(Semi) Formal attire for 16yr olds

GoldenGopher

If you can afford the cruise you should be able to afford a suit for your children. A quick internet search found suits for even small children, sizes 4-7 for $70.00. You can get a decent enough looking adult suit for not much more . They can wear the same pants with a dress shirt for semi-formal nights. Not that too many people will care anyway if they show up with a shirt and tie on formal nights, but there is a dress code, just like in school. So, where do you draw the line? If this was Carnival then I guess that pretty much anything goes. Like on our only Carnival cruise when one couple would roll into the dining room just before they closed the doors wearing tank tops and cutoffs and packing a can of Foster's Lager.

The dress code is posted in the cruise line literature and for those who don't want to conform there is always the buffet or room service. Or, they can stay home and dine at McDonalds or similar places, but even there you will find the sign on the door: No shoes, no shirt, no service!!!

This is our first cruise, that is why I was asking. I didn't know there were no shorts in the dining room. Of course my children will follow the rules and I would never let them dress down. I just wasn't sure about the dining room rules. Thanks for clarifying.

My son will be 17 at the time of sailing on the Crown this year and we have decided to rent him a tux. Considering his rate of growth the cost of renting is much less than purchasing a suit.

Here is the link to the site if anyone is interested...https://secure01.bellsouth-hosting.net/ssl.cruiselineformal.com/secure/order_pcl_m.html

The cost of the rental is $85. There will be 2 formal nights on our cruise and I think a little over $40 per night is reasonable for him to fit in and feel as though he were an adult. After all....17 is considered a young man and no longer a child.

For the other nights during the week he always wears Docker type pants and a golf type shirt and feels very comfortable.

My daughter is another story. At 11, she would be very happy wearing a gown every night of the week if she could. How could kids be so different from each other? ;)

You are right, Princess does not have a semi-formal designation, they also don't have a casual designation, although you will find those terms used on here more often than not. That was not the point. The pants can be worn with an open necked shirt on a "smart casual" evening. But, to answer your question. No, it really doesn't make any difference to me if a child wears a shirt and tie and not a suit. I think it looks fine. How would you answer the question that has been asked on here before: would it ruin your cruise if I wore jeans to dinner?. I would answer it by asking: would it ruin your cruise to wear a suit to dinner like the other thousand or so people on this cruise. Formal attire is and has always been a part of cruising and although I really don't look forward to dressing up for formal nights, I do. I wear a dark suit, although Princess does not even specify a dark suit, and feel somewhat "undressed" at times on some cruises where the norm seems to be a tuxedo or dinner jacket. I am also aware, as I am sure most people are, of others whose idea of a dark suit is yellow or green polyester jacket that looks fine on the used car lot or the appliance store. I don't lose any sleep over that one either although I am sure there are cruisers out there who do. My point is that there is a stated dress code for dining on Princess and if you don't follow the guidelines then where do you draw the line? What is the difference between men NOT wearing " slacks with dinner jackets, tuxedos, or suits AND men or women wearing cutoff T-shirts, halter tops and torn jeans" ? There is nothing that I can find that says that you can't wear a T-shirt that isn't cutoff or that anyone, male or female even has to wear a top.

My son has always worn dress pants (khaki or navy) with a polo short with a sports jacket, or a shirt and tie with a sports jacket.

He has been on a lot of long cruises that are more formal (and on lines more "dressy" than Princess) and he has passed muster, and not taken away from the pleasure of others.

Personally, I dress to the nines. My DH wears a Tux and my girls love the excitment of formal night, so I am not one who sighs at the concept of doing it up. But it is VACATION. Lets not take this too seriously folks.

We arent taking about which scalpel to use for brain surgery !

BTW I will say that I do find it offensive when men wear tee shirts with logos that they could have bought in a storefront at Cozumel to dinner in the DR. I also do not appreciate seeing their hairy legs in shorts !!! Some of us want to enjoy our food.

What about footwear on non formal nights for same age group 16-17 year old boys/young adults???:confused:
Our boys wore black leather "walking" shoes...these look just fine with dark pants, and are useful for formal and informal nights as well as for land-based shore excursions. Considering that my 13yo wears size 13 shoes, the fewer pairs we need to pack, the better.

I am impressed by the parents who have written replies on this thread. All are tryiing to ensure that their children dress appropriately and are comfortable with themselves. I would bet that your children will not only follow the dress guidelines but will also be well-mannered. All of you need a pat on the back. It would be a pleasure to be in the dining room on formal night with your families whether the boys were in slacks/shirts/ties or tuxs.

I am impressed by the parents who have written replies on this thread. All are tryiing to ensure that their children dress appropriately and are comfortable with themselves. I would bet that your children will not only follow the dress guidelines but will also be well-mannered. All of you need a pat on the back. It would be a pleasure to be in the dining room on formal night with your families whether the boys were in slacks/shirts/ties or tuxs.

Agree... Kudos to the parents and to the kids...

It's not that I cannot afford to purchase a suit for my son, but I'm looking at the ROI on that investment.

I'm taking my son (BTW, this will be his third cruise) on this vacation for a number of reasons. He's getting an appreciation for the rest of the world. I'm enjoying the opportunity to spend precious time with a teenager who is still willing to be seen with his mother.

As noted, this is my son's third cruise. He has learned how to behave in nicer restaurants although he'd prefer to go to the all-you-can-eat pizza joint. He has had an opportunity to see parts of the world and participate in activities that I didn't do until I was married. Hopefully he has appreciated the opportunities and has grown from them. He may find that wearing nice dress pants and a dress shirt with a tie may not be enough for formal night. Next time he may request a suit. He'll learn more of what is "proper" than if I force him to wear a suit.

If you can afford the cruise you should be able to afford a suit for your children. A quick internet search found suits for even small children, sizes 4-7 for $70.00.

Anyone who would pay $70 for a suit for a 7 year old apparently has the budget of Bill Gates, or the sense of a turnip. Even if I had unlimited wealth, I would make sure I held on to it by spending it way more wisely than that!!

If I hadn't been able to find a gently worn suit on Ebay for my little boy, then he would have gone to dinner in slacks and a dress shirt, and I have a feeling the world would have kept turning.

For many, many of us, a cruise is a huge expensive thing -- we are able to do it because we save up and we cut $$ corners wherever we can. To say that we shouldn't cruise just because we can't -- or WON't -- shell out that much hard-earned money on something as trivial as a child's suit, is, well, pretty much the snottiest, snobbiest things I have heard in a long while.

-gina-

Just thought I would pass this along...

I was at Mervyns today and was just browsing for a few last minute things...I found a clearance rack in the boys section and found several nice (very nice) suits from the Holiday season. I picked up a drak brown and charcoal gray suit for each of my boys. I will let them choose which color to keep. Anyways...they were only $26.00....for the whole suit. Brand new. I love it!!!

So I guess that is what they will wear to the formal nights. Better than just the shirt and tie. I would never have thought I could find one for that price.

:)

Thanks to all those who responded to my question. I got exactly what I needed. I'm guessing that as I walk into the dining room with our 16year olds on formal night, I will see about 4 out of every 10 16year olds wearing nice slacks, shirt and tie. Another 40% will be wearing a jacket or suit and the remaining 20% will be in tuxedos and half of those will be giving dirty looks to those not wearing jackets. And what will our 16 year olds be wearing? I have no clue. I'll just make a copy of this thread and do what any self respecting male would do...turn the info over to their mothers and let them decide. Good cruising to you all. Thanks again.

Thanks to all those who responded to my question. I got exactly what I needed. I'm guessing that as I walk into the dining room with our 16year olds on formal night, I will see about 4 out of every 10 16year olds wearing nice slacks, shirt and tie. Another 40% will be wearing a jacket or suit and the remaining 20% will be in tuxedos and half of those will be giving dirty looks to those not wearing jackets. And what will our 16 year olds be wearing? I have no clue. I'll just make a copy of this thread and do what any self respecting male would do...turn the info over to their mothers and let them decide. Good cruising to you all. Thanks again.

As long as your boys are neatly and nicely dressed in at least dress pants with a shirt and tie they will fit in beautifully and you won't receive any dirty looks. Of course, the dirty looks you're referring to may be from those in that age group who are in tuxes and wish to God they weren't!

I loved the action item you noted above! Give the thread to the wife and let her decide. You've either been married a while or you truly understand the roles in a marriage. Enjoy your trip!

I had to buy a Tux to keep up with my son's events. He was in the SF Boys Chorus and then in his teen years went to "formal" Cotillions! My Tux Rentals bills were skyrocketing! But many teenagers (Boys and Girls) do enjoy dressing up more than they would care to admit! /Sultan

My views (based on experience) is different from some of the posters. To figure out what is acceptable, find out what is the current fashion for proms (look at the school year book). Also browse through Teen Magazines at bookstores. This fashion should determine what is acceptable for a Teen on a formal night and not the Princess Adult guidelines. Make it exciting for the teen to wear the "fashion" so that they get compliments on formal nights from their peers (and not from Grandpas and Granmas)! For example, in my experience, Ties came and went for Teens and the "Standard" jackets became gross! When you spend (a lot of) money this way, the clothes you buy will serve the Teen for many future parties. For performances (Opera and Symphony) the Boys Chorus had to wear formal formal clothes but for other formal parties it was alway the fashion. BTW, for Adults, I am a strict believer in cruise guidelines./Sultan

Thank you to all for your wonderful answers and helpful ideas. We were in the car today with our 16 year old soon to be 17 year old son He wanted to know if he still was able to wear a tux on formal night. I then asked him what kind of shoes he was wearing on the other nights. No problem with formal night just the semi casual ones. lol If this is all we have to worry about were sure are lucky. Remind me of this when we are packing the rest of his clothes;)

Archived