.

• Thanks 1

Tenerife - We plan on visiting Siam Park by hiring a car at the port which seems like it should be very easy and much cheaper than the cruise excursion to Playas de las Americas and give us more time too

Siam Park is a water park . Is that what you want ? There's Loro Park nearby, animals , but in the South of the island is the Volcano , Mt Teidi.

• Thanks 1

We did the Canaries in 2019 and took some amazing private excursions.  Of course, this was pre Covid and I don't know whether these companies are still in business but here is the contact information if you want to check them out.

In Madeira, we used Up Mountain Madeira, info @upmountainmadeira.com.

In Gran Canaria we used Sky Rebels, www.sky-rebels.com or e-mail at skyrebelsfly@gmail.com

In Lanzarote we used Blackstone Treks, info@blackstonetreks.com

In vigo we did a 4 hr. shared tour with Cruising Excursions, www.cruisingexcursions.com

All of the above were fantastic tours and I would highly recommend them if they are available.

Barb

• Thanks 2