Move Up Offer Solstice 2 Sept Alaska

ScottC4746

I received a move up bid officer from Concierge C3 to:

Celebrity Suite up to $2,000 per person

Royal Suite up to $3750 per person

Which would you do and why?  This is our first to Alaska and first on Celebrity.

I wouldn't do the CS, I prefer to see the ocean from my bed, for the cost you would get a larger cabin, Luminae and the Retreat lounge.

We won a bid in 2021 to a RS from Aqua but the price was almost half of  your minimum. With a RS the suite is amazing and in addition to Luminae, you get Specialty dining, laundry, bar setup and other perks but for $1000 day? 

Is Aqua class available for access to Blu dining room?

Edited by lovecruzin

1 minute ago, lovecruzin said:

I wouldn't do the CS, I prefer to see the ocean from my bed, for the cost you would get a larger cabin, Luminae and the Retreat lounge.

We won a bid in 2021 to a RS from Aqua but the price was almost half of  your minimum. With a RS in addition to Luminae, you get Specialty dining, laundry, bar setup and other perks but for $1000 day are the space and VIP status are important?

Is Aqua class available for access to Blu dining room?

Yes up to $500

When you say "up to" is that the maximum bid or the minimum.   Remember bids are per person.  The RS on S class ships is one of my favorite staterooms and does come with a bunch of extra amenities over the CS like bar setup and unlimited specialty dining.

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

When you say "up to" is that the maximum bid or the minimum.   Remember bids are per person.  The RS on S class ships is one of my favorite staterooms and does come with a bunch of extra amenities over the CS like bar setup and unlimited specialty dining.

Up to is maximum.  $3110 pp is the lowest strongest bid available.  Lowest weakest bid is $1500 pp.

You are correct that that ship has not been Revolutionized so does not include the sun deck.   I wouldn't expect you would get much use of the sun deck on an Alaska itinerary anyway.  Those upper forward looking decks are there, they are now just available to everyone and are just open deck with loungers.

The Retreat Lounge is still called Michaels Club but that's not an issue as the name change was just marketing, still a private lounge for suite guests.

You also want to consider the difference in what you paid to the current promo price.   Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to just upgrade at the current rate.   Bidding really depends on how much value you place on the upgrade.

1 minute ago, lovecruzin said:

I don't know what you paid, but it looks like there is an aft Sky Suite for your cruise that is available for $3751 pp. Perhaps upgrading not via “move up” would be an option. 

I did go on line and the only suite available to purchase right out now is sky.  Now I am confused why the others are up for bid.

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

I did go on line and the only suite available to purchase right out now is sky.  Now I am confused why the others are up for bid.

Just because you can bid on them doesn’t mean the category is available or ever will be! Also doesn't mean that you would have your bid accepted if one does become available. 

7 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Just because you can bid on them doesn’t mean the category is available or ever will be! Also doesn't mean that you would have your bid accepted if one does become available. 

So does that mean just because RS is not available to outright purchase it is not worth bidding on because I wouldn't get it anyway?  I should do sky suite and lower since sky is the only one available to purchase directly?

The Aft Sky Suites are very nice and you get the suite amenities other than the extras of the highest level suite.   If you are looking for a suite I would seriously consider this as from the sounds of it your chances of getting one via bidding would be remote even with a strong bid.

They accept bids on unavailable categories as there are always people who don't show up for the sailing or cancel last minute for various reasons.   Cancellations are a bit higher now due to covid and the airline situations but it's still a crap shoot.

If you were to decide to take the Sky Suite and you really wanted the higher level suite I would inform the Retreat Concierge on boarding that you would be interested if one were to become available.  Then if one were available they would make you an offer and you could accept/reject.

On the flip side, if I were to wait until I get to the terminal and ask really nicely, "what are the chances of upgrading," again a crap shoot, but does that happen. especially now with chances of people testing positive just befor ethe cruise?

Edited by ScottC4746

Maybe in the terminal with the pier coordinator but probably not.  That's why I said the Retreat Concierge in Michaels Club/Retreat Lounge immediately after boarding if you were in a suite already.   Otherwise it would be at Guest Relations where I think your chances would be significantly less as there are always people in suites looking to move up as well.

On-board upgrade price offered is up to the revenue manager onboard and can be anywhere from complementary (not often) to current retail price (most often).

Edited by wrk2cruise

I'm not sure I would want to pay extra for an upgrade on a port intensive Alaska cruise. The retreat lounge doesn't have windows. Everybody has access to the front upper deck for viewings if the ship is not revolutionized. Cheaper to just pay for your extra bar set up and specialty dining up front. The main thing I would value is a good veranda. Just a thought...

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

You mention people canceling after testing positive. I believe the cancellation policy is different for the move up, if you end up having to cancel, the amount for the upgrade is non refundable. Check the T&Cs.

I believe if you are not able to travel due to positive covid test within the required testing window the MoveUp is refundable.   If you just cancel using CwC prior to 48 hrs I suspect it is non-refundable.

The Celebrity policies are completely different for positive test vs CwC.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe if you are not able to travel due to positive covid test within the required testing window the MoveUp is refundable.   If you just cancel using CwC prior to 48 hrs I suspect it is non-refundable.

The Celebrity policies are completely different for positive test vs CwC.

Thanks for the clarification. 

CwC is issued as a FCC for cruise fare so there would be no FCC for the MoveUp portion.   If you test positive you are eligible for a Refund or FCC (your choice).   I suspect if you choose FCC the MoveUp would be issued as a refund anyway but speculation on my part.

14 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Oh decisions decisions.  What to do what to do?

11 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Thanks for the clarification. 

Keep your C3, unless you want to entertain in your cabin…..

or have money to throw away.