MSC Virtuosa Wheelchair/Tender Question

Nickymmm

Hello all,

We are looking at a 12 night Spain/Canaries cruise departing Southampton on 23 October.

Husband is a full time wheelchair user and we have found an accessible balcony room available on a Fantastica rate.

We would take a hoist onboard which we understnad would be fine in a reduced mobility cabin.

Ports are Lisbon, Funchal, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Arrecife Lanzarote and Vigo.  I can't seem to find anywhere which might tell me which ports may be tender only - I appeciate this may change.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar itinerary?  We know that whhelchair accessible tours are difficult to find and so we are happy to do our own thing if shuttle buses are available into the towns etc.

Any other accessible tips or knowledge from MSC cruisers would be welcome too!

Many thanks.

You need to talk to MSC or your travel agent as there is a "Special Assistance " form for things like this. To be honest the best thing is talk to them rather than ask the question on here, I had a quick look on an agent site and it says Funchal is a tender port but who knows. Also relying on port shuttles is risky in todays world as things change daily/weekly.

Sorry can't help further

You may find additional information within these pages. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

We've been to Funchal and Santa Cruz, neither were tender ports. I wouldn't imagine that Lisbon is either. I'd also look on cruisemapper.com to see if ships Dock at those ports, usually its just very small islands where it's required, Santorini, Grand Cayman etc. 

11 hours ago, Nickymmm said:

Hello all,

We are looking at a 12 night Spain/Canaries cruise departing Southampton on 23 October.

Husband is a full time wheelchair user and we have found an accessible balcony room available on a Fantastica rate.

We would take a hoist onboard which we understnad would be fine in a reduced mobility cabin.

Ports are Lisbon, Funchal, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Arrecife Lanzarote and Vigo.  I can't seem to find anywhere which might tell me which ports may be tender only - I appeciate this may change.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar itinerary?  We know that whhelchair accessible tours are difficult to find and so we are happy to do our own thing if shuttle buses are available into the towns etc.

Any other accessible tips or knowledge from MSC cruisers would be welcome too!

Many thanks.

There are no ports which require a tender.

From what I saw when we went in May people who had wheelchairs etc got on and off on a different deck that could be used for wheelchairs etc. However I advise to check directly with msc. 

There is a section on msc under special needs which gives more info but I would phone and double check with msc directly as they will need to know anyway but you know your situation better than anyone and what your husband can and can't do. Moving around the ship you will be fine.

Tours again they will say if they are wheelchair friendly but I guess that they are for people who can get on and off a coach unaided and the wheelchair goes in the boot. 

Regarding the ports and walking around they were all wheelchair friendly. (This is based on when we went and where the ship was docked as can't guarantee you the ship will dock in the same spot in the ports as ours did but gives you an idea)

Vigo the Ship is right there in the town and there are lots of coffee shops and shops etc that was the best in being the closest for walking anywhere.

Lanzarote (Arrecife) a good mile only and a bit, only half a day there but there is a few shops and coffee shops in the Marina bit you can walk too which is on the way into the town.

Funchal you can see the town but you have walk round the port a good 15mins depending how fast you walk. The town its self is lovely and worth the visit.

Gran Canaria a nice walk along the front and back. We didn't do much that day.

Tenerife and Lisbon we were on tours all day so not sure of the distance walking wise from ship into town.

It's a lovely cruise and well worth it.  but re getting on and off ship and the room speak MSC directly. 

Edited by Cruiseforever11
  • Like 1