Is There a $50/pp Status Perk?

MsTabbyKats

If my memory serves correct....there was a $50/pp OBC for Gold(?) status.  Is that still true?

I have a cruise booked for April.  I used the "OBC Offer " to book and I booked a balcony.  My invoice shows a $100 OBC for me, plus and additional and separate $50 OBC for me and another $50 OBC for my husband.

The offer changed today...and when I did a mock booking the cost of my cabin went up a few dollars, but the summary gave me a $200 OBC.  If we are entitled to "status perks" the total should be $300.

I called MSC...spoke to 3 agents and got 3 confusing answers.

So...I ask here....is there such a thing as a $50 OBC Status Perk...or like everything else, is that gone (or possibly that I remember incorrectly)?

$50 OBC for all cruises for VC silver and above is still valid.

Mine also "disappeared" some weeks before the cruise started along with an unwanted change of cabin number - had my TA getting both back with no problem.

That used to be, but has been replaced by a new limitation: time of booking - VC silver and above now get $50 OBC for all bookings done more than 9 months before departure (which should be fulfilled with a booking for next april).

This is from https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club (should be applicable for @MsTabbyKats iirc):

SILVER MEMBERSHIP

2,200 to 4,299 Points

Voyagers Exclusives $50 Onboard Credit per person + Double Points on all bookings made more than 12 months before departure

Voyagers Exclusives $50 Onboard Credit per person on all bookings made 9 to12 months before departure

38 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@RudiRatlosThank you!

Time to cancel current booking and rebook (I tried to get the rep to "adjust"......but, it was like I was speaking another language).

That's a dangerous move, in my opinion.  It will take at least a couple of months to get your deposit back on the first booking.  Is it worth it for a few dollars would be my question?  You may end up worse off.... 

18 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

That's a dangerous move, in my opinion.  It will take at least a couple of months to get your deposit back on the first booking.  Is it worth it for a few dollars would be my question?  You may end up worse off.... 

As long as I cancel I can rebook.  They do take a while for the refund to be issued...but it does come.

I also want to change my cabin to a lower deck...so when you add in that the final amount would be a few hundred dollars less.

MSC....so frustrating to deal with!

5 hours ago, RudiRatlos said:

That used to be, but has been replaced by a new limitation: time of booking - VC silver and above now get $50 OBC for all bookings done more than 9 months before departure (which should be fulfilled with a booking for next april).

This is from https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club (should be applicable for @MsTabbyKats iirc):

SILVER MEMBERSHIP

2,200 to 4,299 Points

Voyagers Exclusives $50 Onboard Credit per person + Double Points on all bookings made more than 12 months before departure

Voyagers Exclusives $50 Onboard Credit per person on all bookings made 9 to12 months before departure

I remember seeing this now 🙄🙈 Doh! 

6 hours ago, RudiRatlos said:

Yes, MSC said something like "we have some good and some bad news for you" then: $50 OBC for all cruises, but no more VC selection cruises with more than 5% discount...

Well, the "very funny thing" is that I originally book this in March 2022...and because it was more than a year out, no $50 OBC. 

There was a price/promotion change, and nobody at MSC could figure out how to adjust the invoice, so it was easier to cancel and rebook...although the cabin I wanted was no longer available.  The replacement cabin was a bit more, 4 decks higher.  The invoice showed the $50/pp credit plus the new promotional credit. 

However,  the original cabin showed up in inventory, and nobody at MSC could figure out how to change the cabin.  I decided to leave it alone.  Now the promotion changed and the credit is double.  So, I'm gonna cancel "reservation #2"....go back to the first cabin I wanted, and get more OBC.

Ugh...if only the MSC reps could do their job!

12 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Ugh...if only the MSC reps could do their job!

I'm sorry, but YOU are the one who keeps changing your booking.  It is not their job to keep changing things because of changed promotions.  That's what they are - promotions.  In the T&C they will likely say that they are for new bookings ONLY.  Having the cruiseline jump through hoops to change things causes more churn in a system that is already flawed (MSC's IT dept, billing dept, etc).

Off my soapbox for now.  Yes, I get is a couple of hundred bucks, but most of us BOOK our cruise and don't look back.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@MorgsmomNow I don't want to sound snarky, but those "most of us" you think you speak for actually like to get the best value for our money.  Otherwise the deposit would be "non-refundable".

And if people keep doing such things which cost the business time, effort and money (booking, cancelling, re-booking the same cruise) pretty soon the deposit WILL BE non-refundable.  

19 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

And if people keep doing such things which cost the business time, effort and money (booking, cancelling, re-booking the same cruise) pretty soon the deposit WILL BE non-refundable.  

Indeed, as it has become with YC bookings already.  It could very well be extended to regular deposits.

44 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

As MSC is only refunding on the US market (as fast as I know), maybe there is a legal reason for this? 

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

If it were non-refundable, I'd book very close to the sailing date, pay the going rate, and not look back.  I don't follow MSC so closely, but with "other lines" the prices can go way down after final payment.

IMHO...the only benefit of booking early is that you remain flexible...except of course if you want a specific cabin.  This cruise...I want the same cabin (or cabin type) that I had in 2019, which is why I booked early.

If MSC isn't happy with people "adjusting"...then they should adjust their system.  Until I'm committed at final payment, I'll be doing what's best for me.