Ship time changing during cruise

5 minutes ago, TheSeagoer said:

Wow. So what's the point of the ship telling you change your watch at every new time zone if their time is different?

Where does it say that? Source please. 

8 minutes ago, TheSeagoer said:

Wow. So what's the point of the ship telling you change your watch at every new time zone if their time is different?

What we have here is a break down in communication.

Ship time is not obligated to change when the ship crosses time zone boundaries. Ship time is at the discretion of the captain. Many times the captain opts to keep the ship on the home port's time even if the ports of call would be an hour ahead or behind.

If you change your watch to local time and the ship stays on home port time, you may just see the ship sailing away from the pier. It's always a breathtaking sight, especially when you were supposed to be on the ship!

Edited by mz-s
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Ship time is not obligated to change when the ship crosses time zone boundaries. Ship time is at the discretion of the captain. Many times the captain opts to keep the ship on the home port's time even if the ports of call would be an hour ahead or behind.

If you change your watch to local time and the ship stays on home port time, you may just see the ship sailing away from the pier. It's always a breathtaking sight, especially when you were supposed to be on the ship!

Wrong

29 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Most ships adhere to the time zone they are in and clocks are set forward or back to adhere to local time. Passengers are also advised to change their watches to the 'correct' time—there is usually a reminder card on your pillow before you go to bed. However, not all ships do that, particularly in the Caribbean!Feb 

Just keep an eye on your phone, if you get on local wireless in a different time zone,

it will switch, and when ship time does not change, but your phone does,

you will be in trouble.

This happened to us a few weeks ago - as well as everyone who connected to wireless service...

and our phones would not switch back - everyone who this happened to.

Folks were so mad they missed activities, dining, etc...

The CD had to make several announcements to ask folks to switch back on their phones. LOL!

I was able to, but my wife's phone would not let her change time zones until we got back to

US cell service. Yikes!

41 minutes ago, d-train said:

Just keep an eye on your phone, if you get on local wireless in a different time zone,

it will switch, and when ship time does not change, but your phone does,

you will be in trouble.

This happened to us a few weeks ago - as well as everyone who connected to wireless service...

and our phones would not switch back - everyone who this happened to.

Folks were so mad they missed activities, dining, etc...

The CD had to make several announcements to ask folks to switch back on their phones. LOL!

I was able to, but my wife's phone would not let her change time zones until we got back to

US cell service. Yikes!

It's why I still wear a regular old watch on every cruise I go on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1