Port Help Required for Newbie

elimae

Hello everyone. Travelling on the Princess Regal on Sep 2nd  for 7 days. Starting Barcelona and Stopping at Gibraltar, Marseille, Genoa,Florence/Pisa(Livorno)

Looking for help from anyone who has been to these ports, I am travelling with my elderly In laws, I know some of these ports might be more industrial and need to travel to the towns of interest. 

Gibraltar - Is there a shuttle bus to the town? or do I need to book excursion? or is a taxi an option? 

Marseille - Any recommendation of excursions? In-laws can’t  do too long on busses. 

Genoa - Is there a shuttle? Excursions best?

Florence/Pisa. is it worth staying at Livorno? is it nice ?

Any information appreciated.  I have only cruised a few times, this is my in-laws first ever cruise and they are 82 and 78, they are both relatively fit, so just want to make it as enjoyable and easy as possible for them 😊 

You should also check out the Roll Call for your cruise, which actually starts Sept 3rd.  This will give you info on what passengers on your actual sailing are doing as far as excursions/transportation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, elimae said:

Hello everyone. Travelling on the Princess Regal on Sep 2nd  for 7 days. Starting Barcelona and Stopping at Gibraltar, Marseille, Genoa,Florence/Pisa(Livorno)

Looking for help from anyone who has been to these ports, I am travelling with my elderly In laws, I know some of these ports might be more industrial and need to travel to the towns of interest. 

Gibraltar - Is there a shuttle bus to the town? or do I need to book excursion? or is a taxi an option? 

Marseille - Any recommendation of excursions? In-laws can’t  do too long on busses. 

Any information appreciated.  I have only cruised a few times, this is my in-laws first ever cruise and they are 82 and 78, they are both relatively fit, so just want to make it as enjoyable and easy as possible for them 😊 

Also, check the website  whatsinport

and put in each of these ports.  Very helpful and basic info you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, check the website  whatsinport

and put in each of these ports.  Very helpful and basic info you need.

Great site thank you, that really helped 

3 hours ago, elimae said:

I think you mean Sept 3rd out of Barcelona.

3 hours ago, elimae said:

When we were in Genoa we took a taxi. He took us to portofino, San margerite, and three other towns. Cost about 40 euro per person , took about 5 hours. He drove us to a great place to have lunch and on the way back to the ship stopped at a grocery store so we could by wine!!!

In livorno we hired a driver for 8 hours, she was wonderful!! Went to livorno, pisa, Florence and a few other quick stops.

Gibraltar is a walkable  town.

Sorry didn't go to Marseille

Hope this helps some

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

When we were in Genoa we took a taxi. He took us to portofino, San margerite, and three other towns. Cost about 40 euro per person , took about 5 hours. He drove us to a great place to have lunch and on the way back to the ship stopped at a grocery store so we could by wine!!!

In livorno we hired a driver for 8 hours, she was wonderful!! Went to livorno, pisa, Florence and a few other quick stops.

Gibraltar is a walkable  town.

Sorry didn't go to Marseille

Hope this helps some

Thank you for information that’s a great help 

• Like 1

For information about ports not specific to any one cruise line, they have a section here dedicated to the ports:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/472-mediterranean-eastern-western/

They have a wider array of people available to help, since people visiting/have visited the same ports on other cruise lines are there.   A lot of the shore excursions are basically the same (only the cruise line you would book it through is different).

In Gibraltar, take a taxi to the top of the rock - monkeys are interesting/fun, and your elders will most likely enjoy seeing the war bunkers.  

Marseilles, we walked (long walk) but a bus or taxi is available to the Notre Dame de la Marseilles(?) (I've forgotten the official name).  It is a beautiful Romanesque cathedral and well worth visiting.  We could see the spire from the ship in port.

Barcelona, visit the Segrada de Familia.  There is a small park across the street for the elders to have a rest and refreshment while they view it from the outside.  Tours inside are available.

I would definitely do a visit to Florence and Pisa.  There is a lot of walking for a tour in Florence, but with some planning you can hit the highlights without as much walking.  Or opt for wheelchairs for the elders.  It would be a shame in my opinion not to visit these world famous places.

Definitely check out the Ports of Call boards on CruiseCritic.

Edited by GloriaF

Get a copy of Rick Steve’s’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  It is written for cruisers and he tells you what the ports are like, what there is to do and how to do it in the time you have.  EM

• Like 2