Just booked the allure, I have a few questions?

OK, This will be my 3rd rcl cruise (allure 2017, symphony 2019 and now allure 2022 again).  In 2019, on the symphony, I remember some things, or maybe not, we had bands.... maybe?  and the app was mostly useful? But I thought back then it was a ship to ship marketable difference.  

So, does the allure use the bands for rooms and purchases or is it old school cards? or nfc from a phone?

Also, when cruising we/I usually get 1 wifi access, for me mainly, but often share it amoung the 4 of us when needed.  In past cruises, older to newer I carried my phone, originally for photos increasingly more so for wifi and more recently the app.  I cant rememeber back to 2017 on the allure, I think not, or even the symphony in 2019, if connecting to the wifi ( without internet access) you could message other members of your party.  Or if that was on our 2019 new years cruise on carnival or if I just have a mushy brain.  If chat works, how well? and is there a charge?

We will be going to Labedee, Aruba and curacao.  Labedee, has a very nice dock and a quick walk to the private festivities, but what is the docking situation at aruba and curacao? Is it freeport if docked or more like labedee?  or tendered?

TY in advance.

There is messaging on the app for 1.99 pp but not everyone is thrilled. There is no notice when the other person gets sent a message, he just has to be checking messages and see it.

Yes you can get wifi for 1 device and all 4 share it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, miyanc said:

OK, This will be my 3rd rcl cruise (allure 2017, symphony 2019 and now allure 2022 again).  In 2019, on the symphony, I remember some things, or maybe not, we had bands.... maybe?  and the app was mostly useful? But I thought back then it was a ship to ship marketable difference.  

We will be going to Labedee, Aruba and curacao.  Labedee, has a very nice dock and a quick walk to the private festivities, but what is the docking situation at aruba and curacao? Is it freeport if docked or more like labedee?  or tendered?

TY in advance.

Just got off the allure and docking in Curacao is right in town.  Just a short walk into town, I would say about 15-20 mins to the fort area.   Lots of nice tours.  I did the "Beauties of Curacao" tour which was really very good.

Aruba is also a docked port as well.

• Like 1

Also I know wave season is jan-marchish, and prices of onboard/pre-ordered items, can go up and down, but is there any other sale times? like maybe the 4th or labor day?

I vaguely remember seeing 1 of my royal cruises offer some steep discount on wifi/spa/coffee and just thought it was a drop and i could get it later, but then it went back up never to drop again and i want to say it was labor day sale.  

34 minutes ago, miyanc said:

Another few,

I am pretty sure its still Mama Mia, but what about all the other shows, any changed since 2017? Water, Ice and or other shows?

All the same.  And all still very good IMO.  

8 minutes ago, miyanc said:

yes, very good......but i was hoping after 5 years maybe something was changed.  ty

I’m guessing some of the entertainment would have changed  if Covid didn’t happen and Allure was amped like Oasis.  I know the Oasis aqua show is new and gets very good reviews.  

All the same, I really like the Allure aqua show and we don’t cruise so often that it is boring to me.  Same goes for the ice shows.  Folks doing things I could never do is always fun to watch.  Who doesn’t enjoy watching a person dive off a ridiculously high tower into a small pool or do crazy acrobatics on a trampoline?  The story is mostly irrelevant to me.  

Now the Broadway shows are different.  I’d prefer variety for those (if I chose to even go see one).  My wife said Mama Mia was fantastic and she has seen it before, including on Allure and in other venues. so at least it is being done well.   Same issue for comedy.  No desire to hear the recycling of jokes let alone the same person doing the same set twice.  We didn’t do any comedy shows on our last cruise.  No time when you have kids.  

Edited by topnole

Mama Mia must be a good show according to my wife. She talked me into buying a bottle of wine for a few cast members who were outside Vintages after their last performance in May before a new group took over. She wants to see it again when we sail on Allure in August. I liked it, but not as much as her I guess.... Starts out slow with lots of dialogue and my short attention span does not help. Never made it to the ice show on our 14 night b2b, but want to see it in August.

Make sure you check out the tapas in Vintages though. A huge platter that serves at least 3 to 4 people.  Well worth the $15 to $18 cost for both of us.  Took leftovers to our cabin. It was our specialty restaurant for  2 nights.

Edited by coaster

3 minutes ago, coaster said:

Mama Mia must be a good show according to my wife. She talked me into buying a bottle of wine for a few cast members who were outside Vintages after their last performance in May before a new group took over. She wants to see it again when we sail again on Allure in August. I liked it, but not as much as her I guess.... Starts out slow with lots of dialogue and my short attention span does not help. Never made it to the ice show on our 14 night b2b, but want to see it in August.

Make sure you check out the tapas in Vintages though. A huge platter that serves at least 3 to 4 people.  Well worth the $15 to $18 cost for both of us.  Took leftovers to our cabin. It was our specialty restaurant for  2 nights.

my wife liked it the first time, as well as all the other shows.  RCL, more specifically allure in 2017 ad symphony 2019, were by far the best we have seen.  including 2 ncl, 2 celebrity and 4 carnival.  it was nice that symphony and allure were different. 

Close to the action in both Aruba and Curacao. Did the exact things in Curacao in May like our first trip there a few years ago. Took a left after crossing the pontoon bridge and hit the farmer's market off the sidewalk. Bought some great sweet breads for a late breakfast. Went into the covered flea market area down from there. Right next to the flea market is a local cafe called Old Market where locals go. Multiple food establishments under one roof. Ate ox tail for the first time. Didn't eat the iguana stew like we did on our first visit there, but makes for a great story to tell others that we ate it. Lots of tiny bones......

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Where you using the UDP?  If so, any other suggestions for UDP on Allure? 

btw, booked an inside gambler yesterday and started my daily check of rates and today checked saw inside was down about 75$ total and checked balcony rooms and sure enough they dropped too.  Just upgraded from inside to balcony, still a gambler, for only a total of 500 and 51$ of that was the increase in TI.  sweet...