Changing occupancy after booking

mat5664

My partner has never been on a cruise and is a bit nervous/undecided about going.  I would like to book one for June 23 on Iona as I promised to take my mother as we had one cancelled due to the Pandemic.

I will book a single for my mother.  For the other one, is it better to book for 2 now and take her off if necessary nearer the time, or book a double for single occupancy and add her on later if she wants to come.  (The t&c say "A Guest shall not have the right to exclusive occupancy of a cabin with two or more berths unless the single person supplement is paid. If a cancellation results in a Guest becoming the sole occupant of a cabin with two or more berths, he/she shall be liable to pay the single person supplement"

If by June 23rd you mean this year, how much nearer the time does she need to decide?!

I would book a double - it might encourage her to make the leap of faith - I am sure she will love it!

She can blame me if she doesn't, rather than her blaming you for bouncing her into it!

• Like 1

I booked my daughter as a single occupant in a double cabin a couple of years ago. Obviously paid more - around two thirds, three quarters ish of what double occupancy would have been. Not long before departure a friend was able to come and I was just charged the difference between single and double occupancy at time of booking. Worked well. 

Your final pricing will be based upon prices when you originally book.

If there is cheap deposits, only book for one. Then it can be cheaper to cancel and rebook for two if there is a new promotion at the later time of adjustment.

One word of warning. Each section of ship has maximum capacities. If cruise sells out and you've only originally booked one person, there is no guarantee that a second person can be added even if the cabin has the capacity.

• Like 1