Mediterranean Excursions

mushkicrawford

Very excited for my first cruise of any kind October 3, 2022. I’m looking for some input on the port excursions. Are people generally booking/happy with the excursions provided by Cunard? I’m assuming a lot of the excursions are similar year to year. I’d love some advice/insight from all the more experienced travelers on this forum. 😊

1 minute ago, mushkicrawford said:

Ports are Toulon, Genoa, Rome, and Palma de Mallorca 

The advantages of taking Cunard's, or any other cruise line's, excusions are that somebody else does the planning and takes care of all the logistics.

Cunard's price are somewhat similiar to other lines, maybe a tad high.

Alternatives for the ports:

In Genoa you can start your own walking tour right at the pier. Everything is walkable. Even the train station is right there in case you want to see another town.

For Rome many passengers take the train in their own for a fraction of the price of the transportation only excursion. Yet, if you have never been and look for a well organized overview tour, the guided excursions might be good options.

• Thanks 1

Palma de Mallorca: The historic city centre with the cathedrale is a 45 Min walk or a just bus ride away from the pier.

Again: Easy to do on your own if you are willing to do a bit of research about what you would like to see before. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

On several visits to Rome, we've used https://www.discoveryguidedtours.com/index.php?l=about-us-  Friends have also used this company and it worked out great for them too.

They have limos and Merc Vianos which are ideal if there is 4-6 people. Smaller vehicles get around easier. 

Here, here. We have used them as well (once with Mr and Mrs Bigmac!). Really excellent tours that get right up close to where you want to go. And reasonably priced, especially if you can team up with another couple. Definitely recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

On Majorca, we had a very nice Cunard tour to a vineyard with lunch, which gave us just over half on hour in Palma on the way. Most enjoyable.

On reflection, we take very few tours, and the ones I invariably enjoy involve vineyards and lunch. As well as the obvious things, it usually means you get back to the ship in time for a siesta before sailaway.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mushkicrawford said:

Ports are Toulon, Genoa, Rome, and Palma de Mallorca 

Genoa is very easy to do by oneself.

Here's how I did it...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/13/one-way-to-do-genoa/

Indeed,  it was so good I added a second did review....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/18/one-way-to-do-genoa-via-balbi-last-minute/

242416250_CastellettoLevantePublicElevatorUpperentrance.thumb.jpg.a562361c2c7e5d670c3665ad6e480caf.jpg

420987819_LaLanterna2.thumb.jpg.e4dc12863d90ce2c0fd95baf7b1f581d.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We usually do a mixture of tours and our own thing. Have you joined your roll call? It can be useful if you can get a small group together.

I’ve tried to create a roll call (I think I did it correctly) but haven’t had any responses ☹️

16 minutes ago, mushkicrawford said:

I’ve tried to create a roll call (I think I did it correctly) but haven’t had any responses ☹️

I've corrected the date of it which might help, there's still time for people to join.

You've mentioned that this is your first cruise, is it your first trip to Europe ?

If you're a confident traveller then you can certainly get around independently but for example in Civitavecchia Cunard offers a variety of tours including just a transfer to Rome if you prefer some security.

38 minutes ago, mushkicrawford said:

I am on the cruise before yours and it took also some time before fellow guests started to respond. Thus remain optimistic!

• Like 1

We have been to Europe a few times so I don’t worry about touring on my own or arranging my own tour, however the time constraints of having to be back at a certain time to the ship makes me a bit nervous and therefore leaning towards the Cunard excursions. I generally would prefer to do it myself. I think the Rome stop is the most “worrisome” given the distance from the port.

• Like 1

I`m on your cruise and have booked two cunard excursions,Rome on your own and Paradise Gulf.

Did think about going independantly to Rome but i`d probably catch the wrong train back so opted for the coach journey and the other one is the  Paradise Gulf for the Boat trip.I`m not to keen on the guided tour part of it as some that i have seen walk at quite a pace whereas me and my partner like to stroll.

Never been to Toulon so have yet to decide on that one but i`m sure Palma is quite accessible from its port and from what i can remember from 20yrs ago its quite a nice town.Lets hope its not changed..

i`m sure you`ll do fine and have a great time.

• Like 1

" I highly recommend taking a car/coach into Rome and pre-book the return. It can be quite a journey due to traffic leaving Rome. Enjoy a gelato or two."

Personally,  based on your comment, I would worry about missing the ship after visiting Rome this way.

As Mushki said "however the time constraints of having to be back at a certain time to the ship makes me a bit nervous and therefore leaning towards the Cunard excursions."

Edited by bbtablet
addition
  • Thanks 1

Why not to take a Cunard excursion

A few years ago, we used our usual tour company (see above) who are great.

We left long after the official tours, but still passed them on our way in.

When we got to Rome, our driver explained that there was yet another strike/demonstration going on that day and it may affect us.

It did.

As we approached the Colisseum, there was a massive traffic jam. Gilberto asked us if it was okay to reverse our itinerary and we agreed. We then scooted down the back streets and managed to see everything that we wanted.

Unfortunately for those on the official tours, they did not have the option of reversing their itinerary and had to spend a few hours sitting in a traffic jam and never saw half of what was expected.

We also had the ability to alter the times at each point and spend as long as we liked at lunch.

All very civilised, and for not much more than an official trip.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bbtablet A reputable car service allows for traffic, and thanks to google maps with traffic monitoring, I doubt it happens very often. I would rather be in a comfortable SUV, than on a bus any day and I ditto @BigMac1953 regarding getting around Rome. A little Mercedes can get down the tight little streets when they need to, and I’ve had bad experiences with Taxi’s in Rome, they like to take the long way around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, techteach said:

@bbtablet A reputable car service allows for traffic, and thanks to google maps with traffic monitoring, I doubt it happens very often. I would rather be in a comfortable SUV, than on a bus any day and I ditto @BigMac1953 regarding getting around Rome. A little Mercedes can get down the tight little streets when they need to, and I’ve had bad experiences with Taxi’s in Rome, they like to take the long way around.

For those who are averse to ship's excursions and 'expensive' private tours here is a pretty definitive way to get to Rome from Civitavecchia ....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/05/15/one-way-to-do-rome/

392488357_FontanadellaBarcacciaandSpanishSteps.thumb.jpg.44e89c38c0842e3517f691edcf88e723.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1