How the onboard transaction takes place when one has a drink package !

machotspur

We are shortly to be cruising with Oceania – our first for many years – having sailed extensively with the likes of Silversea, Seabourn etc. We do of course need to learn how things work onboard an Oceania ship.

One notable issue is the drinks packages. I have of course read many of the 100’s of posts on this very subject – which has been useful thank you – but there is one aspect I haven’t been able to find .

How does the transaction take place when ordering drinks in bars & restaurants, when one has signed up for the Prestige Select+ package ?

In particular how does it work when having a meal. Does one have to order and transact every time one wishes for a wine top up ? Or does the server 'register' that you have a package at the time of the first drink and thereafter pours wine without further interaction ? 

And are the transactions through the guest holding a card that is swiped/touched in by the server/bar ? And is it paper less ? 

I know this may come across as a bit of minutae but a key reason for us choosing the package is for convenience, so this whole transaction thing is quite important for us.

My thanks in advance for anyone who can put me straight on this !   

2 hours ago, machotspur said:

We are shortly to be cruising with Oceania – our first for many years – having sailed extensively with the likes of Silversea, Seabourn etc. We do of course need to learn how things work onboard an Oceania ship.

One notable issue is the drinks packages. I have of course read many of the 100’s of posts on this very subject – which has been useful thank you – but there is one aspect I haven’t been able to find .

How does the transaction take place when ordering drinks in bars & restaurants, when one has signed up for the Prestige Select+ package ?

In particular how does it work when having a meal. Does one have to order and transact every time one wishes for a wine top up ? Or does the server 'register' that you have a package at the time of the first drink and thereafter pours wine without further interaction ? 

And are the transactions through the guest holding a card that is swiped/touched in by the server/bar ? And is it paper less ? 

I know this may come across as a bit of minutae but a key reason for us choosing the package is for convenience, so this whole transaction thing is quite important for us.

My thanks in advance for anyone who can put me straight on this !   

I have been on three cruises with Oceania and always get the prestige package. I just got off the insignia yesterday and all you have to do is give your room card. There is no paper transaction. They just take it to the bar and swipe it or if you were at the end of a meal, they take it then. Sometimes depending on the waiter you needed to give both cards if there are two of you or sometimes just one. It is a very easy process because you are carrying that with you all the time anyway. They do not take it for each time you get another drink or another glass of wine. It is only one time! Supposedly tips are included with the prestige package, but I honestly took a bunch of small money and tipped them from time to time! They work very long hard hours and we felt good doing that! Also, if you had the package that is included and you want to upgrade, you do that when you first get on board and then you have to go to reception and get a new room card. 

Edited by Misssmb
Forgot to answer something
  • Thanks 1

Just  a note  that bottles of wine are not included in the beverage packages

it is wine by the glass

If you want a different wine with each course  just mention that to the waiter  so they will not be bringing the same wine all night 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will swipe your card with the first drink only. You don't have to sign anything. 

I get the Basic package and my DH gets the Prestige package so we just make sure the server swipes each of our cards accordingly. So if I get a drink at the bar, I would have to sign for it.

Also, I am fairly sure that you can upgrade to the Premium package on any day of the cruise. It doesn't have to the be the first day. 

• Thanks 1

We are taking our first Oceania cruise (on Marina) this November -- 18 days, Med.  We had selected the drink package as our OLife option and I called Oceania yesterday to ask about upgrading to the prestige package.  They said this could not be done on-line nor by calling and (as noted above) must be done once you are on board.  The rep also said that an upgrade had to be purchased during the "first three days of the cruise."  I don't know if this time frame varies based on the length of the cruise but I pass  along what the rep said just for the sake of FYI.

1 hour ago, daleandrews said:

We are taking our first Oceania cruise (on Marina) this November -- 18 days, Med.  We had selected the drink package as our OLife option and I called Oceania yesterday to ask about upgrading to the prestige package.  They said this could not be done on-line nor by calling and (as noted above) must be done once you are on board.  The rep also said that an upgrade had to be purchased during the "first three days of the cruise."  I don't know if this time frame varies based on the length of the cruise but I pass  along what the rep said just for the sake of FYI.

They will charge for the entire trip upgrade. We do that too, as soon as we get onboard. Also the wifi streaming package. Then you just gorget about it. You know what your cost is, and no surprises later.

You should look at your bill on the room TV from time to time.

2 hours ago, daleandrews said:

The rep also said that an upgrade had to be purchased during the "first three days of the cruise."  I don't know if this time frame varies based on the length of the cruise but I pass  along what the rep said just for the sake of FYI.

That is the policy and that is what the rep knows. Many of them have never been on a cruise ship, they just work in a CSR center, some in Wichita, some in FL. My experience has been that you can upgrade any time up to the last day or so of the cruise. You will be charged for the remaining days. There are various reasons to wait to upgrade, one is that the Captain's Welcome(free drinks for 2 or 3 hours at various bars) is usually on the second evening. Ports vs sea days come into play. How much OBC you have, Whether you are a repeater or not etc. 

When you are dining in the past they have requested if you would like drink service to set your card on the table. Many times once they know who you are they don't always run the card. 

If you compare the price to Mass Market lines you'll see that it's a pretty good deal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the responses to my original post - very useful indeed and reassuring that the transactions should not detract from the convenience of holding a Prestige Select+ package.

May I slip in a supplementary question please. 

The 'menu' for the package lists a range of included cocktails. Both my preferred pre dinner cocktail (in a warm climate) - Mojito - and post dinner - Sidecar - are nowhere to be seen.

The alcoholic ingredients for both of these cocktails are on the 'included' list. Is it permissible to request these cocktails - within the Prestige package - assuming of course the bar person has the skills/recipe ?

Thank you again.       

10 minutes ago, machotspur said:

The 'menu' for the package lists a range of included cocktails. Both my preferred pre dinner cocktail (in a warm climate) - Mojito - and post dinner - Sidecar - are nowhere to be seen.

The alcoholic ingredients for both of these cocktails are on the 'included' list. Is it permissible to request these cocktails - within the Prestige package - assuming of course the bar person has the skills/recipe ?

Thank you again.       

If they have the ingredients  they will make what you want

They have a recipe book behind the bar  😉

Mojitos  on Martinis menu

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21_menus.htm#martinis

• Thanks 1