Spendor red wines

Haha - I’m on that cruise!  I was wondering if I need to pick up a couple of bottles in Copenhagen prior to getting on the ship!  So,  thanks for the offer, but you will be late with the news I need!  Let’s all test negative.  See you on the ship! 

irishwitchy -- As a rule of thumb we've found that the wines on the onboard wine list are priced about high end retail -- usually over Wine Searchers average price but usually below the the higher retail prices listed.  They do not mark up to "restaurant" prices.  The red wines lean more to Cabernet and Cab blends and they only have a few Pinots.  We think the wines are very good value for restaurant dining.   That said, we often bring a few bottles of wine from home on our cruises and we will also buy wines at stops en route and drink on the ship.  There are no corkage fees and the Somms have no problem with you bringing your own wine to any of the restaurants. 

We will be with you on the Copenhagen cruise so we'll see you onboard.  We test this morning and are flying out this evening. 

Thanks, guys.  I have been on Regent a few times prior to COVID and I understand their mark up on wine - not restaurant prices.    Can anyone comment on what is currently on the list for red wines?  2019 isn’t 2022 - that is like picking out a great vintage and the wait staff says the wine vintage that is two years younger is the same as the one you picked out.  Lol.  

10 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Thanks, guys.  I have been on Regent a few times prior to COVID and I understand their mark up on wine - not restaurant prices.    Can anyone comment on what is currently on the list for red wines?  2019 isn’t 2022 - that is like picking out a great vintage and the wait staff says the wine vintage that is two years younger is the same as the one you picked out.  Lol.  

It would be an up tick if they gave you vintages a couple years later on many higher end wines on the 2019 list.   "Hey take back that 2016 Phelps Insignia I ordered 2014"  or the 2013 vs 2015 Chateaux Ducru Beaucaillou.  My recollection (which ain't what it used to be) is consistent with the 2019 list.   The list has some excellent and reasonable choices in the $60-150 range, the higher end wines are from average vintages and lack age.  So if your are interested in a premier wine you may want to hit the wine cellar and have them decant it a few hours ahead of time.

Enjoy your trip and please keep us up to date

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the list . We are sailing on Navigator in September.

This will be our first Regent cruise. So, are the inclusive wine lists standard across all ships . Or doe the head sommelier on each ship determine the list.?

Also, is the markup for non inclusive wines reasonable ? 
thanks

4 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

Thanks for posting the list . We are sailing on Navigator in September.

This will be our first Regent cruise. So, are the inclusive wine lists standard across all ships . Or doe the head sommelier on each ship determine the list.?

Also, is the markup for non inclusive wines reasonable ? 
thanks

Hi, Joe - The standard/complimentary wines offered are very dependent upon whether/if the ships can get restocked in the particular areas where they're operating.  We've certainly never gone thirsty on any of the cruises we've sailed on.  And we've also found there to be a very acceptable selection of complimentary reds, whites, and sparkling.

Of course, it's also very dependent upon where your own individual "bar/standard" of acceptable wines is set at, as well!  😉  We also found that the mark-up for the premium wines was quite reasonable, fair, and moderate, too!  We have only ordered "premium pours" a few times, "just for a fling", and found them all to be quite good and very reasonably priced. Best Regards.

• Like 1

Thanks, pingpong1.

On previous cruises that we have taken, we rarely used the premium wine list.

However, with only one Pinot noir offered I may have to use the premium wine 

list. Unless the Pinot offered is to our liking. It’s nice to have choices.

Just a side note.  On our Splendor cruise in February, we ordered a couple of high end Reds off the Wine list, only to be told they were out of them.  Very disappointing that they were still on the list.  Hope you have better luck.

Me also!  Got on the ship today - I’m always picking out the bottle they can’t find!   I do it a lot - to the point my husband, friends and family get ready for the long wait and a second or third choice pick.   As an IT person,  all wine lists should be on a tablet and the inventory updated daily in the perfect world with the correct vintage!  Funny story, years ago at Jean Georges we get handed the wine list at 5:30 on a Saturday night and discover a bottle of wine for 14.95.  A typo,  we pointed it out and all the lists were pulled and fixed -  we actually ordered that wine and got a very nice discount (it wasn’t the 14.95,  but we did well)! 

• Like 1