advice for flight to cruise from us to vancouver

lindacat

I am helping my niece book a flight for her honeymoon.  I thought it was all set but the flights have changed.  I have two options and am unsure which I should select.

They are flying the day after the wedding/day before cruise on 9/17.

The choices are a delta flight operated by westjet leaving at 5:15 pm from Boston connecting in Toronto (7035/7261) with a 2 1/2 hour connection.

or a flight Delta 318/3809 through Seattle. This also leaves at 5pm from Boston. They both arrive in Vancover around midnight.  The Westjet operated flight arrives at 12:30 the Seattle flight arrives at 12:00

My future nephew in law is a big kid and I paid for first class tickets as their wedding gift. I am looking for advice as to which flight would be more comfortable for them, and which will be less confusing, and easier to navigate.  Neither one has travelled very much and this will be their first international flight. Is it easier to go through customs/immigration in Toronto or Vancouver.?

As they are flying the day after the wedding they were looking for a flight that left later in the day.

I am leaning toward the flight to Seattle, only because if something happens to the connecting flight they are close enough that they could drive to the port.

Do any experienced flyers have any suggestions.

I don't know anything about Westjet, but I suspect Delta's front of the plane will be acceptable.

Going through airports is difficult anywhere now, so I doubt there will be much difference where they go through Immigration and Customs.

Both long segments will be on narrow-body aircraft, so don't get the hopes too high on "first class".  One thing to consider is that "first" on Westjet is the same seat as in coach, in a 3-3 config, but with the middle blocked off and a bit more legroom.  On DL, you would get a wider seat in a 2-2 config.

I would also go with the SEA connection - the connect would be domestic to domestic with I&C at the end of the trip.  Also, the segment in F would be longer, so more comfort overall.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 5:07 AM, lindacat said:

Thank you for your advice,  I switched to the SEA connection

SEA is better: Toronto is a big mess witj cancellations and lost luggage.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:06 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Both long segments will be on narrow-body aircraft, so don't get the hopes too high on "first class".  One thing to consider is that "first" on Westjet is the same seat as in coach, in a 3-3 config, but with the middle blocked off and a bit more legroom.  On DL, you would get a wider seat in a 2-2 config.

I would also go with the SEA connection - the connect would be domestic to domestic with I&C at the end of the trip.  Also, the segment in F would be longer, so more comfort overall.

WestJet has installed business class 2x2 seats on their 737 and 787 aircraft.  Before COVID the still had a few 3x3 with the blocked middle.  However those have all be replaced.

I do agree having customs at the end instead of doing it in the middle is an improvement.  

Edited by em-sk

11 hours ago, em-sk said:

WestJet has installed business class 2x2 seats on their 737 and 787 aircraft.  Before COVID the still had a few 3x3 with the blocked middle.  However those have all be replaced.

Thanks for the update.  My experience had been with the "euro-style" blocked middle.  Nice to hear about the upgrade to the seating.  Mental data file updated.

• Like 1