Civitavecchia train station questions

LoriLoriLori

When we get off Odyssey in early October we are going to termini station for a train to Venice. I would like to get the 9:55a train from Termini.

Odyssey is scheduled to arrive at 5am. Is 9:55 doable?

Is is faster to take a shared shuttle to termini or the bus to Civitavechia station and then the train?

On 6/23/2022 at 12:07 AM, artvlay said:

When we get off Odyssey in early October we are going to termini station for a train to Venice. I would like to get the 9:55a train from Termini.

Odyssey is scheduled to arrive at 5am. Is 9:55 doable?

Is is faster to take a shared shuttle to termini or the bus to Civitavechia station and then the train?

It's unfortunate that the one Frecciabianca (fast train) from Civitavecchia in the morning doesn't depart until 9:16, making it impossible for you to get your connection onward if you are set on 9:55 am.

From what I have read here, people are reporting early walk-off from the ship around 6:30, maybe 7:00 am worst-case. 

At the moment they seem to be offering shuttles from ship-side directly to the train station which is new. I would keep confirming this is available from returning cruisers, but makes it a virtual lock on getting one of the earlier trains to Termini.  

If it were me, I would possibly consider a later train to Venice in order to utilize the Frecciabianca from Civi and spare yourselves the hassle of taking the regionale train (no reserved seats, not a lot of luggage storage, AND a very long walk to the gate where you'll have to make your connection to Venice in Termini station).

Even the slow trains probably beat a shared shuttle to Termini by 20 or more minutes (could be 30+ minutes in worst cases) due to the amount of traffic congestion in Central Rome and especially around Termini. However, again keep in mind that you'll probably walk a good 15 minutes in the station getting from your arrival platform to the head of the station where the faster and more long-distance trains usually depart.

Edited by cruisemom42

39 minutes ago, bluecruisin said:

Are there taxis at from Civ. train station  to get to the local hotels?

Best answer I can give is "maybe".  There are never a lot of taxis there waiting and if they're busy, there may not be one waiting. However, IIRC there is a number posted that you can call to get a taxi.  Or you could ring your hotel and ask them to call one to the train station for you.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:39 AM, cruisemom42 said:

It's unfortunate that the one Frecciabianca (fast train) from Civitavecchia in the morning doesn't depart until 9:16, making it impossible for you to get your connection onward if you are set on 9:55 am.

From what I have read here, people are reporting early walk-off from the ship around 6:30, maybe 7:00 am worst-case. 

At the moment they seem to be offering shuttles from ship-side directly to the train station which is new. I would keep confirming this is available from returning cruisers, but makes it a virtual lock on getting one of the earlier trains to Termini.  

If it were me, I would possibly consider a later train to Venice in order to utilize the Frecciabianca from Civi and spare yourselves the hassle of taking the regionale train (no reserved seats, not a lot of luggage storage, AND a very long walk to the gate where you'll have to make your connection to Venice in Termini station).

Even the slow trains probably beat a shared shuttle to Termini by 20 or more minutes (could be 30+ minutes in worst cases) due to the amount of traffic congestion in Central Rome and especially around Termini. However, again keep in mind that you'll probably walk a good 15 minutes in the station getting from your arrival platform to the head of the station where the faster and more long-distance trains usually depart.

Cruisemom42, 

Thank you for your help. I think we are going to get the 10:55 train from Termini to Venice so we don't get stressed.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:34 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Unfortunately, unless things have changed recently, you can only buy the BIRG ticket at the station on the day of travel. I remember hearing that they are not always available through the train ticket office but that you can get them at the newsstand, which is what I did. 

Still trying to decide between the BIRG ticket or just paying separately for the regional train and metro. I don't plan to use the metro that much in Rome.  I've noticed you can purchase regional train tickets in advance from the Trenitalia web site, but it looks like you need to pick a specific date/time?  Do you know if these tickets are only good for the train time specified?

I'd like to buy the ticket in advance, as it would save time of having to purchase one that morning.  But, since I can't be sure that I can get off the ship in time to make the 7:44am train and may need to catch the 7:58am train instead, perhaps it would be better to flexible and wait to buy the ticket at the station?

A regional ticket purchased on line becomes valid automatically at the time you purchased it for and it remains valid for four hours.

In other words, a ticket purchased for the 7:44 train becomes automatically valid at 7:44 (in the way a paper ticket becomes valid when it is stamped) and it is good for travel on the purchased route until 11:44.  Since the actual travel time is about an hour, you could take any of the next several regional trains and still be okay.

Trenitalia provides instructions on how to purchase tickets from their site in English here:  guida_acquisto_online_nuovo_pda_2_mar_ENG.pdf (trenitalia.com)

Unfortunately, the terms and conditions of tickets are still only published in italian.  The relevant section is here, under the section entitied "Validità".  Google translate gets close enough:  4. Utilizzo, convalida e validità dei titoli di viaggio valido dal 18.02.2019 - Copia (trenitalia.com)

• Thanks 1

Can someone please answer this question.  I keep reading threads about Civ, but can't seem to find it.

If we take the train back from Rome to Civ station, how do I get to my cruise ship?  Is there a shuttle that will get us to the gangway?  Should I just opt for a transfer that will drop us off in front of the ship?

Last time we did this in 2017, we walked all the way to the ship, which sucked.  Can't do that now since my elderly mom will be with me.

Please and thanks.