Any tours from Rome airport that include baggage handling and transport to Civitavecchia?

SWACK

We're flying into FCO and sailing out of Civitavecchia the next day, would like a tour that picks us and our luggage up, and drops us off at the port. Anyone  know of anything like this?

You "ain't" in Barcelona!  I cannot help you with a tour (we consider most tours a 4 letter word) but can certainly help you and offer advice on how to manage on your own.  But understand that just the transfer between FCO and the port (about a 1 hour drive) is going to cost you at least 100 Euros.  And you will also need to pay for a hotel and meals.   Your least expensive option would be to simply book a hotel either near FCO or in Civitavecchia and book the transfers (or use a taxi).  If your flight gets into FCO pretty early in the day and you want to spend the remainder of that day in Rome the cost is going to be somewhat higher.   You can also check with your cruise line to see if they offer any kind of pre-cruise tour/hotel but most cruise lines charge a real premium for pre/post cruise tours w hotels.  If money is not much of an object you can arrange just about any kind of tour/hotel option through a decent local tour company such as Romeinlimo or Romecabs (both of these companies have websites and an excellent reputation.

Your lowest cost option is probably going to be using some kind of transfer (the day of your arrival at FCO) to Civitavecchia where you spend the pre-cruise night in a hotel of your choosing.  We are not big fans of spending a night in Civitavecchia or of their hotels, but it is an option.  Civitavecchia does have its share of restaurants and anywhere in town is a short taxi ride to the port (some hotels might even provide that transfer).  There is not much to do in Civitavecchia other than to walk along the sea (there is a nice promanade) of just walk around this unimpressive town.  

Going to Rome for what is left of the day is going to cost more money depending on where you stay and how you do the transfers.  If you can handle your own luggage, there is direct train transportation (Leonardo Express) from FCO into Rome.  You would than need a taxi from the train station to your chosen hotel and a transfer to Civitavecchia (Port) the day of your cruise.  The advantage of this idea is that you will get some time in Rome.  A private car transfer from Rome to the Port is likely to cost you about 140 Euros (you might be able to find something slightly less expensive).  

A few other thoughts.  If you rule out going to Rome and want to find some other kind of part day tour there are a couple of options.  If you do decide to stay in Civitavecchia you might want to visit Tarquinia which has some Etruscan Tombs and related sites.  I am not a big fan of this place but some really enjoy the experience.   If you were to stay somewhere near FCO, you could arrange to visit the nearby ruins of Ostia Antica.  These ruins are quite impressive and are worthy of a 2-3 hour visit if you are the type that enjoys walking through extensive ruins.

I hope this post helps sort out some of your options.  I will be very honest in saying that we generally advise folks to fly-in several days early and spend their time in Rome (a fantastic city for most tourists).  Coming in one day early really does limit one's options because of the logistics and short amount of time.

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SWACK said:

Yea, theirs is 450 euros for 2.. I'm getting the same thing in Barcelona for 79 each..

As Hank as pointed out, apples and oranges, mostly due to distances and directions. Its mostly a straight and pretty short line from Barcelona airport through Barcelona to the port. FCO-Rome-Civi is a triangle, with the airport, the city and the port being the 3 points of the triangle, with the airport/city leg being the shortest at around 30 or so minutes driving, the other two legs are 60-80 minutes driving.

The least expensive route to Civitavecchia from Rome is the public bus, 1,50 euro for the metro to the bus depot, plus bus ticket of under 5 euro.   This is a small bit of walking from the bus stop to the port shuttle stop to get to your ship.

Just slightly more expensive is the train, 1,50 euro to the train station in Rome, 4,60 euro train fare, 3 euro bus from train station to port.  Little walking with this option.

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The least expensive route to Civitavecchia from Rome is the public bus, 1,50 euro for the metro to the bus depot, plus bus ticket of under 5 euro.   This is a small bit of walking from the bus stop to the port shuttle stop to get to your ship.

Just slightly more expensive is the train, 1,50 euro to the train station in Rome, 4,60 euro train fare, 3 euro bus from train station to port.  Little walking with this option.

LOL Euro.  Have been doing the Rome-Civ thing for over 40 years and this is the first time I have seen or heard the idea of using the public bus.  You get bonus points for finding and posting this option.  Am wondering if they have luggage limitations on that bus?  Is it an express bus or one of those puddle hoppers that takes forever?

Hank

Another option that I just came across is the Sit Bus Shuttle, from Termini to the port.  It drops off at the port shuttle bus station, so you'd need to transfer your luggage from one bus to the other, but it's easier than the train and you're guaranteed a seat.  It's also three times the cost, but still pretty inexpensive at 15 euro.

Sit Bus Shuttle, servizio bus navetta tra Roma e aeroporti

Thank you for all the replies. It doesn’t appear the kind of large bus we are looking for that goes from downtown Rome to the port of Civitevecchia currently exists. I know they are all over the place when you get off the cruise ship as we have taken one in the past. I must point out the reason we are looking for a simple bus ride is we have done the train to Civitevecchia a number of times and my wife now refuses to go up and down the stupid stairs at the Civitevecchia train station with our luggage given our age.

I looked at the Sit Bus Shuttle and it appears it only goes from Civitevecchia to Rome. 

Another suggestion mentioned a bus from the Termini Station in Rome but that doesn’t appear to go to Civitevecchia. From what I can see it only goes to Fiumicino which is considerably south of Civitevecchia. 

We have never tried a ride share in a shuttle van and may opt for that solution or we may have to get a van for ourselves. Another option is Celebrity Cruises offers a 5 hour tour of Rome then a drive to the Civitevecchia cruise port. It’s not cheap and it covers pretty much everything we have already seen but it looks like what we will probably do unless we find a better option. 

p.s.  The public bus is a non starter.