Do men have to wear a sports coat on Formal nights?

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find the answer on a search.

We, meaning my DW and I, and our son, his DW and their daughter, are going on an awesome 20 day Med cruise on the Sojourn next July, and we have no desire to wear a sports coat in the MDR on Formal night. My questions are these:

1. Is it mandatory, not just recommended, for men to wear at least a sport coat on Formal night in the MDR? I know from past experience on Crystal cruises, before their demise, men had to at least wear a sport coat on Formal night. Period.

2. If it is mandatory, are there other restaurants on the Sojourn (or other similar ships) other than the buffet where an additional fee is not required to eat a quality dinner on Formal night?

I would eat at Earth and Ocean or the Collonade if you want to dress down on formal night.

A jacket is required in the MDR on formal evenings.

I would just abide by the dress code rather than trying to make your own.

Casual,smart casual,formal are all there just on different nights and different venues.

Something for everyone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Luxury said:

I would eat at Earth and Ocean or the Collonade if you want to dress down on formal night.

A jacket is required in the MDR on formal evenings.

I would just abide by the dress code rather than trying to make your own.

Casual,smart casual,formal are all there just on different nights and different venues.

Something for everyone.

Thanks. I agree as we definitely don’t want to cause a stir. As this will be our first Seabourn cruise, but we have sailed over 50 cruises on other lines, I just wanted to make sure we know what the rules were. Must be my 20 years in the USAF as an enlisted guy with all those rules we had to follow. 😁

Do they have tasty food in the evening up at the Collonade? 

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. I agree as we definitely don’t want to cause a stir. As this will be our first Seabourn cruise, but we have sailed over 50 cruises on other lines, I just wanted to make sure we know what the rules were. Must be my 20 years in the USAF as an enlisted guy with all those rules we had to follow. 😁

Do they have tasty food in the evening up at the Collonade? 

I am ex military but still obey the rules 😀

You'll have no trouble getting good tasty food at any venue.

Earth and Ocean out on deck is a firm favourite with many.

The Collonade has themed nights also.

Indian curry nights get booked up early.

You can also eat in or out at that venue 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I am ex military but still obey the rules 😀

You'll have no trouble getting good tasty food at any venue.

Earth and Ocean out on deck is a firm favourite with many.

The Collonade has themed nights also.

Indian curry nights get booked up early.

You can also eat in or out at that venue 

That’s why I need to know the “rules” rather than guidelines. Remember, I was enlisted who of course are known to be sly and devious and bare considerable watching. 😂

An issue my DW has is that she needs to eat early for health reasons. Does the Colonnade open up in the evening before 7 pm?

31 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

That's what other lines charge to eat in some restaurants for an all inclusive experience.

Indeed. I though SB had introduced a fee when OP mentioned it!

Formal night jacket requirement:

The Restaurant

Formal night no jacket needed:

Room Service (where I think you can still get the restaurant menu, even on a formal night)

Earth and Ocean

TK Grill

Colonnade (which is not usually a buffet in the evening).

No additional fee in ANY dining venue.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Indeed. I though SB had introduced a fee when OP mentioned it!

No. I just wasn’t sure how the specialty dining worked after our initial complimentary visit to the TK Grill went. But if the food is that tasty in the MDR as we’re hearing, we probably will continue to eat there. 

Also talked with our son today, who is 41, and he’s good with wearing a sport coat on the two formal nights on our cruise. So, thank you all for your insights. We really do just want to blend in while experiencing all that Seabourn has to offer, as we are looking for a new go-to luxury cruise line to treat ourselves every once n awhile when they have a new exotic itinerary gets released.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No. I just wasn’t sure how the specialty dining worked after our initial complimentary visit to the TK Grill went. But if the food is that tasty in the MDR as we’re hearing, we probably will continue to eat there. 

Also talked with our son today, who is 41, and he’s good with wearing a sport coat on the two formal nights on our cruise. So, thank you all for your insights. We really do just want to blend in while experiencing all that Seabourn has to offer, as we are looking for a new go-to luxury cruise line to treat ourselves every once n awhile when they have a new exotic itinerary gets released.

No problem.No extra fee for any of the dining venues as Mr Luxury said. I haven't been on Seabourn since January 2020 so I wondered if there had been a change when I saw your comment!

I hope that you all have a wonderful first Seabourn cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You can book TK once before boarding, and you can book additional times once on board. However, you can book a table for 5 for one day and your son can book a table for 5 on a different day before boarding. Then you can both book additional times while on board.

No charge ever.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

We really enjoyed the Chef’s Special Dinner at Sushi on formal night.  It didn’t require a jacket.  My husband, who would rank sushi last when given on option, really enjoyed the variety and presentation of the dinner. Also Earth & Ocean, are good options if you want to avoid a jacket. 

• Thanks 1