Costa Maya Options with almost 3 year old?

jlacy1987

We are taking a cruise in December (12/18-12/23) on NCL Breakaway. Stopping in Costa Maya and Cozumel. I've been to both before but that was about 10 years ago and pre-kid. We will be going to Playa Mia in Cozumel so we don't have to do anything beach related in Costa Maya but I'm still coming up blank on ideas. My 14 year old stepson will also be with us and finding activities that will suit both a 14 year old and an almost 3 year old is difficult. I'd prefer to book directly through NCL since we have some short excursion credits available to us, but all I really see is through them is either the Beach Escape Beach Club or the Jeep Safari & Beach tour (we could bring our car seat with us since we are driving to the departure port). 

I'm not sure a ruins tour would entertain our toddler, although she is a great traveler and just loves going places and doing things. I'm sure my stepson would enjoy the ruins. But I'm also not sure if it's worth spending 2 hours on a bus round-trip while trying to keep our toddler entertained.

If all else fails, we might do the aviary at the port. 

I see recommendations for Maya Chan but other than kayaks, it looks like they are mostly a lounge around and swim in the ocean kind of place? 

4 hours ago, jlacy1987 said:

We are taking a cruise in December (12/18-12/23) on NCL Breakaway. Stopping in Costa Maya and Cozumel. I've been to both before but that was about 10 years ago and pre-kid. We will be going to Playa Mia in Cozumel so we don't have to do anything beach related in Costa Maya but I'm still coming up blank on ideas. My 14 year old stepson will also be with us and finding activities that will suit both a 14 year old and an almost 3 year old is difficult. I'd prefer to book directly through NCL since we have some short excursion credits available to us, but all I really see is through them is either the Beach Escape Beach Club or the Jeep Safari & Beach tour (we could bring our car seat with us since we are driving to the departure port). 

I'm not sure a ruins tour would entertain our toddler, although she is a great traveler and just loves going places and doing things. I'm sure my stepson would enjoy the ruins. But I'm also not sure if it's worth spending 2 hours on a bus round-trip while trying to keep our toddler entertained.

If all else fails, we might do the aviary at the port. 

I see recommendations for Maya Chan but other than kayaks, it looks like they are mostly a lounge around and swim in the ocean kind of place? 

We did ruins with my then 6 year old (who is not necessarily a go with the flow child, especially then). It was not a fun experience, especially for my wife. The problem was her getting hot and sweaty quickly, which you can’t avoid in the jungle. I would not recommend with a 3 year old unless they’re super easy going and adventurous. Even them still a long bus ride. 

I think the aviary at the port was really fun and I think would be perfect for you 3 year old and your 14 year will probably like more than they admit it. But that’s 30 minutes 😂. We’ve never done Mahahual or beaches there, so couldn’t say. Maybe 7 colors lagoon?

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Also keep an eye out for the return of the water park.  Not sure when but they keep hinting.

Theme Water Park in Mahahual - Mayá, Lost Mayan Kingdom (maya-park.com)

Yes that was actually my first choice cruise sponsored excursion but then I kept reading they were closed and someone said on here that they weren't going to open back up until 2023. But I will keep a watch out. 

12 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Also keep an eye out for the return of the water park.  Not sure when but they keep hinting.

Theme Water Park in Mahahual - Mayá, Lost Mayan Kingdom (maya-park.com)

9 hours ago, jlacy1987 said:

Yes that was actually my first choice cruise sponsored excursion but then I kept reading they were closed and someone said on here that they weren't going to open back up until 2023. But I will keep a watch out. 

This would have been my suggestion too, except you are already doing Play Mia.

For a budget day I would stay around the port aviary, pool, watch the dolphins and aerial show and eat lunch on the ship. If you want to taxi into Mahahual probably go to somewhere like Krazy Lobster to eat, drink, swim in calm water, play in the sand, kayak, beach bikes etc.

i haven’t read particularly good reviews of  Costa Maya ship beach breaks although there do seem to be two locations. I have no idea where a beach safari would go in Mahahual!

Edited by c-leg5

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

This would have been my suggestion too, except you are already doing Play Mia.

For a budget day I would stay around the port aviary, pool, watch the dolphins and aerial show and eat lunch on the ship. If you want to taxi into Mahahual probably go to somewhere like Krazy Lobster to eat, drink, swim in calm water, play in the sand, kayak, beach bikes etc.

i haven’t read particularly good reviews of  Costa Maya ship beach breaks although there do seem to be two locations. I have no idea where a beach safari would go in Mahahual!

That might be what we do. We are in port from 11am-7pm so we would get off, find lunch, then walk around and explore. Needing to be back on board by 5 or 6pm means we'll eat dinner on the ship which is fine. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

If you decide that you want a full day activity, I think Maya Chan might be worth a second look. I haven't been, but have a reservation in April and I've been researching extensively (reading posts, watching videos). It's a little further than the Mahahual, but not too far. The place looks beautiful and spread out. There are sand toys for the little one and clear bottom kayaks (not sure if toddler can go on a kayak? but would be fun for them to see under the water if they can) and lots of room to just run around. Floats for you if they want to just hang out in the water and splash. Paddle boats for a little ride. And each space has a hammock and a cushioned bed for an afternoon nap. Plus you don't have to worry about food & drinks with the AI price.