Silver Seas vs Wind Star, Norwegian Fyords cruise

Sisa

We are looking to go to Norway in the summer of 2023 for a cruise through the Norwegian Fyords, and are trying to decide between Wind Star vs Silver Seas. We are drawn to the itinerary from Wind Star, but the ship from Silver Seas seems a bit nicer. We have never been on either cruise line. It appears like Silver Seas might be more formal, have more to do on the ship, and be less active.  What would make you chose Silver Seas over Wind Star or vice versa?

We are a healthy, active couple in our late 50s.

We did our first Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Seabourn Sojourn in September of 2010. The size of the ship (450 pax) was perfect for navigating the fjords, and there was enough to do on board that we never got bored. We are going again this summer, but this time on the Silver Whisper, which is slightly smaller (388 pax). On the first cruise we did not get as far as North Cape and the Arctic Circle, which is why we decided to return this year. 

Silversea is more luxurious than Windstar, but it is more formal for dress code. Silversea also includes shore excursions and alcohol (which is very expensive in Norway) in the price which may be a factor for you. However, it is usually more expensive than Wind Star. 

The deciding factor for us on both these cruises was itinerary, particularly the fjords and seeing North Cape. In any event, it's hard to go wrong with such a beautiful destination like Norway regardless of which ship you pick, especially if it's a small ship from a luxury cruise line.  

1 hour ago, Sisa said:

…trying to decide between Wind Star vs Silver Seas.

The cruise line in this forum is called Silversea.  Singular.  One word.

1 hour ago, Sisa said:

We are looking to go to Norway in the summer of 2023…

Which ship?

If it is an expedition ship, they are not formal at all.

W'ere just back from a Silver Whisper cruise to Norway, and we've been on Windstar several times.  Both have the small ship advantage of being able to navigate small ports.  The differences are apparent in the cost - larger and more comfortable staterooms on Silversea, included booze and excursions, and a bit more polish overall.  The food preparation and excursions on the Whisper were a mixed bag - some excellent, some disappointing, and most somewhere in between.  The included wines were acceptable but not more than that.  Service was excellent.  Windstar is more casual in style and dress.  In our experience, the food was no better or worse than on Silversea.  I believe they now offer some version of all-inclusive.  

Our first couple of cruises were on Windstar many years ago and they were a great place to start.  Now we enjoy a bit more pampering when we're on a cruise.  

Mu opinion - for a healthy active couple in their 50s, Windstar could be a better fit in general.  But in Norway, the included excursions on Silversea were often exactly what we would have done ourselves if we'd been on our own in port.  I'd look into those when comparing itineraries, too.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your replies thus far. We seem to be in a situation in which Silverseas offers a more affordable cruise, on a nicer ship, but perhapsnot as good an itinerary as Windstar.

Silverseas is going to Copenhagen, Bergen, Slam, olden, Geiranger, hellesylt, Arendal, Oslo and Copenhagen. Windstar is going to Copenhagen, bergen, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Oldn, Flam, Sandnes, Skagen, Aaborg, and Copenhagen. Any thoughts on these different itineraries? This is the only reason why we wouldn't be thrilled to take the Silverseas deal.

2 hours ago, Sisa said:

Thank you so much for your replies thus far. We seem to be in a situation in which Silverseas offers a more affordable cruise, on a nicer ship, but perhapsnot as good an itinerary as Windstar.

Silverseas is going to Copenhagen, Bergen, Slam, olden, Geiranger, hellesylt, Arendal, Oslo and Copenhagen. Windstar is going to Copenhagen, bergen, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Oldn, Flam, Sandnes, Skagen, Aaborg, and Copenhagen. Any thoughts on these different itineraries? This is the only reason why we wouldn't be thrilled to take the Silverseas deal.

We liked Oslo a lot - if the Viking ship museum is open again when you go I wouldn't miss it (one point for Silversea).  Flam was canceled on our cruise, to my regret (one point for Windstar).  The Olden area is spectacularly beautiful (tie).  The Geiranger fjord is supposed to be beautiful so nice that it appears on both itineraries.  Don't know about the others!

PS  The Ports boards here on cruise critic can help you sort out the alternatives, too

Edited by alc13

I've been to Norway several times on medium sized and large ships, and it's always struck me how much nicer it would be on a small ship which can get into smaller ports easily, and give more of a sense of closeness to the fjords. Alcohol is eye wateringly expensive in Norway so Silversea would appear to have the advantage over a line where it isn't included. I'm quite fancying sailing there again on Whisper, perhaps, but will wait until the restrictions, testing etc are completely gone. The build up to my Iceland sailing on Whisper later this month is being spoiled by stress over testing etc.