YC Deposits non refundable?

J13C85

I saw in the T&Cs that YC deposits are non refundable (regardless as to how far out a trip is) yet all other categories are fully refundable up to 120 days before departure (isn't that like telling a first class airline ticket is fully restricted but coach tickets are not?).  Is this restriction new? My YC experience was Oct of 19 and I dont remember that being non refundable.

49 minutes ago, J13C85 said:

I saw in the T&Cs that YC deposits are non refundable (regardless as to how far out a trip is) yet all other categories are fully refundable up to 120 days before departure (isn't that like telling a first class airline ticket is fully restricted but coach tickets are not?).  Is this restriction new? My YC experience was Oct of 19 and I dont remember that being non refundable.

It is a relatively new development for MSC.

MSC decided to make YC deposits non refundable so people would stop booking “ possible” cruises and then cancel at final payment deadline.

MSC felt they could not sell YC suites at such a “ late” time.

They do allow a change to another YC cruise. But, only one change.

When they cancel the cruise, they should refund the deposit.IMHO 

43 minutes ago, phissy said:

It is a relatively new development for MSC.

MSC decided to make YC deposits non refundable so people would stop booking “ possible” cruises and then cancel at final payment deadline.

MSC felt they could not sell YC suites at such a “ late” time.

They do allow a change to another YC cruise. But, only one change.

When they cancel the cruise, they should refund the deposit.IMHO 

For me there are two issues with this. First, it's the restrictions on the highest fare class that got me.  If MSC is going to make YC non refundable, they should do that across all categories. Second, if they pushed out that non refundable to something like 240 days it would be much more palatable.  I book a long way out (usually well over a year).  Hard to choose YC as $500 is a lot of money to just throw away if life gets in the way.  We wound up booking Celebrity for Nov 23 (Sky Suite) and we chose a higher fare to keep the deposit refundable.  We will see what 2024 brings.

9 hours ago, J13C85 said:

If MSC is going to make YC non refundable, they should do that across all categories.

With Yacht Club deposits being so low (compared to NCL Haven, for example), too many people were booking multiple weeks and then cancelling. Aurea and Fantastica staterooms probably don't have the same problem to the degree that Yacht Club staterooms have. 

Even after the wording on the website and confirmation had changed to state "non-refundable", I was still able to have Yacht Club deposits returned. Not everyone has been so lucky. 

Second, if they pushed out that non refundable to something like 240 days it would be much more palatable.

It might be a case of different markets around the world having different deposit restrictions and MSC is trying to unify a policy for all. In some markets, deposits are non-refundable for everyone. 

I book a long way out (usually well over a year).  Hard to choose YC as $500 is a lot of money to just throw away if life gets in the way.

I also book a long way out. 18 months to 2 years (or more) is normal for me especially if a new ship is being built. I don't book the earliest sailing because of potential ship building delays and I also prefer that the wrinkles of a new ship are ironed out before I sail. The ability to move a deposit gives a bit of relief. I don't really have a problem with Yacht Club deposits being non-refundable especially since they are so low. My lowest deposit on a Royal Suite was $49pp ($98 total). By comparison, a deposit for a family of 4 in the Haven on NCL would be at least $2,000 ($750, $750, $250, $250) for a 7 night. 

With MSC's horrible bookkeeping procedures, I convince myself that once MSC has my money, I'll never see it again. Although I have received every cancelled deposit and refund so far (still waiting 1 more billing cycle for a cancelled excursion), the horror stories of people being owed money from MSC are too many to ignore.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, J13C85 said:

I saw in the T&Cs that YC deposits are non refundable (regardless as to how far out a trip is)

I'm very glad to hear that. It may mean that it will be easier to find available YC cabins when people can't book and later cancel if they change their mind. 

Thank you MSC!