IS seven days too long?

My wife and I are going on the Mariner in may, but talking to people, some say that seven days is just simply too long. We are taking my wife's parents and her dad gets pretty "antsy", if you will. Now, I find it hard to believe that sailing on a boat the size of the Mariner, that you can get bored. Do you think any of us can POSSIBLY get bored and want the vacation to end?

Thanks a bunch. :cool:

Oh my God no.... I think 7 days is too short!! I went on a 10 day on Jewel last fall, and except for missing my daughter who was 13 months old and stayed with Grammy I would have gladly stayed another 10 days :) I have been on 2 other Voyager class ships, will sail on my third in May and if you get bored its your own fault. Now granted if you want to sit by the pool drinking pina coladas all week you certainly can, but there is ALWAYS something to do.... or watch if you don't want to participate. I don't who is telling you 7 days is too long.....have they even been on a cruise??

Jen

Adventure of the Seas…. 67 days!

Jewel of the Seas September 2005

Explorer of the Seas January 2004

Voyager of the Seas October 2002

Monarch of the Seas July 1994

7 days is not too long at all. They will not be bored on the Mariner. There are all kinds of activities going on there. We just got off the Mariner on Sunday and we didn't even get around to everything, so we booked the same week for next year! ; ) There are art auctions, bingo, all kinds of things like that that aren't physically strenuous. Enjoy! I wish I was still there! ; )

I agree with everyone. 7 days is NOT too long; I would love to be able to go on a 10 day or longer cruise! There is something for everyone to do, or NOTHING if you so wish. I agree that whomever THEY are that are telling you this have probably never been on a cruise.

Do not worry! You will all have a fabulous time!

7 nights too long:eek: ????? I don't think so:D ...Been on the Mariner 2 times now and loved each time, there is so much to do and see you will never be bored. Have done 5, 10 and 7 nt cruises and never have been bored. Going on our first 4 night cruise in May and know that it won't be long enough, but it will make us Platinum status for our November cruise on the Radiance. Jill:cool:

7 Nights is not too long. It takes a day or two just to get the layout of the ship. Make sure you get the daily Compass and go over it with Dad. That way you could point out all the acitivites, times, and locations. That way he can't say there wasn't anything to do. Our first cruise was a real learning experience. On a second cruise we were more knowledgeable and ready to try more things. We really checked the Compass each night and made a point to do whatever interested us. It's a great oppertunity to try something new. If he likes the computer let him browse through the excursion site and the show him the port of call site on Cruise Critic. I think he might surprise everyone and book a future cruise while onboard. Have a good time

Just got off an 11 nighter and it went by like a blink of the eye. Got two 7 nighters booked but have land time with them to make them longer.

I'm also looking at a 12 night Baltic combined with the repositioning after it that would keep us on the same ship for 29 days. That one I might be ready to get off at the end.

My wife and I are going on the Mariner in may, but talking to people, some say that seven days is just simply too long. We are taking my wife's parents and her dad gets pretty "antsy", if you will. Now, I find it hard to believe that sailing on a boat the size of the Mariner, that you can get bored. Do you think any of us can POSSIBLY get bored and want the vacation to end?

It depends. Most people on these boards love to cruise. Not everyone feels this way. I have friends who hate cruises & do feel trapped & bored. What does your f-i-l enjoy? Are there things on the ship that he likes to do? If not, he may not enjoy himself.

Personally I hate sea days & I would be bored out of my skull on a transatlantic cruise. I would also feel very trapped.

7 days is only too long if you really don't enjoy cruising. On a ship like the Explorer, there should be more than enough activities to keep you occupied for a week or more. Most of the people on here are veteran cruisers, and many enjoy days at sea (relaxing)more than days in port (busy). I have yet to find a cruise length that was too long. There are no guarantees but if you and your family go over the material in the brochures and read the various threads on this board, you should get a decent idea of what a seven day cruise offers and be able to judge whether or not it is to your liking. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised. However, if you have serious concerns about a seven day cruise, you might want to look into one of three or four days before booking something longer.:)

It really depends on what you like to do. It's true that there are a lot of activities onboard ships, but if you're not into bingo, art auctions, working out, eating, cooking/dancing/napkin folding lessons, gambling or shows, you might be bored to death on a cruise with a lot of sea days. If the cruise has a couple of sea days and a lot of ports, then you might enjoy relaxing on the sea days and getting out to explore the new ports.

7 nights is the longest cruise we've taken, but we're doing 9 in the spring and 14 on a B2B in the fall. Neither cruise has a lot of consecutive sea days, which would be my big concern. I guess I'll have to do a Transatlantic crossing just to see how I like it!:D

Seven days is too long to spend in prison, but just about right for a cruise. If it weren't for the three children and a house full of pets we leave in the care, custody, and control of the grand-parents, the wife and I would love to stretch it to ten days. I think your f-i-l will find plenty of things to keep his interest and attention. Enjoy

If Dad gets too ansy, just tell him to walk every inch of the ship and report at dinner what interesting things he found. First thing to have him try to find is the helecopter pad. I wish I'd looked for it on our cruise, but we ran out of time.

We've only cruised once and it was for 7 days. It wasn't long enough for me. We are looking at an 8 day for next January. My problem is lack of sleep runs me down. Next cruise I'm going to try to just relax for an hour or two a day.

I can't get them long enough! I wouldn't even bother with 7 nights now that the flying is such a bother. The longer the better. We've got a 14 nighter coming up in May. After better than 7 months total at sea, over the years, I can honestly say I've never been bored one minute. My husband is also an antsy one and he has never once complained.

Archived