Packing Extra....?

NavyCruiser

For our upcoming cruise next week to Alaska, flying into Vancouver, & back to US.

Besides cold/wet weather clothing, Thinking of packing extra:

- Masks.   Just in case RCCL makes them mandatory.  Or will cruise line provides them?

- Test kits.  Just in case we test positive, then having to re-test daily during quarantine.

- Cold/Flu medicine.  

So prudent to pack extras of above?

Any other suggs?

Or are we too paranoid...?

Any prescription meds- these days an extra week or two of whatever you take might be prudent. 

Do I understand this properly? Fly into Vancouver (ArriveCAN needed), board ship (a second ArriveCAN and test results), cruise to Alaska, fly home from there? No test needed to fly back home since it is actually a domestic flight. 

• Like 1

• In that case- for sure bring extra prescription meds!  Although completely without thought we managed to make things as easy and safe for us as possible- fly directly to Canada which means everyone has to be vaccinated, sail out of Vancouver which means that everyone will also have had a negative CoVid test, fly back from Alaska directly so no concerns about test results. Unless of course we get sick on board. Which is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! (I figure if I should it, maybe that will work!)

@NavyCruiser:  While I have never taken a RCCL cruise we are very familiar with their "sister" line Celebrity.

Since the restart of cruises Celebrity now provides heavy cloth masks in staterooms.  They also have the disposable medical style masks available for those who ask.  My husband tested positive for Covid on a Vancouver to Honolulu cruise in April, and KN95 masks were provided to him (he was in isolation) and me (I stayed in our suite).

In this age it is a good idea to pack a few home Covid-19 kits so you can easily test if you have any suspicions.  We are double vaccinated and double boosted.  My husband's case was surprisingly mild.  But he developed a slight odd cough, and since we had the kits, we thought we should test.  He tested positive immediately so we called the Medical Center.  A nurse came to the suite to administer a PCR to him and an antigen to me.  He tested positive on the PCR so it was off to isolation for him.  Celebrity had me report to the covid testing center (where they test the crew) daily.  So while I was being tested daily the cruise line was administering the tests.  I wasn't testing using our home test kits.  And I never did test positive.

My husband was provided a fingertip pulse oximeter and a forehead thermometer so he could take his own readings when the Medical Center called him several times a day.  A nurse or physician also visited him daily.  He was provided cough syrup and OTC pain killer but he never developed any muscle aches or headache.

On Celebrity folks are reporting that items such as OTC pain meds, OTC allergy products and cough syrup have been removed from the sundry shop.  They are available for purchase but the concern is that someone may be experiencing mild covid.  

According to a report on our Alaska public radio network, which was repeated in the Anchorage Daily News today, some ships are experiencing a surge in cases.  I don't think you are being too paranoid.  We leave in a week for a B2B cruise and we are indeed packing a supply of our own KN95 masks and a few home covid test kits.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:36 AM, NavyCruiser said:

Since we're flying from Vancouver, Canada back to Texas USA, it's an International flight, thus we need to take covid test the day before our flight back...

Lucky you- testing not to be required to return to the US as of tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:52 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

I always pack extra over the counter stuff.  No wonder my carry on is so dang heavy. 😉  Might need a band-aid, tums, itch cream, sore throat, etc.  

SAme here - its sometimes difficult (and expensive) to find these medications/sundries onboard, especially of you are partial to certain brands.