Health question

sjde

36 minutes ago, sjde said:

I am new to using a CPAP machine but there must be lots of us. Can you get distilled water onboard for the machine?

This was post by someone in another thread on the subject

"I have used my cpap on my last few cruises including the Royal which we just got off of in May. We contact Princess (and we were also on Celebrity) ahead of time and they supply the distilled water for free. When you board just see your room stewart and he will supply the extension cord and whatever you need. He then runs the cord and tapes it to the floor for safety. They have all been excellent on either of these cruise lines in looking after me."

50 minutes ago, sjde said:

I am new to using a CPAP machine but there must be lots of us. Can you get distilled water onboard for the machine?

Yes. You use the Web based Cruise Personalizer to order it.

See

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2859917-distilled-water-for-cpap-machines/?do=findComment&comment=63401450

Edited by brisalta

54 minutes ago, sjde said:

You can order distilled water in the Personalizer. It's kind of hidden with all the changes they've made.

Open your Personalizer

Click on the "bed request" (in mine it says "queen bed requested"

Where is says "Print Travel Summary", click on "Dietary Requests" - no kidding, who'da thunk?

There's a check box to order water for CPAP.

You didn't ask, but...I always recommend that you bring an extra mask cushion/pillows and don't forget to pack the power cord!!! There won't be any on the ship.

I used to work in an area of California that had lots of tourists and at least once a week someone would come in to my office to beg/borrow/buy supplies that they forgot to pack. Make a checklist and check it twice before you leave the house.

Also, if you forget to order the water or there isn't any available, just use tap water. The tap water on the ship is close (not exactly, but close) to distilled. The only reason you are instructed to use distilled is to prevent the mineral build-up from regular tap water. If you get any mineral build-up, just us 2 or 3 parts white vinegar to 1 part water and let soak for about an hour.

BTW: there's usually a 220 outlet behind the bed where the lamps are plugged in. You can get an adapter for this on Amazon (or elsewhere). You want one like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

Thank you.

FYI-I also use a sinus rinse occasionally but stopped using tapwater after a couple of people in Alabama died from a brain infection due to using tapwater and some amoeba being in it! 

So in a pinch with a cpap machine,  I think I’d use bottled or boiled water. 

36 minutes ago, rbtan said:

First off..Can everyone please get this straight: Room Steward, NOT Stewart!! Just ask your steward for distilled water. They will deliver it to your cabin.

Forgive me....I guess I should have proofed the persons post before cutting and pasting......That's why it was in quotation marks. 🤣

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

First off..Can everyone please get this straight: Room Steward, NOT Stewart!! Just ask your steward for distilled water. They will deliver it to your cabin.

I think you're missing the point... I'd be willing to bet that everybody here *knows* it's really the room/cabin *steward* that we're talking about.  Using "Stewart" is just having a play on the word(s).  

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I think you're missing the point... I'd be willing to bet that everybody here *knows* it's really the room/cabin *steward* that we're talking about.  Using "Stewart" is just having a play on the word(s).  

I just see it so much that it gets annoying. It also perpetuates the incorrect term to those who are new to the site.