Paella near Placa Catalunya Barcelona

We'll be in Barcelona before and after two different cruises in the next 10 months...staying at the H10 Catalunya Plaza--right on the Placa Catalunya.  I'm looking for a good place to have a nice paella dinner nearby.  Reasonably priced, casual.  We will be dressed very casual as we're not packing anything too dressy.

In the past, we've eaten paella at Nuria, right on the Placa--but it's fairly touristy and nothing too special.  Thinking of walking a few blocks to Micu Maku as they seem to have good reviews.  Anyone have any other suggestions/recommendations in the area?  Thanks....

Darn good question.  DW and I have been to Barcelona about 2 dozen times (maybe more) and have never found what we consider to be excellent Paella.  If anyone knows of such a place I hope they post the secret :).  It is interesting that when one looks at many of the restaurant rating sites there are few Spanish restaurants in the top 20.  Go figure.  By the way, the best Paella we have ever had was from a beach vendor (who made the Paella in a huge pan over a fire) in Nerja.  I guess most would say that Valencia or Alicante is where to find really good paella.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Darn good question.  DW and I have been to Barcelona about 2 dozen times (maybe more) and have never found what we consider to be excellent Paella.  If anyone knows of such a place I hope they post the secret :).  It is interesting that when one looks at many of the restaurant rating sites there are few Spanish restaurants in the top 20.  Go figure.  By the way, the best Paella we have ever had was from a beach vendor (who made the Paella in a huge pan over a fire) in Nerja.  I guess most would say that Valencia or Alicante is where to find really good paella.

Hank

Yeah, Hank, Valencia is the home of Paella...and we'll be there this cruise...but leave before dinner...I once had a really good Paella in Madrid.  And I once had a good one in St. Raphael, France of all places.  There used to be a really good Spanish restaurant in West Hollywood that made killer Paella...but I think it closed down about 25 years ago...If one can get good Paella in France or Los Angeles, you'd think you could find it in Barcelona!

Edited by Bruin Steve

I am not a gourmet but the paella across the street from Parc Guell was very good. Also, there were several restaurants on the Passeig de Gracia between Placa Catalunya and Battlo that had good paella.  Sorry, don't remember the name.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to this, Bruin Steve, but I just now found the name of one restaurant that we really enjoyed on Rambla Catalunya. It's Pura Brasa, just down from Placa Catalunya. We did not try their paella but they have an interesting take on it: "Charcoal Cooked Paella" with what looks like 3 different versions. Might be worth a try.

Pura Brasa is very casual and we had a wonderful waitress both times that we dined there. I think the best thing on their menu is the sea bass. If the paella is half as good, it should be outstanding.

There is another Pura Brasa in Barcelona but it's in the Arenas bullring. Same company but not the restaurant I'm talking about.

Don't let the few bad reviews on a certain website that I won't name scare you away. We ate at Pura last March and had no complaints about service or food. My only complaint now is that we never went back to try their delicious-looking desserts. We never had any room for them after our meals!