Portable fan: Carry on or checked bag?

I know Carnival recently stated that they could not guarantee they could provide a fan unless it is medically necessary. I usually get a fan but I want to take my own when we cruise again. I have searched but can't find the actual policy on the Carnival site but I was told by someone that the written policy states it must be in your carry on bag.

Is this correct?

Has anyone had one in their checked bag recently (since the new policy was released a few weeks ago)? 

I usually only carry on a backpack so I am not sure I can get a 10" portable fan in there. 

I always just toss my fan in my beach bag along with other sundry items - a few cans of Coke Zero, important meds, etc. They run it through the x-ray, usually want to look at the cans of soda, and send me on my way.

You may also want a drop cord depending on the ship you are sailing as the outlet locations are not always convenient.

I have put it in a checked bag in the past, typically one with our shoes and other random things. Probably from now on I'll put it in my carry on because the last cruise my extension cord was confiscated and I feel like having any bag with a cord/plug could potentially be searched.

Not only was my suitcase super late because it was searched, I had to wait in line for a long time on the last morning to get it back. From now on anything like that will go in a carry on bag.

• Like 1

To be on the safe side, you might want to pack it in your carry on. I’ve brought my small fan several times (in checked and in carry on), but earlier this year it was confiscated from my checked luggage at the New Orleans port. Not sure why, but customer service said it would have been fine in my carry on. I guess it’s all up to who is doing the security screening of the checked luggage