New Amex Offer - Check Your Cards

7 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

The Chase card gives you 3 points for every dollar—-no limit all the time

I hear you.  I have and use both the CSR & Amex Platinum.  If you want platinum benefits, you must use the Amex card. If there is an offer, than use the best card.  Both are very good players in the cruise/travel arena. 

2 hours ago, tannie said:

I have both cards. What are the platinum benefits AND do you know if you'll get them if you split the cost between the 2 cards? Thanks so much.

The Amex Platinum benefits are only valid if the total amount is charged to your Platinum card.  Best card I have found for Travel is the US Bank Altitude Connect card.  3 points per dollar for all travel including gas.  Redeem for cash credit which is usable against your cruise charges so in essence a 4% reduction on your cruise so a $50,000 cruise gives you $2,000 off on your total cruises.

And, since the Chase Preferred Cards include trip interruption and cancelation coverage I simply charge $100 to the Sapphire Card getting the 3 points per dollar and the rest to the US Bank Card.  Win Win.

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

The Amex Platinum benefits are only valid if the total amount is charged to your Platinum card.  Best card I have found for Travel is the US Bank Altitude Connect card.  3 points per dollar for all travel including gas.  Redeem for cash credit which is usable against your cruise charges so in essence a 4% reduction on your cruise so a $50,000 cruise gives you $2,000 off on your total cruises.

And, since the Chase Preferred Cards include trip interruption and cancelation coverage I simply charge $100 to the Sapphire Card getting the 3 points per dollar and the rest to the US Bank Card.  Win Win.

I believe charging $100 on your Chase card only gets you that amount of coverage- not the total cruise cost.

7 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

I believe charging $100 on your Chase card only gets you that amount of coverage- not the total cruise cost.

The terms and conditions say any payment gets you up to the max coverage from chase. Have communicated directly with the insurer and any amount charged is sufficient. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

The Amex Platinum benefits are only valid if the total amount is charged to your Platinum card. 

I agree.  And they are well worth it.  This upcoming cruise I received $300.00 OBC & (2) specialty dinners .  Worth it. Then for everything else hotel, transportation, everything on board, etc use the Chase card.  Best of both worlds...

9 hours ago, rallydave said:

The terms and conditions say any payment gets you up to the max coverage from chase. Have communicated directly with the insurer and any amount charged is sufficient. 

Actually reading the Chase Sapphire Preferred terms and conditions can be informative. 

Under " travel and emergency assistance services"  the T&C in bold print says: "travel and emergency assistance Services provide assistance and referral. You are responsible for the cost of the actual medical, legal, transportation, cash advance, or other services or goods provided."

Under " trip cancellation/ Interruption insurance" in the very first paragraph it makes clear your coverage is only for the amount you have charged to your Chase credit card. " the trip cancellation and trip Interruption benefit provides reimbursement for eligible travel expenses charged to the cardholder's account up to $10,000 per covered person..."

The operative words are charged to the card holders account. Chase would be out of business if you can pay $100 and get $10,000 worth of coverage. It's not even rational.