LA hotel app. halfway between LAX and San Pedro port or stay near LAX one night pre-cruise?

cruzgryphon

Taking a cruise next February (Discovery Princess) from the San Pedro port. The hotels that are typically recommended are either too expensive (Double Tree by Hilton) or sold out for the dates I'm looking for (Crowne Plaza) or no longer operating as a hotel (Best Western Plus San Pedro). Looked at some other ones nearby San Pedro...but based on feedback on this board, not comfortable with the areas they are in. Wondering now if there are any hotels halfway between LAX and San Pedro - with idea being to split the difference in travel time from LAX to the port that people would recommend. Looking at about $USD 200 to 250 max for one night pre-cruise. Or is it better to just stay somewhere close to LAX and uber the next morning to San Pedro?

10 minutes ago, cruzgryphon said:

Taking a cruise next February (Discovery Princess) from the San Pedro port. The hotels that are typically recommended are either too expensive (Double Tree by Hilton) or sold out for the dates I'm looking for (Crowne Plaza) or no longer operating as a hotel (Best Western Plus San Pedro). Looked at some other ones nearby San Pedro...but based on feedback on this board, not comfortable with the areas they are in. Wondering now if there are any hotels halfway between LAX and San Pedro - with idea being to split the difference in travel time from LAX to the port that people would recommend. Looking at about $USD 200 to 250 max for one night pre-cruise. Or is it better to just stay somewhere close to LAX and uber the next morning to San Pedro?

Rather than Uber, you might check the shore excursions to see if there’s an airport shuttle to the ship. There are plenty of hotels around the airport and I assume many have courtesy shuttles. 

Are you certain the hotels are sold out? Some only allow booking six months in advance.

If you want to look at hotels between LAX and San Pedro, there are a couple of options...but all depends, IMO, on when you're flying in and what you want to do.  Assuming you just want to relax and go to dinner, you could almost stay anywhere.  I don't particularly like the area immediately next to LAX...It's boring and there aren't many places to eat.  But, you do keep it down to one Uber ride.

Splitting that ride in two, the areas I would look at in between are either Redondo Beach near the Redondo Beach Pier/King Harbor or Torrance near the Del Amo Mall.  Redondo Beach gives you a pleasant seaside area with some restaurant choices.  Del Amo gives you a large suburban shopping mall with lots of restaurants nearby.  You may find hotels in either area within your price range.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruzgryphon said:

Wow, thanks for the news about the Best Western! 

Back in October, I experimented with staying at an airport hotel (Hyatt Regency LAX) and then doubling back to the airport to use the cruise line shuttle. While I wouldn't do the second bit again, I'd definitely consider staying by the airport again and then taking Uber/Lyft/taxi to port in the morning.

The disadvantage is the lack of dining options, although DoorDash/UberEats would solve that issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, coastcat said:

Wow, thanks for the news about the Best Western! 

Back in October, I experimented with staying at an airport hotel (Hyatt Regency LAX) and then doubling back to the airport to use the cruise line shuttle. While I wouldn't do the second bit again, I'd definitely consider staying by the airport again and then taking Uber/Lyft/taxi to port in the morning.

The disadvantage is the lack of dining options, although DoorDash/UberEats would solve that issue.

This is the plan for my cruise in October - staying near LAX and then doubling back to take the Cruise excursion transportation to the ship.  What didn't you like about using the cruise line transportation?  I'm signed up for 1200.  My Mom has mobility challenges and I thought the lift on the shuttle / bus would be easier for her?

38 minutes ago, BeachyGirl64 said:

This is the plan for my cruise in October - staying near LAX and then doubling back to take the Cruise excursion transportation to the ship.  What didn't you like about using the cruise line transportation?  I'm signed up for 1200.  My Mom has mobility challenges and I thought the lift on the shuttle / bus would be easier for her?

The cruise line shuttles will wait around, fill to capacity, and then head to port. You could be waiting for a while inside the bus, or standing around outside, or be herded from one area to another. I can't imagine it would be a pleasant experience for someone with mobility challenges. This would be a good question to pose on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

Unless you're on a strict budget, booking a Lyft/Uber from your hotel would be much more comfortable and allows you to set your own schedule.

13 hours ago, coastcat said:

The cruise line shuttles will wait around, fill to capacity, and then head to port. You could be waiting for a while inside the bus, or standing around outside, or be herded from one area to another. I can't imagine it would be a pleasant experience for someone with mobility challenges. This would be a good question to pose on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

Unless you're on a strict budget, booking a Lyft/Uber from your hotel would be much more comfortable and allows you to set your own schedule.

Thank you - I appreciate your feedback!

On 6/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, cruzgryphon said:

Wondering now if there are any hotels halfway between LAX and San Pedro - with idea being to split the difference in travel time from LAX to the port that people would recommend. Looking at about $USD 200 to 250 max for one night pre-cruise. Or is it better to just stay somewhere close to LAX and uber the next morning to San Pedro?

Better is judgment call based on many factors. Those factors might be, what day of the week are you arriving, what time of day? For example, if I was arriving from Toronto after 7PM or so, I might just get a hotel by LAX and Uber from the hotel the next day. If I was arriving at LAX from Toronto in the early afternoon I'd Uber to a hotel in Torrance near the Del Amo Fashion Center at the Best Western Plus Avita Suites or DoubleTree Torrance; both were under $200 when I checked. (Do note that U.S. hotels quote the base rate without taxes or fees so a "$180" room could be $210 at checkout. You are able to see all fees and taxes before you click a final booking, but you have to go through the steps of booking up to the final step to see that final cost.)

• Like 1